1. MadameDaae

MadameDaae New Member

Dirty Character issuse

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MadameDaae, May 26, 2008.

I don't know if this is the ight place to post it, but me characters always seem to be to 'hot', they are always acting like they want to make out, weven whie tey'r fighting. It's sickining. I can't stop. And it's a horror, not a romance!!!!:eek: My one person fell in love with another, because they had long eyelashes!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP! REPS WILL BE GIVE!!!!!!!!:eek:

2. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Perhaps you should give your characters less romantic or sexual personalities, or at least a romantic/sexual personality that hasn't yet emerged.
    Try to picture your character as whatever you want him/her to be - you're in control (sometimes, anyway).
    However, if a character is truly fighting to be with another character, it's probably just meant to be. ;)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You are the writer, you get to craft their personalities. Base the personalities on people you know, and constantly measure your character's actions as to whether they fit the character you are aiming for.

4. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

I would perhaps try to pick a central characteristic that you'd like to "define" your character...Something like stubbornness, accident-prone, bravery, etc. Then play that characteristic up. If you're trying to play up one characteristic, then the sexuality might fade into the background a bit.

Remember, you're the creator of the characters. They cannot act a certain way unless YOU make them do it.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

deleted by poster... no offense was meant, but some was unfortunately taken, due to my own poor wording/lame humor... apologies to all, m

6. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Libby has a good idea here, as long as you don't let your character fall TOO much into that one (non-lusty) dimension. Perhaps a good addition would be to give them SEVERAL traits, as opposed to just one. People are full decks of emotions- not a single card.

7. fatbird33

fatbird33 New Member

i agree with libbyann and crazy ivan. find s afew words that you want your chatracter to be, maybe being 'hot' is one of them, but at least you will have more to build onto.

8. edens garden

edens garden New Member

If you want some of them to be more normal looking you could try finding pictures. I do this sometimes when i can't quite figure out the right look, find a picture of a fairly normal looking person and go from there. If you aren't picturing amazingly sexy people, it might help. (i do this occasionally too... i try and change at least one thing, give them some characteristic or feature that isn't sexy and perfect.)

9. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Haha, this made me laugh. I think you should just try and picture them as a normal person without any feelings. Then, add to their descriptions things that will make them seem angry or sad or whatever it is you're trying to convey. Then again, maybe you shouldn't think dirty thoughts while you're writing about them... :p