OMG Robin Williams killed himself!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by GingerCoffee, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

*pushes nerd-glasses up*

Actually, the proper term is Kre'Tua. They are a sub-section of trolls (whom they hate.) They look kinda like Gollum from the movies, only they have greenish-black skin, longer fangs, red eyes and horns growing out of their heads. They're an amphibian species, living in the hot muggy swamps chiefly around the equator. They mainly feast on insects, fish, and small animals, but centuries of frightening human children have led them to being the source of the evil Boogey-Man in children's literature. The truth is, they fear humans. Millions of times more than humans do them, and that's why they scare the humans; to warn them to stay away.

The 'word' cretin, however, is a nasty word to call them, it's offensive. So don't call them that. Robin Williams, however, was a human, or more specifically, a homo-sapien.

~*~*~*~
    ...Sorry, was trying to add some humor. :( RIP, Robin Williams. You were, by far, the most hilarious and entertaining actor I've seen.

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

R.I.P. Robin Williams. It's painfully, morbidly ironic that depression got the best of a comedian -- sadly not the first time this has happened.

And even though he distinguished himself as a comedian, my favorite role of his was in Dead Poets Society.

I can see you're exercising your right to express your opinion, but how about expressing it in a less flam-y way -- and if this is some joke we're supposed to get, you as a writer must be fully aware this post will read disrespectful and distasteful to a lot of people, so it seems to me you're intentionally pushing our buttons. Uncool.

3. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

RIP Robin Williams. This is such heartbreaking news. He was an amazing actor, and I am so heartbroken for his family. I'm watching 'What Dreams May Come' one of my favorites :(

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Shocked, my brother just told me. Such a versatile actor, loved him in Insomnia. Saddened for his family, will keep them in my prayers.

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Mine, too. Also Good Will Hunting and What Dreams May Come. He had an amazing facility for lacing his serious work with humor and his comedic work with gravitas.

123456789 likes this.
  6. EdFromNY

"Hey, I found you in hell. I can find you in New Jersey."

Trish likes this.
  7. Trish

I thought I was the only one that loved that movie, lol. No one ever knows what I'm talking about. Thank you :)

EdFromNY likes this.
  8. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

R.I.P. At least he left an extensive legacy for future generations to know him by. He made millions of people laugh and continues to do so even from behind the grave, which is more than most people can say.

123456789 and minstrel like this.
  9. aikoaiko

aikoaiko Senior Member

I hope no one would say the same for you in the event of your own demise.:dry:

10. Link the Writer

I agree, apparently 'never speak ill of the dead' wasn't taught to bythegods. Whatever your personal opinions of the man, the guy just died. He deserves our respect. We cannot imagine the pain his wife and children are going through, and I'm sure they would really appreciate it if people like bythegods don't say things like, "I could never stand that cretin." How would bythegods feel if we said the same about someone he loved that died?

Robin Williams, his wife and daughter will all be in my prayers. No one deserves to be going through the kind of hell Robin Williams must've gone through, and the kind of hell his wife and daughter are going through right now. :( *hugs them through the internet*

11. EdFromNY

I have a sneaking suspicion that those who are posting their outrage at the comment of @bythegods are merely contributing to his entertainment.

12. Link the Writer

Good point. Our attention should be toward Robin Williams and his family, not some angry little man who likely trolled to get attention. Let's now direct our attention toward Robin Williams and his family. :)

One of my favorite Robin Williams movies was Dead Poet's Society. Swear to God, I watched it wanting him to be my English teacher. xD

13. EdFromNY

I actually had an English teacher who was little like John Keating. He managed to get our assigned reading list changed in junior year, dropping Animal Farm, which almost everyone had already read on their own, and replacing it with Catch-22. For an all-boys Catholic school in 1969, that was revolutionary stuff. And once, when the class got out of hand, he lost it (the only time all year I saw it happen) and yelled, "Stop fucking around!" We were impressed. If the school's Prefect of Discipline (yes, there really was such a person) had heard that, the teacher would have been in a lot more trouble than us. I was sad to see him leave.

Link the Writer likes this.
  14. Link the Writer

I would've loved to have him as my teacher. :D

15. EdFromNY

Trish likes this.
  16. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've had two teachers who were rather like John Keating, and between them they produced the monster who now goes by the name of 'Lemex'. :D

Seriously though, I love those guys. Was lucky enough to work for one of them last year, and the other I keep in touch with - and did my MA reference for me just last month. Teachers like that are so rare they are a gift.

outsider likes this.
  17. Trish

EdFromNY likes this.
  18. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

19. Lemex

20. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

Words can't accurately enough articulate my contempt for these shitheads.

T.Trian, minstrel and Lemex like this.
  21. JamesBrown

JamesBrown Active Member

You're entitled to believe he was a "cretin" but there's a universality of someone ending their life by their own hands that, in the case of most well rounded people, should produce some empathy and sympathy.

The mental torment he must have been suffering must have been intense.

I'd recommend you read 'Spinning Gears' by Ryunosuke Akutagawa - written shortly before he overdosed on barbiturates - to vicariously experience this.

I actually think you're just playing up to a persona you want to portray.

Lemex likes this.
  22. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Trish likes this.
  23. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

Happy to see that most people react humanely. I think that some (most) are just trolls, but, few might try to use this situation to show off there opinions of suicide. It's mean when people target not only the person but also his/hers family.

24. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

The funny thing is, most of the time those people who are loud and obnoxious online are timid pussies when you meet them face to face; suddenly they're quiet and meek when they are no longer in the safety of the virtual world. In fact, all such people I've met IRL (e.g. at meets) have turned out to be cowards who shit themselves at the slightest threat of physical violence. But in their own way, they're pretty amusing IRL. :D

sunsplash and Cogito like this.
  25. Lemex

'Spinning Gears' is a wonderful story.