Olympics

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by yellowm&M, Feb 13, 2010.

1. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I didn't agree with Celski's DQ, either. I 100% agree, it looked like he got pulled back and then the other skater tripped, but I thought Celski had been impeded first, so it seemed odd that they would DQ him and advance the other skater, when the other skater hadn't been in position to advance. But hey, I'm not the expert decision maker guy, so I guess I'll just have to let it go...

As for Celski being cute, he's too young for me. Apolo, on the other hand...

I mean, uh...I'm married! ;):p

2. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Russia vs. Czech Republic. Finland vs. Sweden. And of course the main event: the avenging of the 2010 World Junior Championship final. Just an hour to go until the first game. I'm so amped. Go Canada Go!

3. lessa

lessa New Member

Canada's female skating star's mother passed away last night of a heart attack. She had just arrived from Quebec to watch her daughter. She was 54 years old.
    But Joanny Rochet sp says she will still compete in honour of her mom.
    Sad day for the family and for Canadians.

4. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Wow, that is sad. :( Poor girl.

5. Agreen

That's such sad news :(

6. Agreen

Whoa, huge hit from Oveckin on Jaromir Jagr, one of the all time greats, which directly led to a Russian goal. I think that's the biggest play of the tournament so far, the Russians have finally arrived.

7. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Yeah I saw it as Celski being impeded then the other guy tripping.
    At the very least I didn't agree with his advancement, because whether he was or was not impeded by Celski, he was definately not in qualifying position.

*sigh*

well I'll shut up now, Celski does have a couple more races and he did win a bronze, so I'll content myself with that.

And I gotta say, Celski is cuter than Ohno. Besides he's only a few years older than me so it all works out

I'll take Celski and you take Ohno-I mean Joel :eek:

;)

8. Agreen

So this is it. The most important night in Canadian sports in like 8 years. It's finally here! In Vancouver, the police have asked liquor stores to close early, and according to the news there are already huge crowds out on the streets. It's going to be crazy, but I believe the time for us to redeem our national program is here!

The plus is we're carrying the play. The minus is Brodeur. Put Luongo in, and we take it.

9. Agreen

The scoreline sucks right now, but that's to be expected when your goalie decides to spot the other team a goal or two. Canada has 3x the shots, and an even greater proportion of the scoring chances. It's just a matter of time.

10. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

What's the score and who are they playing?

Sorry, they are not showing it here which blows, but is to be expected.

11. Agreen

2-1 usa.

Wait... 2-2 :D

And yeah, it's kind of funny that either way this game is going to be one of the biggest events of the Olympics for Canada, and for much of the rest of the world it's less important than ice dancing.

12. Speedy

Oh god, go Canada.

I can only image the rivalry with such a game!

13. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

*looks around to make sure coast in clear*

Go Canada!!

If anyone asks though, I said Go USA! since I'm supposed to root for them haha

14. Agreen

It's pretty intense. I would not be surprised if over half the country is watching this game- over 12 million watched the much less hyped game against Switzerland.

15. Speedy

Who cares about neutral countries though ;) just kidding.

I'm sure i'll hear about this on the news when car's are set on fire.

16. Agreen

That might happen either way :p I'd love to see the rematch in the gold medal game.

17. Speedy

Off topic (but on topic)

Russia, they have the games next don't they?

If they do, i cant wait.

18. Agreen

Next winter games is in Russia. The best hockey player in the world right now is Russian, so I'm really hoping the NHL sends their players to the Olympics in 2014. The crowd might not be as crazy as it is here for hockey, but it'll be intense.

19. Agreen

Edit: may as well post here to avoid triple posting.

We lost. It's not technically over for this team, but it's over. We'll win in qualification, maybe take our quarterfinal. If a miracle happens, we may even win in the semis, but I can't see it. So much anticipation and excitement, and it's gone. That's what I love and hate about sports, it's powerful stuff :)

Much will be said about Canada blowing it, and surely that's the story Canadian papers will run with, but I disagree. Full credit to the Americans. Despite facing a team of all-stars, of hall of famers, in a building full of Canadians desperate for a win, they played the better game. Tonight, though Canada did outplay them in terms of possession, shots, and chances, the US were the better team. The difference in this game was Ryan Miller, and Martin Brodeur. One is criminally underrated, the lone bright spot on a Buffalo team that- without him- is not playoff calibre. The other is lauded as perhaps the greatest goaltender to ever play the game. Miller courageously led his team to victory, Brodeur dragged his team down to failure. One team made the most of every single opportunity, the other squandered dozens. Bottom line, we did not lose this game, the team that wanted it more won. Congratulations Team USA, you deserve the medal you are going to win on Canadian ice. I'm crushed :(

20. bahloo

bahloo New Member

I'm in disbelief, totally heartbroken. I can't believe the sudden change of events....

On the other hand, I entirely agree with Agreen, Brodeur engaged in some....peculiar saves/plays that game and Ryan Miller was standing on his head. Unfortunately for most of us Canadians, Ice Hockey is the one event that we really care about and need to win for pride's sake. I'm now praying for a Luongo start and a miracle in the qualification round.

21. Agreen

Pretty much. Without one, tonight's failure will become the enduring image of these Olympics for Canada. A shocking failure of a game. With all our talent, the deepest talent pool in the world, we never led. We were barely even tied. I sincerely hope this is the last game Brodeur ever suits up for Canada. Compared to how this feels, the terrible showing in Turin 2006 was like losing an exhibition game.

Edit: Actually, scrap that. It's natural in the wake of a loss like this to abandon all hope (I mean, I'm a Leafs fan, that's what I do). But thinking about this logically, now that the emotions of the game are passed, I think we've still got a shot. Bear in mind at this point in 2002, Canada had an even worse record. It took the absolute best effort of the US, including an extraordinary performance from Miller, to beat a sub-par Canadian outing highlighted by an abysmal performance from Brodeur. The majority of the game was dominated by Canada, and I'm convinced if the team put more emphasis on going to the net, they'd have beaten Miller more often. Unless Babcock decides to throw the tournament and not start Luongo, Canada's beating Germany. Russia is the key. If we beat Russia, I don't think we'll lose in the semis, and then we're playing for Gold. If we're playing for Gold, based on the current bracket, we're almost certainly playing the US. And, while the US deserved their win last night, Canada is still overall a much better team. I've read a few articles from American writers trashing Canada (team and country) and acting like the gold is already theirs. It's not.

22. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Why do people do that? In sports, nothing is ever certain, that's why the game is played. Otherwise, we'd all place our bets in Las Vegas and the best team with the highest ranking would be declared the winner...no need to take the ice. Every team that remains had to achieve their current place and is a threat to go all the way. Anyone remember the original "Miracle on Ice"?

23. Agreen

It is a big win for the American hockey program, their first Olympic hockey win over Canada in 50 years. Especially if they were reporting from Vancouver I have no doubt they were on the receiving end of some trash talk leading up to the game. But yeah, last night, like the NFC Championship and the Superbowl was a perfect example of the fact that it doesn't matter what team's better in theory or on paper, it's who plays the better game.

Speaking of the Miracle on Ice, I hate that sportscasters are trying to draw comparisons between it and last night's game. The first is one of the biggest upsets in sports history. The 2nd was a huge upset, but not an unthinkable one- in this thread days before the game I remember discussing the possibility of Miller stealing the game, and that I was worried about Canada's goaltending. I didn't think it would happen, but I also didn't think it couldn't. Canada were favourites, and if they play again they still should be, but the margin of difference was like an NFL all-star team vs. a decent NFL team, not an NFL all-star team vs. a CFL team.

24. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Go America!

That is all ;)

25. Agreen

Go Switzerland/Belarus :p (j/k)

As if to rub it in, today is the first time in weeks the weather here has been like an actual Canadian winter. So I'm snowed in. And there's no Olympic hockey. I get three channels showing the games. They are all showing curling.