Ominous Minds

Discussion in 'Archive' started by JessWrite, May 6, 2013.

1. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

David let out a grunt and then turned to glare at the perpetrator of the pain.

He looked as if he wanted to shout but he calmed himself and spoke to her in an orderly fashion. "Its okay miss." He said with faint smile. His flickered away from her for a moment and seemed to be trying to see what was behind her back. He'd know the feeling of a Bot to the back of his head.

It had happened before. "So was your Bot damaged by my head?" He asked

JessWrite likes this.
  2. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Piper: Etiquette Not Destruction...

It had happened before. "So was your Bot damaged by my head?" He asked.

She knew it was ridiculous to try to hide the little gadget. Tentatively she open her hand, revealing the stunned Bot. "I don't think so, but I don't know a whole lot about these things. Teddy gave this one to me for my birthday last week." Now why had she admitted that? Logic dictated that she hold her tongue, but she felt like she knew him some how. There was a vague familiarity poking at her consciousness.

Mentally backpedaling, Piper remembered her manners. Shifting the Bot to one hand she held out the other. "Piper Rhodes, nice to meet you."

JessWrite likes this.
  3. Kingtype

He gripped her hand tightly and shook it. "David Stanfield son of the deceased." He said still rubbing his head with his free hand.

David bit his lip unsure of what to say. He wasn't good with conversation with new people.

JessWrite likes this.
  4. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Stella

With the attention no longer on herself, Stella decided to grab the rare opportunity to take in the scene. Being an actress, she was used to not catching a breath. In fact, it was quite nice to gaze around the familiar room surrounded by her father's most prized possessions.

Careful to watch her step as David directed, Stella walked across the crimson carpet towards a bookshelf in the room. It held a variety of treasures on its shelves; a globe of the world, a marbled horse head, folded hands of gold, a bonsai tree, a mini replica of the Eiffel tower, and more of interest. Yet what Stella wanted to see was from her childhood.

A heart-shaped locket, draped on an ivory jewelry bust. The only item in the mansion that was concealed by glass framing. Stella walked near it, her blue eyes squinting to see the swirled letters engraved in the middle, v e r u m. She lay her small hand on the glass, leaving smudged fingerprints. How she had always longed to see what was inside of it, but not once had Father let any of the children.

Tears welled again at her thoughts of Father. Why did he have to be murdered? It didn't make sense to her at all. And now he was truly gone, forever...

Stella closed her eyes, the events finally overwhelming her. Her shoulders shook as she put a hand to her lips, her breaths coming quickly. There the Hollywood actress stood, breaking down in silent mourning.

5. Kingtype

Crashing DOWN!!

And as people mourned, gloated and or caught up with old friends. Someone held a gun in there and a low clicking sound could be heard.

Then it was fired!!!

Five gunshot sounds rang out and before anyone could react the bullets that were fired smashed into the various lights that were keeping the large room lit.

But that wasn't all as the room went darker sixth shot was fired it proceeded to take out the massive chandelier. Flashes from the falling glass could bee seen as the thing fell in almost slow motion.

It crashed to the hard floor glass went everywhere and of course people began rushing for the doors in a panic. Even the priest who was at the funeral discarded his bible and in his hurry for safety knocked the casket over. Richard's body spilled out and it was nearly as awful as David had said.

The body had stitches going up its stomach obviously it was pale and lifeless but the worst part was Richard's face which almost looked like an older Lester's was twisted in a horrified expression. His mouth was extended far enough that it almost looked alien, his eyes sunken in and black.

As the dust settled only a certain number of people stood as they had either avoided the massive crowd by being pressed up against the walls or on higher ground.

Various people lay on the ground not dead but injured with pieces of glass stuck in them or trampled and suffering from broken bones.

Of course the various chairs, food tables and pretty much any other piece of furniture had been standing had been knocked over.

The only people who stood after the dust had settled were the Stanfields (with the exception of Richard of course), Joe, Piper, Teddy, Jay, Eddie, The Valentine, Lincoln, Roland and Kubi plus her friends.

Most of them of course shocked others brushing themselves off and of course some of them went into work mode as soon as the shots were fired. Whether that work be criminal or law.

JessWrite likes this.
  6. mmarage

mmarage The Detective Contributor

I looked up at the chandelier as it fell, as the dust was settling I was quickly looking for the perpetrator that had fired the gun, I couldn't give a damn about my appearance, someone had tried to take the lives of innocent, or not so innocent people, it may also have been a distraction for something else, if that were the case then I MUST stop them before they try to carry out their plan.

JessWrite likes this.
  7. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

Kubi screamed at the sudden panic, she was knocked over by the rushing crowd landing on her back, she scrambled away almost being trampled and nimbly ran up the wall, leaping just as gravity was about to take her she grabbed the a window ledge and hoisted herself up and away fro the rushing crowds, like a cat climbing a tree in fear of danger. The other carnies made a break for it but in the confusion lost where she was. From her perch she had a clear view of Stanfields body, her face wrenched at the sight of him. She looked away, but she kept one eye on him, and in her digust, a smigde of sadness and pity leaked through.

"Who could do such a sin?" She muttered.

JessWrite likes this.
  8. TheLeonard112

TheLeonard112 Sūpākūru Senpai

Eddie Cartwright

Eddie sat there with his father, then loud shots went off. Eddie didn't become scared, but he was on his guard. Immediately after the light in the room had disappeared. Suddenly glass broke, the sound rung in Eddie's ears. He dropped the Photo Album and stood to his feet not being able to see anything. Once the lights had come back on, his old man was gone, and there were only few people left.

Eddie slowly walked over a grabbed his overcoat and hat and draped himself in them. Soon enough he noticed the dead body of Mr.Stanfield on the ground. He almost vomited inside of his own mouth, yet he stopped himself with one finger laid upon his lips.

Once he had regained what his situation was he starred at the body for a little while longer. He was traumatized and could only mutter the words, "This is a hard boiled, and completely foul situation. Who would do this..?" His face was struck with a frown and he just stood there in the middle of all the commotion. He clutched his fists together tightly showing his veins in his hands. He was quite angry, the position someone had put his friend in.

JessWrite likes this.
  9. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

It was an impressive event that no one had time to react.
    Impressive, yet probably common for many here.

Shots could be heard.... how ironic, is that they can be heard, yet can't be seen. Human senses combined with physic's laws, truly make these events unfair.
    The chandelier fell and it broke into several pieces, spreading the ferocious blades of glass to any unlucky fellow who happened to be close... Such as The Valentine himself
    Two shard of glasses wanted to taste The Valentine's flesh and blood.... they traveled to his face, mercilessly wanting to devour their prey...
    But they were unnable to. The face didn't flinch and stood there motionless, so The Valentine didn't avoid it.
    Instead the two shards were now caught, one between his thumb and index, the other between his index and middle finger. In other words, The Valentine caught the shards in mid air with his bare hands. Such reflexes work as a proof of how skilled this man was

Judging for the way of the attack, they were targeting someone. They purposelly tried to bring down the lights. This was though an event caused by someone who wasn't to be known.

He closed his eyes, keeping thoughts to himself...
    It was fairly obvious, the person was inside within them.... and also at a fair distance of the chandelier, either that or it just stepped down.

He had the perfect idea to find who was, but he wouldn't interfere, after all to modify the birth information was against his policy

JessWrite likes this.
  10. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

Lincoln

He had been about to say something back to the bombshell in red when he heard the shots fired. Immediately, instinct kicked in and he dove down, taking the girl with him, shielding her with his body.

Once everything calmed down, he pushed himself up, and brushed off bits of broken glass. He looked around, and once he was sure that it was safe, he held his left hand out to help Red up. In his right hand was a small, two shot derringer pistol that seemed to have appeared out of nowhere.

"Are you all right?" he asked the girl as he kept scanning the room, looking for any sign of who could have done the shooting. Then he saw old Stanfield's corpse laying upturned on the ground, his casket toppled.

"S***," he whispered, looking at the horrible sight.

JessWrite likes this.
  11. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Teddy: Is This the Handbasket to Hell?

Teddy bolted from the cloak room at the sound of the gun shots. His blood ran cold as countless shrieks of terror filled the air and the welling darkness. One scream he recognized above all the others and sent him running as fast as he could into the heart of the mayhem. "Pippa!" He roared trying desperately to maneuver in the throng. "Pippa, where are you?"

Frantic, he pulled his Bot out his pocket and lobbed it into the air. It dialed Piper's number. Her Bot trilled feebly across the room. His wingtips, now scuffed and dusty, crunched and slid on the shattered glass as he forged through the mess. He winced when he saw the tortured mortal remains of Richard Stanfield. What had triggered such violence?

He had seen some dark things, knew what people were capable of, it came with the territory, given his field of profession. But this was an enlightened age. To see such brutality was almost like looking back in time. This killer was a savage.

Finally he spotted his quarry. Piper's bright grey eyes found his through the gloom. Burying the discomfiting thoughts about the dead, he focused on the living. Hurrying across the remaining expanse of once pristine carpet, he loomed above the others like a bear with an abscessed tooth.

Reaching out with one large hand, he caught the back of Piper's sweater and hauled her to her feet. He launched his tirade broadside. "Dammit, Pippa! I told you to wait in the hall. Why the hell can't you ever listen? You could have been killed."

Piper nearly choked on her tears, her temper giving her courage. "Do you think I planned this, you idiot?!" She yelled, rounding on him like a fury. Her Bot was once more airborne and dutifully clouting Teddy about the head. "I didn't want to be here in the first place. I came only as a favor to Mama."

She scrubbed a soiled sleeve across her bloodied lip, bringing attention to the bruise that was rapidly spreading across her right check bone. "I told you I had a bad feeling about this, but you wouldn't listen."

JessWrite likes this.
  12. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

A cry of horror and agony rang out through the crowd. Roland held his hands against his puffy cheeks and his eyes welled up with tears. "My desserts!" He exclaimed sorrowfully. In the moment of hysteria his lemon tarts, cream puffs, blackberry pies, and everything else had been knocked off the tables and trampled upon. He'd spent the last 3 days baking those. He knelt down and couldn't help the tear the went down his cheek at the sight of his wonderful food on the floor.
    At the moment it didn't appear that anyone had been killed by the gunshots. (He had taken a moment to look before noticing the refreshment table.) None but his precious desserts. "I'll get the monster who caused this!" Roland declared jumping to his feet. It was then he noticed Cupcake (Kobi), precariously balanced on a window sill. How had she gotten up there?

JessWrite likes this.
  13. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Ruthie and Lester

"Help! Lester? David? Stella? Mother?!" Ruthie squealed, pushing her way through the chaos. She was shaking terribly. Tears streamed as she cradled her arm, a small piece of glass lodged in her palm. She'd thought it couldn't get any worse than that, but there her father lay in a heap on the floor. Ruthie's face turned a deathly shade of white upon seeing the horror. Her heart fluttered, her head grew lighter, and colorful spots floated in front of her eyes. She would have fainted, if not for the firm grip on her shoulder.

"I got you, Ruthie." Lester muttered. "Let's get you out of here..." His brown eyes flickered with concern before seriousness set in. The gun shots had put fear in his heart, but he wouldn't dare show it.

Ruthie whimpered as her tears continued to fall. "My hand...it hurts."

"Mother will fix you up." Lester said simply. In one sweep, he picked her up off her feet to carry her in his arms. While stepping away from their father and into the midst of fallen people, he whispered in her ear. "Do me a favor will you, Ruth? Close your eyes."

Ruthie did as she was told, hugging closer. "How could that have happened? Lester...we...we could've all..."

Lester grunted and made his way towards a less occupied area. "Hush and stop worrying. We're fine."

How had guns went unseen? Who would bring a gun to a funeral in the first place? To kill? For publicity? His grip went tighter at the thoughts. Lester swore he'd get to the bottom of this.

14. Kingtype

David's face was for once actually surprised. He looked away from his father on the floor.

He may have been a man of little emotion but he couldn't stomach something like that.

His eye widened in sadness as he spoke. "Lets everybody calm down. Can someone call 911 with their Bot and is anybody hurt? Mother? Stella?" David nodded toward Lester as he saw him taking Ruthie out of the room.

JessWrite likes this.
  15. lixAxil

For the first time they heard the voice of The Valentine, only allowed to the reception until now.
    It was a deep voice, the type that usually belongs to lone wolf or ruthless man...
    However what he said was probably not something that would had been expected for him.

"Jeez! I totally forgot my bot... I can't call sorry... But I think someone here may know first aid... I think... uum probably the medics will take time to appear...."

He then scratched his head... he knew that involving was a bad idea, but his life may be in risk. Who knows? perhaps he was the target.

"Oh.. I want to say something!!" said with a carefree tone, that suddenly morphed into a serious tone, as if it were to be a different person now

"No one leave this hall... the perpetrator may be still here. I suggest all to go under a revision to check if they carry any hidden weapon within them"

He then tossed a knife in front of him, showing his own weapon.

JessWrite likes this.
  16. mmarage

"I don't have a bot... and I do have a pistol with me, it's for self defense, I've made some enemies or possible suspects that tries to attack and kill me, but you can check, it hasn't been fired recently and it's fully loaded." I said, I pulled out a 9mm handgun and took the clip out and unloaded the one in the chamber, putting it back into the clip, its safety was on and it was warm, but that was probably due to body heat. "Did anyone see what happened, where everyone was during the shooting?" I asked.

JessWrite likes this.
  17. Kingtype

"I have nothing but my Bot." David said taking his bot and throwing it into the pile along with the knife that The Valentine had thrown in.

The Bot itself explained why he just didn't call the police. It had been broken in the chaos. But David knew there was more important things had hand but it was an annoyance.

David turned to Joe. "I was with you."

JessWrite likes this.
  18. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

Kubi jumped down gracefully beside the cook, she she was spooked and trembled a little, but seemed alright and supriceingly calm.

"No one leave this hall... the perpetrator may be still here. I suggest all to go under a revision to check if they carry any hidden weapon within them"

"You're a bit late for that mister, I think everyone save us and the wounded ran outside and, I doubt the attacker would stay this long." She turned her attention patted the Cheff on the back, "You okay big guy?"

JessWrite likes this.
  19. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

"Unless you count black licorice as a weapon, I have only my bot on me." Roland replied, still bemoaning the demise of his precious desserts. It was only as he moved his arm, that he noticed a piece of glass had lodged itself in his meaty shoulder. He pulled it out with a wince and threw the piece of glass in a nearby trashcan before pressing down on the cut with his hand. "Is anybody hurt? Or were those gunshots just a warning of something worse yet to come?"

"You okay big guy?" Cupcake asked coming beside him and patting him on the back.
    "Yes..." He said with a sniff as he looked back at the sweet-tasting carnage. "As well as one can be when their beautiful work of art is demolished in such a way." He sighed. "What about you? Any glass get ya?"

JessWrite likes this.
  20. lixAxil

"You're a bit late for that mister, I think everyone save us and the wounded ran outside and, I doubt the attacker would stay this long." She turned her attention patted the Cheff on the back, "You okay big guy?"

The Valentine considered the words of the woman, she was indeed right.
    He wasn't a detective, but his skills were close to one, due to his nature.

"I'll play the role of mister Joe here and state something fairly obvious. It's possible that our shooting guy is not working alone... so even if he run, everyone here is equal suspicious".

He then took the gun of Joe and checked the loader, confirming that what he said was true.

After that he readied the gun, and aimed at Joe.....
    A bit of tension...
    *click*

"The safe works fine it seems.. don't worry I didn't loaded it..."
    Though I should avoid to drag attention for now. It was childish to aim him with an unloaded gun, just to check the safe.

He then put the gun with the other weapons, safe on and not loaded.

JessWrite likes this.
  21. mmarage

I had watched him calmly, not flinching when he aimed at me. "Alright... well let's see... instead of asking who did it for now, let's ask why? If this is just a distraction then we're wasting time while the culprit is committing another crime." I said, I glanced at Mr. Stanfield's corpse. "...The murderer was brutal, very brutal... they killed him out of hatred, possibly jealousy." I thought, I looked back at the man that had my gun, I held my hand out for it. "We've established that the safety works, and that it was fully loaded and hasn't been discharged, may I please have that back, our culprit is armed and dangerous." I said.

JessWrite likes this.
  22. lixAxil

"You're free to take it" answered The Valentine...

"Yet only having a weapon is a matter of suspicion... however it would be a cliche if the detective is the culprit, don't you think so?" said with a friendly tone.

"Honestly, I think this is something of a different nature. But people won't feel composed if someone freely carries a weapon.. Hence I think we all will keep an eye on you" stated the man with the black shirt and long brown coat.

"Or they may rely on you, if you go like the hero with the gun... is up to them"..... continued the man.

"In short, although no one here is free of suspicion, I'm glad that a man like you happened to show" said while offering his hand.

His words also contained more... after all as an information broker he knew a lot of the man, even stuff that others didn't knew, is his job after all.
    Hence when he said he felt glad, he was obviously hinting at the skills of that man, those within deduction and those who are more than deduction.

JessWrite likes this.
  23. TheLeonard112

TheLeonard112 Sūpākūru Senpai

Eddie Cartwright

Eddie was lost in the situation. His light blue eyes stayed in contact with that of Mr.Stanfield's. He was disgusted, but he was in mourn over his deceased friend. Who, could do such a thing? He was such a good man, such a nice person. This is fucked up! Eddie grabbed his head with both heads, under his clothes veins were going down his arms as he clenched his head. He wanted to go get his gun, he wanted to blast whoever did this out of this world. His brown hair almost stood up,his eyes were furious.

Eddie stood up with a aura of hatred coming off of his body, he was pissed. Everyone began to calm down, but they all seemed nervous, though he had only one emotion coming off of his body, and appearing on his face. The emotion of being completely livid.

He walked over to the group everyone was in and the circle of objects they surrounded. Eddie had his fists clenched tight and he looked around at the people in the circle. I only believe one of these people could have done it.

After The Valentine had suggested they trow their weapons into a pile, he spoke. "I only have my bot on me, my peashooter is in my ride. Though, I agree with the other guy, I believe we may need to wear iron if we don't want to get shot ourselves." He then turned to the Valentine since he had stated he was a detective. "Sir, do you have any ideas on who might of done this or why? What is the point of holding us hostage after the big bad has already passed?" he was troubled and confused. It completely baffled him.

Eddie stared around the room. His blue eyes were locked on to person after person as if he was aiming at them. Who could it be? He put his hands in his pocket and begun to grind his teeth, as his left foot got slammed on the ground. His eyes looked furiously at everyone, no one here knew him besides some of the Stanfields, but he was making himself look angry making himself look dangerous, though he was sure no one here was scared of him.

JessWrite likes this.
  24. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

The Lady in Red

All she could hear was white noise and a constant ringing. Each ear felt like it was going to explode, and when the gent in the suit had tried to talk, no words had reached her. It had been utter chaos – a cake mix of panic, darkness and spoiled food. A blur of black fabric had charged past her while she lay on the floor, bursting through the door like escaped convicts. And now, she only heard the loud ringing.

The place was a mess. The double doors flailed open and unleashed the rain into the entrance, with the wind howling through and throwing sermons, books and glass across the room. The pale light from the outside mirrored into the hall, enough just to see the trophies and mementos hanging in disarray, and a few remaining guests, bewildered and bruised.

She was thoroughly shaken herself. Lying on her side, she stared up the aisle at Richard, twisted and rotten. Their eyes locked together and she faded white in the horror of his Frankenstein stitches caked in dried crimson, and his greening ghoul face. But it was those eyes. Those sunken white eyes, bearing towards her. It was all too much; she could feel every heartbeat thumping through her chest, every bead of sweat running down her spine. His morbid gaze took her. She dared not turn away.

"Are you all right?" Lincoln’s voice broke her stare, and at first she looked up at where the chandelier had once floated, now replaced by a pair of sparking wires. They were like tiny golden fireworks – like the ones they fired on the pier at New Year’s Eve. She shuddered at such a beautiful thought, it almost seemed to mock her. She was still shaking, so Lincoln picked her up off the floor. The lady gave him a hug, her embrace grateful and humbling. However she pushed him away the next, her mouth open wide, a finger pointing at his right hand.

Y…You!?” The shooter glistened with blackened steel inside his palm. Fear crawled around in her stomach – what kind of monster was he? But she composed herself quickly, realising the two shot capability. It couldn’t have been him, but still…

Who brings a gun to a funeral!?” The high pitched shriek carried over the heavy wind, echoing through the dreary mansion.

JessWrite likes this.
  25. mmarage

I took my pistol back from the man.

"Yet only having a weapon is a matter of suspicion... however it would be a cliche if the detective is the culprit, don't you think so?"

"Yes, the detective being a culprit would be cliche and a big disgrace toward detectives everywhere, to commit a crime and then have the audacity to try and present themselves as one who gives their lives to reveal the truth and put away criminals." I said.

"Honestly, I think this is something of a different nature. But people won't feel composed if someone freely carries a weapon.. Hence I think we all will keep an eye on you." Stated the man with the black shirt and long brown coat.

"Or they may rely on you, if you go like the hero with the gun... is up to them." .....Continued the man.

"In short, although no one here is free of suspicion, I'm glad that a man like you happened to show." Said while offering his hand.

"I understand, I don't automatically expect people to trust me, trust can only be earned over time, I'd like it if people would trust me since my gun was clearly not used in the shooting... and I'm surprised that a man like you is here... though when you think about who we're here to mourn it isn't that surprising." I said, I took the man's hand a shook it.

"Sir, do you have any ideas on who might of done this or why? What is the point of holding us hostage after the big bad has already passed?"

I turned to look at the man who had spoke to me. "I believe that it might have been a distraction, for what, I do not know, though I could always be wrong and the culprit carried much resentment for Mr. Stanfield and his associates, meaning he may have just wanted to take a few of them down if he could and ruin his funeral, a petty thing to do, but unfortunately people do things like this even if the recipient of their actions cannot react to it." I said, I sighed quietly and placed my pistol back into my pocket.

JessWrite likes this.