1. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Road Trips

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bluemouth, Nov 21, 2008.

I think it's universally agreed that road trips are a heap of fun. The changing scenery, locations, way of life ...

What are some of your favourite road trips? Where'd you go, what'd you do? I've always thought a road trip from the bottom of the Florida Keys across the plains and desert to the forests of Washington would be an amazing experience. It's on my list of things to do before I die.

The reason I ask is simply because my girlfriend and I decided to go for a short night drive last night to chill out. We headed out around 11pm but ended up driving all through the night to the border. It was incredible going through all the countryside as dawn seeped over the horizon. We both agreed it was one of the best experiences of our lives. And I always get that feeling when I'm on a road trip.

Here's a map of South Australia. We headed out from Adelaide and crossed the border past Bordertown. It looks like a short distance on the map, but it's deceptive. We arrived home at 7.30am! :)

[​IMG]

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Every now and then my family makes the great road trip to grandma's house for christmas. Oh course christmas is always a blast especially when the whole family going back three generations can get together for a jolly old time, but I like the trip there too. There's something oh so fun about sitting in the seat listening to christmas carols (with occasional rock to break the monotony since I really don't like christmas carols :p) but seeing the scenery fly by is great. I think its the same thing that causes dogs to stick their heads out the window... or maybe they just like the wind blowing in their face...

3. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I used to go on road trips with my mate Nikki all the time. Our most freaky one was the Blair Witch/Wolf Creek road trip... never again! lol! Another we freaked a friend out on the way to the coast... poor girl nearly died of a heart attack. (She has never got in the car with us again. lol!)

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

What are some of your favourite road trips? Where'd you go, what'd you do?

waaaaay too many to list... or, you could say the entire two and a half years i spent rv-ing alone throughout the us and canada was one great road trip!... i went coast to coast and border to border in the us, coast to coast and as far north as 'the pas' in manitoba [almost to hudson's bay!] in canada... and did so several times... with a month-long transatlantic voyage on my favorite greek luxury liner as a 'road break' somewhere in between...

but, up there for a close second would have to be the time i treated myself to my very first 'own' new car--a $50k sage green '86 jaguar van den plas!... my kids were on their court-enforced 'visitation' with their dad, so i just loaded up my favorite cassettes and left westport, ct with the moonroof and stereo wide open, happily blasting the beatles, eagles, mariachi and classical favorites all the way up to a circumnavigation of nova scotia and back... sheer heaven!!!

5. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

When me and some of my friends graduate from college we're going to take a road trip across the United States lol
    Which means I got to save up my money from here and out!
    I enjoyed driving up to Niagra Falls with my family.
    *Sigh*
    memories

6. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

I passed my driving test recently, so I have been thinking of driving to Spain the next time I go. However France and Spain both drive on the different side of the road, and not that i like to stereotype but they all become insane when behind the wheel.

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I must report that I have had one bad road trip.

When my family's assignment was up at Hickam AFB in Hawaii and we were stationed to Patrick AFB in Melbourne, FL, my dad thought it would be a good idea (pronounced: cheaper) to drive from L.A. to Melbourne, FL.

It almost cost us our family! :eek::redface:

8. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I love road trips. I have to take them periodically. I have a bad case of wanderlust, so if I go for more than a couple months without going somewhere, I start to get restless and depressed.

I've never done a road trip out west, though. The furthest west I've gone is Tennessee. I would love to drive to Colorado or California since I have family in both of those places now, but I currently can't afford it. Maybe in the summer.