1. Military_Medic

Military_Medic New Member

On the run

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Military_Medic, May 23, 2012.

Message removed by MM. Problem solved, thanks guys.

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I was thinking he could nab a motorboat/speedboat, disconnect any and all methods by which the UK police could find him and go across the Irish Sea to the Republic of Ireland, as that is not part of the UK. Failing that, he could attempt to boat across the Channel to mainland Europe, docking in either Spain or France. (Sorry, I just had this thriller vibe coming from your post, and the image of him speeding his butt across the Irish Sea/English Channel away from authorities was the first thing on my mind. :D)

If he has friends, he could have them find ways to smuggle him out of the country so he doesn't have to do it himself. Perhaps by plane? A privately-owned plane?

Hold up a tic: Is it true that there is a tunnel underneath the UK that runs from the UK to France? He can escape through there!

I guess, once he leaves the country, he should then set about changing his identity and constructing a believable alibi. Erase any and all traces the UK police might use to find him.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

of course there's a tunnel... the 'chunnel' was built to be an easier and faster crossing than channel ferries... i've taken a train from the continent to england going through it, but really prefer a ferry or hovercraft [both of which i've taken], as i don't like the idea of being under all that water!

however, i don't see how a person fleeing the country could use it other than by taking the train or in a vehicle of some sort and that would involve being stopped and having identity papers checked at the end... that said, smuggling does take place in both directions, but there is a risk...

4. Mark_Archibald

Mark_Archibald Active Member

This is your job, I get kinda steamed when people ask others for plot ideas for their work, its plagiarism in my eyes.

Anyway your character should go to the port and sneak into a shipping container than find himself in some random country four days later.

And I'm totally going to sue if you make any money off that idea.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, no, not plagiarism. Ideas cannot be copyrighted. But it isn't thinking like a writer, and it's a terrible habit to get into.

Consider, Medic. If it were easy, the authorities would be concentrating their efforts there. If you can't think of a way, maybe your character can't either, at least not when the heat is on.

6. koal4e

koal4e Member

If your looking for a more plausible but difficult way then I would go for your character looking through death records for someone of around his birth who died at birth and then assuming their identity. He could then play the system and apply for a passport in their name, changing his look by growing a beard, shaving his head and the like and simply getting the ferry to Northern Island and flying out of Belfast...or does this seem a little far fetched lol

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Air flight will certainly be subject to the highest scrutiny of all, if the story is set in the post-9/11 world.

8. Military_Medic

Military_Medic New Member

Don't let it upset you Archibald, thanks for taking the time to type out a response. I hope there are plenty of other topics you can make a meaningful contribution to on the forum.

Moving on, thanks guys for the replies. I have worked out this tricky issue.

MM.

9. koal4e

koal4e Member

Would make for a gripping chapter on his way through the security and the flight...although your probably right! Alternative is to pay his way on, or stow away on a North Sea fishing vessel heading far out towards Iceland or the Scandinavian countries looking for Pollack or Haddock.

10. mammamaia

amen to that!

11. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

Hi there,

Personally, I like the idea of the whole air-flight thing. You might be able to incorporate the tensity of him passing through securities and whatnot, or perhaps his ID has gone out to the police at the airports, who are armed... he has to dodge armed police patrols who are looking for him, as well as escape the country!

If written well, it provides the reader with the heart-stopping "HE'S BEHIND YOU!" kind of feeling (when reading about him dodging police patrols.)

Perhaps he could pay some people to cause a distraction? A fight, spilling coffee on a policeman? Something inconspicuous and completely normal. Something that could happen to anyone at anytime so as not to draw attention...

Anything which allows him to get that extra second to board the aircraft?

Good luck mate. :)

12. mammamaia

getting on board while being chased makes little sense, since he can still be taken off the plane... and planes don't take off immediately after the last passenger is aboard... plus, the plane can be ordered back to the airport, or he can be met at the other end by police, so he'd really be trapping himself in a place where he can't hide or escape, to board a plane in those circumstances...

13. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

Good point... I hadn't thought about that.