Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Omg i went in a pot store today, a retail store!

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by GingerCoffee, Aug 3, 2015.

We've come a long way, Baby.

Not saying if I bought anything mind you. :p

Wasn't sure where to post this, don't know how people feel about it. But for me, it was ... different.

2. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contest Administrator Contributor

Pot as in marijuana? Wow just wow... this world is doomed.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  3. GingerCoffee

Pot as in marijuana.

"Crack" in my vocabulary is meth, not pot.

4. theoriginalmonsterman

Let me fix my comment then

5. Kingtype

Kingtype Always writing or thinking things XD Staff Role Play Moderator Contributor

?

Crack is meth?

Perhaps its a time thing or where we live refer to certain drugs differently but meth has always simply been a shortened term for methamphetamine (crystal meth, meth, crystal etc) and crack (as in crack cocaine) has always simply just been called crack. Then again there are different kinds of each and ways of using them. (well crack is just freebase form of cocaine if I recall correctly)

But generally speaking aren't they two different drugs?

6. frateraio

frateraio New Member

This is a great thing, no more wasting tax money on locking up pot-heads, save the jail space for real criminals and let people buy marijuana legally.

JadeX likes this.
  7. GingerCoffee

Oh yeah, you're right, crack as in rock cocaine for smoking. I was confusing 'crank' with crack. Drugs aren't my thing exactly.

8. Kingtype

Kingtype Always writing or thinking things XD Staff Role Play Moderator Contributor

That's good.

Drugs (well hard drugs) shouldn't be anybody's thing unless needed.

I myself have never done meth nor crack (shit you couldn't pay me to put that meth in my body) but alas a lot of my uncles and aunts grew up back in the 70s and 80s, told me a lot fascinating stories. So I kinda have done quite a bit of research into them.

.......Really wanna write a drug addict at some point :p

9. theoriginalmonsterman

I know marijuana is used for medical purposes, but are we just welcoming drug dealers into America? Obviously the marijuana won't be only used for medical purposes. People will obviously smoke it and this will just influence the younger generation to smoke it as well which will make a generation of drug addicts. Has this world gone insane?

10. frateraio

frateraio New Member

personally, I don't consider any living organism a 'drug'. marijuana is a living thing
    If Alcohol can be used responsibly, then so can Marijuana. just because they are both drugs doesn't mean there aren't ways to use them correctly.

But there are bad ways to use both of them too(for example, addiction)

11. GingerCoffee

It's absurd that pot is illegal rather than just taxed and regulated. The only reason it became a class 1 controlled substance in the first place had to do with bigotry and politics.

People smoke it, so what? What causes the problems is equating it to hard drugs. If you eliminate the arbitrary criminalization, alcohol abuse is much worse as far as costs to society go.

12. GingerCoffee

Really? So Foxglove and Deadly Nightshade are not 'drugs'?

I think your definition is a bit problematic.

However, this I agree with:

13. frateraio

frateraio New Member

There are 'drugs' inside literally every single living thing. The most potent hallucinogenic substance (N-N-DMT) is found inside our brains as well as thousands of plant species. I read the reports online about people smoking it, and it seems pretty intense.

14. GingerCoffee

OK, so how do you decide Magic Mushrooms or Peyote or Marijuana are not drugs? You seem to be conflating 'natural' with 'not a drug' and that makes no sense to me.

15. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributing Member

Medicinal purposes, only, right @GingerCoffee? Or are you conducting research?

:agreed:

16. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Personally, I think it's a step forward. I'm all in favour. I've seen too many good people branded as criminals for simply smoking a spliff, and had their employment prospects completely scuppered as a consequence.

There was an article recently in the national press in which a high ranking cop said, (I'm paraphrasing) that crimes such as burglary were no longer being investigated due too much emphasis on busting small-time marijuana growers, at a time when resources are spread too thin.

Here in Belfast, much of the drug running is controlled by the paramilitaries. If it were to be made legal, or at the very least decriminalised they would lose a substantial part of their income. I'm all in favour of that. As it stands, more and more people are looking to grow their own, so that they are not inadvertently dumping money in these groups coffers. The cops and legal system here have significantly mellowed in their meting out of drug related punishments. Home growers tend to get a smack on the wrist, a court appearance, and have their sentence commuted to probation and community service.

Unfortunately, our very vocal religious politicians will fight any attempt to legalise/decriminalise, in just the same way they are holding back other issues such as marriage equality, abortion rights, etc. So I'm not holding out any hope that I can legally smoke a joint any time soon.

(Like that's gonna stop me! ;) )

17. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributing Member

But still smoke / have no problem with cancerous cigarettes, right?

18. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

I'm so jealous, Ginger. :(

I'm all for legalizing pot, but unfortunately I live in the pearl-necklace part of Europe. The reason why I wish it was legal is actually truly because of the pain relief it can provide. When you've watched chronic pain destroy the person you love the most, you can't help but feel blind anger towards the politicians who think it's better to criminalize Thing X instead of trust their citizens to use it responsibly and towards the people who want to keep it decriminalized (while they're perfectly ok getting drunk and rowdy every weekend).

Despite all the problems you guys have in the US, I'd move there in a heartbeat if I got the chance (meaning, the money). I'd make a good, productive citizen too. Wouldn't be a big burden, promise.

19. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Old Scratch Contributor

Prohibition (of all drugs, but the weed laws are the most obviously flawed example) invites drug dealers into America. It hands the industry over to the gangs instead of the government, and I'd rather have a few more addicts than a few more shootouts. I'm inclined to extend that to other drugs as well, though those are generally somewhat more threatening.

What is a "hard drug"? Heroin? Adderall? Whiskey? Tobacco?

I'm not asking that because I think their risks are the same, but because the term often serves as an artificial social distinction, similar to the classic "drugs and alcohol" line. There's a whole crowd of people who accept weed but still think everything else came from the pits of Hell.

Void likes this.
  20. Adenosine Triphosphate

If weed isn't a drug because it's a plant, then neither is datura, mandrake, deadly nightshade, foxglove, peyote, psilocybin, caffeine, morphine, cocaine (found in coca leaves), or tobacco in its natural state. Extend the premises slightly, and alcohol may be exempt as well, since it's produced by natural bacterial fermentation.

21. Void

Void Contributing Member

Personally, I'm all for legalisation, regulation and taxation of Marijuana, among other drugs. Not for my own ends, of course, since it is fairly trivial to have any drug known to man delivered to your door over night for a fair price with the advent of certain sections of the internet. Not that I would know, I just heard it from someone who isn't me ...
    Ah, the law enforcement agencies, when will they cease this petulant and costly game of whack-a-mole against the drug trade when it's clear people will continue to remain several steps ahead of them?

22. Adenosine Triphosphate

You have to adjust for dosage and method of ingestion as well. For example, neither amphetamine, methylphenidate, or oxycodone are tremendously toxic at low oral doses, and the first two cause far less impairment than alcohol, provided their consumption does not lead to sleep deprivation. They are, however, addictive, prone to lapses in judgement by both medical and recreational users.

IV use is a different story, as are binges. It's a similar to how highly impure or highly potent alcohol is more dangerous than commercial beer or wine, except more extreme.

23. Adenosine Triphosphate

When we start seeing drugs as medicines and molecules with negative drawbacks instead of malevolent, semi-sentient beings that take out their users' souls.

24. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Yup...that's about the height of it.

25. GingerCoffee

Heroin and meth are examples of hard drugs and the distinction I'm making has to do with ruining people's lives. Not too many people dabble with those two drugs, they use and become addicts. And very few people addicted to heroin or meth eventually clean up. There are some, but it's a small percentage.

It's not an artificial distinction.

26. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

I'd legalize possession of hard drugs as well, and get people out of the shadows, encourage them to get treatment, get non-violent offenders out of the prison system, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.