1. ShalaylaW

ShalaylaW Member

One character who remains

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by ShalaylaW, Oct 3, 2015.

So, I have a character that re-occurs within the 3 books I wish to write, and every other character changes.
    He's not actually alive, but is a figment within a network that can control most forms of life. The first book is the past, the second is after the war the middle, and the third the future. And as time goes by, he becomes cold and realizes he wants to live any way possible.
    I want to make him progress into an evil character in order for the 3rd book to exist, but I don't want to hint too obviously in the first book.
    How should I portray his character upon first meeting him?

2. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

Depends on the plot of story. You'll probably have to go into a little bit more detail if you want us to help you out. Can you give a very brief synopsis of the plot?

3. Jeff Countryman

Jeff Countryman Living the dream

The crux of the problem are these two conflicting statements:

" and every other character changes."

"make him progress into an evil character...."

Thus, he changes too.

His character arc needs to be slow and low.

4. ShalaylaW

ShalaylaW Member

Sorry! Haha it was kind of a quick thing. Here is a brief story generalization:

There's a planet called Lemuria that is overrun by a Forest that connects the living organisms to it and it to them, allowing communication, education and even special abilities to form. But some humans are not connected, are "out of the loop" and are useless to a society built upon the Forest's connection. They reside in a large institution called the Braeken, and Kyra, the MC, has trained her whole life to have physical prowess if she can't have mental ones. Meanwhile, an alien race known as the Groudora plan war in order to harvest the power within the Forest, and send drilling probes to sample some of the power.

The character, Melodion, was once alive but had an ability to integrate into the network itself. He could remain inside and not age, and had minimal control over the life on Lemuria. So, he decided one day that he would kill his living self, and remain in the network eternally as an entity. So he is in everything, and can control more than anyone realizes.

5. ShalaylaW

ShalaylaW Member

[QUOE="Jeff Countryman, post: 1379825, member: 71796"]The crux of the problem are these two conflicting statements:

" and every other character changes."

"make him progress into an evil character...."

Thus, he changes too.

His character arc needs to be slow and low.[/QUOTE]
    No, I mean in each book, there's completely different characters. He's the only one that re-occurs EVER. But, yes, slow, slow. I just don't know how to introduce him, not build him.

6. Jeff Countryman

Jeff Countryman Living the dream

Ah, got ya.

"And as time goes by, he becomes cold and realizes he wants to live any way possible."

Introduce him as the opposite of what he becomes (in a dream/memory maybe?) - a warm, loving person who is optimistic about the future and has hopes and ideals (book #1). Then he appears in the same dreams/memories of others and is getting jaded by what's happening (book #2). Finally, he becomes e
    vil because of it all (book #3). Like I said, slow and low.

In the first book, to introduce him, show his wants/needs. To introduce him to any specific character doesn't seem to be important as the characters change/demise through the books. In a sense I'd like to suggest a prologue here but I hate those and hope you can find a way to avoid it.

I don't write or read that type of writing - I'm just suggesting. Sorry.

7. ShalaylaW

ShalaylaW Member

Thanks though, I think it'll help. To make him endearing at first, and slowly show the warmth leaving him.

8. Bocere

Bocere Member

First off, this sounds like a super interesting story, over all!

I agree with Jeff Countryman, I think the warmer the character is in the beginning the more dramatic it will make his character arc in the end. Since in the end his decision is to live any way he possibly can, I would think maybe the best little "hint" to start with from the beginning might be if the character has a crippling fear of death.

Then as the series progresses the reader could see that this fear consumes the character, taking away his warmth and leaving him only with cold immortality?

Not sure if that's what you're going for, but I think that could be one way to make the transition make sense in the end, but not make it too obvious from the beginning.

Good luck! The story sounds fascinating. :)

9. ShalaylaW

ShalaylaW Member

Thank you! Yeah, I really want to make him progress into a twisted, manical but cold individual from all the time he's endured watching time change everything but himself. I kind of want to give him that spark of madness similar to Sweeney Todd, but yet you feel for him. And yeah, I want it to be quite dramatic when he truly becomes the villain. The whole third book depends on him really.
    Thanks again :) i appreciate it

Bocere likes this.