1. majidkh

majidkh New Member

on the verge of vs to be about to

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by majidkh, May 5, 2009.

Hello
    Would you please tell me which option can best fit in the sentences?

1-I'm ........ go OR going to the store because I must go there to find my wallet I had lost there a few hours ago.

2-I 'm ..........turn off OR turning off my computer because of electricity fluctuations.

A- about to B- on the verge of

Thanks a lot.

2. Jeredin

Jeredin New Member

Hurm . . .

Hurm. :confused: Was kinda hard figuring this out because I've been writing so much in past tense. BUT, here's my opinion.

1: I go to the store because I have to find my wallet that I had only lost a few hours ago.

2: I turn off my computer because of the electricity fluctuations.

I think you were just having problems with "I" VS "I'm" in a first person voice? That kinda depends on your writing style to an extent, but I personally prefer "I." ;)

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

I go or I am going.
    I turn or I am turning.
    They're both present tense, but their usage will vary with the context. Neither is "better" than the other, and it wholly depends on your sentence.
    As for "about to" and "on the verge of", they're basically synonyms, although again the way you use them is not the same and neither work in all contexts. As long as your verbs agree, they're both fine to use.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I go or I turn is simple present tense. The connotation in these sentences is that this is an activity you perform one or more times for the stated reason, but not necessarily at this moment. For example, I eat steak means that steak is part of your overall diet, even if at the moment you are dining on macaroni and cheese.

I am going or I am turning is present progressive tense, amd indicates an activity currently taking place, or imminent.

5. StrixVaria

StrixVaria New Member

I don't think anyone understood his question.

I'm about to go... vs. I'm on the verge of going...: That' s what he's asking.

In any case, they're pretty much interchangeable. I prefer "about to".

6. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

I think what he's asking is which one (about to or on the verge off) is he to replace the '.....' with, which would mean changing go to going.

As for answering that question, I think using "on the verge of" seems a little drastic for such a mundane task. It would be used for more dynamic sentences like "I'm on the verge of a mental break down." or something to that effect.

Your best bet is to go with "I'm about to", however, I don't think it's really necessary. You're sentences are fine without it.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sweet chaos has nailed it!... that's what i was on the verge of saying, myself...