Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhduke

rhduke Contributing Member Reviewer

Olympics & Russia's Anti-Gay Law

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by rhduke, Feb 7, 2014.

So I'm sure most of you are aware that Russia passed a law banning homosexual "propaganda" to minors last year.

While the threat to LGBT rights is clear, the question is, do you think the Olympics should be used as a medium for human-rights messages that oppose Russia's stand on homosexuality? I'm talking about corporate advertising, news, boycotts and political gestures from your own city/country.

Or do you think it's unfair to raise the concern on the backs of athletes? Should the Olympics just be about the games and athletes while leaving out the social and political concerns of the country they are hosted in?

These are just some arguments I've been reading and was wondering how people here felt about it.

2. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Long long long ago the Olympics used to be about the athletics. Now it's all about the stories of the athletes whether they win a medal or not. Think back to the 1936 Olympics in Berlin when black man Jesse Owens won four gold medals in front of Adolph Hitler who believed whites were the superior race.

Fitzroy Zeph likes this.
  3. DPVP

DPVP Active Member

The Olympics have been held in totalitarian states with horrible human track records, torture, labor camps, and no one raises as much fuss as with Russia. i dont get why Russia attracts so much flack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.