1. ohmyrichard

ohmyrichard Active Member

Omission of initial article or not?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by ohmyrichard, Sep 23, 2009.

Hi,everyone

If I wish to have "The shaping of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s paradoxical mentality" as a subheading in my paper, do I have to omit the initial article "The" or can I omit this "The"or is it that either omitting it or keeping it will do? And how about the intial article in this subheading "The Analysis of Three Major Characters in The Scarlet Letter "? Will the subheading sound more idiomatic if "The Analysis" is changed to "An Analysis" or simply "Analysis"?

Thanks.

2. Mister Micawber

Mister Micawber Member

Not really an easy question to answer; much depends on what your professor thinks. All forms you suggest are grammatically legal. To me, 'analysis' sounds better with nothing than does 'shaping'. 'An analysis' reads as rather consciously self-deprecating nowadays. All in all, I'd go with 'The shaping' and 'Analysis', I think.

1 person likes this.
  3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i agree, in toto...

4. ohmyrichard

Please, what do you mean by saying "I agree, in toto"?
    Thanks.
    Richard

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

In toto is a Latin phrase used in English, and essentially means "in its entirety." In other words, she is agreeing completely with Mister Micawber's post.

6. ohmyrichard

Woa, Latin! I always have a lot to learn. Thanks for explaining it to me.
    Richard

7. mammamaia

sorry to have confused you, richard... a lot of latin words/phrases are common expressions in english...

1 person likes this.
  8. ohmyrichard

Thanks for telling me about this aspect of English. I need to learn some Latin and French. I love being spoken to the way you communicate with your peers. Thanks again.
    Richard
    PS:
    Charlie suggested that I thank other members of this language forum by using the "Add to Reputation" button, but I failed to locate the whereabouts of that button. But I will not give up this effort. A big website like this one is a little bit like a maze which often gets people,especially nonnatives, confused.

9. mammamaia

you do it by clicking on the little balance scale icon at the bottom of the left side panel of each post [under the poster's name and info]...

and it seems meant to be in re that specific post, though i don't know why it wouldn't be referring to the overall quality of the poster's comments on the site...

i don't think it's meant to be just a 'thank you' however, which we usually offer in a post...

mods?...

10. ohmyrichard

Thanks. I have now found that button which is very likely to be neglected by those who are not so careful about the accessory functions the website offers. I have thanked you and Charlie by going through the procedures.
    Stay healthy.
    Richard