On considering the direction of my story

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Orihalcon, Aug 8, 2013.

1. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

What had me puzzled is the lack of distinction between the two sides. If it were a political power struggle, that would make more sense. But in a fantasy setting, when you're bringing elements like angels into the mix, then there needs to be a clearer divide between the sides.
    And, by definition, if the zealots used angelic power, then wouldn't they be "good guys?" They're literally on the side of the angels. And these angels--are the beings with intelligence and choice, or are they spiritual robots, just doing what their assigned zealot tells them?
    I know you said why they don't like the witches, I'm just trying to figure out what makes the two sides different.

2. Orihalcon

Orihalcon Senior Member

[MENTION=3885]Wreybies[/MENTION]: I agree, although technically a reader should also be able to just be entertained and not think about any parallels. With that said, they should definitely be there anyway. As for your suggestion, it's definitely interesting. I'll have to think about it and see what I can cook up :)

[MENTION=38020]ManOrAstroMan[/MENTION]: Most witches are pretty good natured and aren't really harming people, whereas the "good guys" are hunting and killing all witches with extreme prejudice. Are they really good guys then? What defines a good guy? You have witches on one side and people who are against witches on the other; these people are driven by their religious beliefs.

3. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

So, are the zealots really working with angels or with beings posing as angels? Could they be just variants on the witches' neutral spirits? Are the zealots unknowing pawns in someone else's game, operating under the lie that witches are evil? Does someone want the witches eliminated because of the possible threat they pose, and the zealots are a means to an end?
    I ask these questions because it seems odd that genuine angels would aid in the slaughter of innocent people, and would care more about genuine goodness than a given group's arbitrary dogma.

4. Pyraeus

Pyraeus New Member

Ah, woops. Yeah, I was just listing off a few that I could remember - you're right, though; these zealots sound like they would most likely receive power from their god/s

You're welcome =)

All good questions, I'd say. That was one of the main things I was thinking when the zealots are not exactly "good guys" in the traditional sense, but they're being aided by angels. The idea that these "angels" could just be spirits which are perceived as divine beings by these zealots would be more believable really than them being actual angels that are willing to aid in the slaughter of innocents - unless he went for a theme of light not necessarily being good, and dark not necessarily being evil (which it seems he is)

5. Kimberly Jane

Kimberly Jane New Member

I think a good idea would to be to research religious/superstitious beliefs in the past and see how they have conflicted. A good example is the Salem Witch trials (Arthur Miller wrote about them in The Crucible.) If you Google it 'Salem Witch Trials' you will get all of the information that you would want on this matter. I must admit the The Crucible is worth a read though!

Obviously you would not want to re-write the events as it has already been done, but it can give you some ideas about how religion/superstition can make people behave towards others.

I hope this helps
    :)

6. Eli Dahle

Eli Dahle New Member

Very interesting.