Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethany35

Bethany35 Active Member

One day to change the world

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Bethany35, Aug 16, 2015.

Hypothetical Situation: you have one day as world leader and you can change the world, you can only perform one act. and please say why

Me, I would create a system that provide food and water for all those in need so no one would go hungry.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Does it have to be realistic, and do we have to explain how we'd do it? Or can I just say I'd eliminate war and human-on-human violence of any kind?

3. Bethany35

Bethany35 Active Member

no you don't have to explain how you would do it, but actually mine wasn't that realistic either without pissing off the greedy people who don't want to share huh? Hmm
    Well they can share anyhow ,

And while I don't like war and violence, I feel they sort of serve a purpose- though I am not quite sure what. Humans weren't created to just get on with each other I think.

4. Steerpike

I figure we have enough food and medicine, etc., but what prevents it getting to a lot of parts of the world are corruption and war (and even the corrupt regimes stay in place through violence or the threat of it). Eliminate the violence, and you take care of some of the other issues as well. People don't have to get along, but you don't have to go from not getting along to butchering each other.

5. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

I'd eliminate religion.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  6. Steerpike

I don't think that would accomplish as much as people think. It's most often used as a pretext for a lot of bad things people do to each other. Get rid of it, and all people have to do is come up with other excuses.

Lemex likes this.
  7. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

True, but I'm not just talking about the usual suspects: the Crusades, the Inquisition, the current radical Islamic atrocities. I think the world would be a better place if the people in it thought and behaved more rationally. Whatever one can say about religion, it isn't in any way rational.

Anyway, if I'm King for a Day, we're going to find out.

Steerpike likes this.
  8. Steerpike

If people had to behave rationally, you'd also cut down on a lot of Internet traffic. More bandwidth for the rest of us.

Lemex likes this.
  9. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

100% inheritance tax.

10. Steerpike

Zero inheritance tax.

11. 123456789

You don't believe in any inheritance tax?

12. Steerpike

No. Everything I earn has already been taxed multiple times by the government. Every asset I acquire with my earnings results in additional taxes. There's no reason the government should take another swipe at it again just because I've died. The use of those assets by my heirs will already result in further taxation.

Lemex and No-Name Slob like this.
  13. 123456789

Let me rephrase. Inheritance tax should be 100%, and should be used to lessen the burden of income tax for hard working Americans.

Why does anyone deserve to inherit millions of dollars?

14. Steerpike

Why shouldn't they. My work is done for the benefit of myself and my family. There's no reason they shouldn't be entitled to what I have when I die. And while it is easy to throw around millions of dollars by way of example, where this comes up often is with small business, farms, and the like where the owners are by no means rich and everything they worked for gets hammered by inheritance tax.

In any event, I don't like the "why shouldn't we" approach to these issues. If you're going to have the government take from people, you need a good, affirmative reason to do so. And if you think the government is going to lessen the income tax burden if the inheritance tax goes up, you're far more optimistic than reality supports.

15. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

Rationality and empathy do not go hand-in-hand, so ...

16. No-Name Slob

Because it should be my right to ensure that if I die an untimely death, unable to spend my hard-earned wages which have already been taxed several times, my children can go to college. You're assuming that "inheritance" means millions of dollars. That's not usually the case, and you can't really have a 100% inheritance tax both ways.

Steerpike likes this.
  17. Steerpike

Yes, I've worked with people on these issues, and it impacts most heavily a lot of average people who may have assets on paper, like a farm, but don't have a lot of liquid cash. A child growing up there might be able to go to college if the parents live, but if they die an untimely death suddenly everything is taken from them? Makes no sense. The government has already had its hand in the pie multiple times. Giving them more because someone dies isn't right.

No-Name Slob likes this.
  18. Steerpike

Also, inheritance taxes are more likely to screw over people in lesser positions, like someone with a farm or business that looks like a lot on paper but isn't making them wealthy by any means. The truly wealthy have all kinds of options for creating entities to hold assets and structuring their assets in such a way as to avoid taxes, whereas people with lesser means don't have the money to do that kind of thing, and often lack the sophistication to go about getting it done. They are just in a for a surprise when there is a death and the government comes calling to take yet more out of their collective hides.

No-Name Slob likes this.
  19. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

We live in a different time of fighting now, so I would shut down most military branches, beef up the Navy SEALS and the CIA and ones like that and use the rest of the money for helping those in extreme poverty around the world take care of their basic needs and get education/job training.

20. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributing Member Contributor

I am going to add to an idea already said here and it is an idea I heard but I think it is better than anything else I could think of. I also think it may have some realistic weight instead of just saying something that couldn't work.

My idea well someone elses idea I am quoting here.

"Let us toss religion away and adopt the teachings of:
    Lucretius
    Democritus
    Galileo
    Spinoza
    Darwin
    Jefferson
    and Thomas Paine
    Let us make that what we teach our children and see what kind of society we get."

21. Ben414

Ben414 Contributing Member Contributor

The money gained from taking away inheritances could instead go directly to providing assistance to middle and lower class families. Use that money to give them a free or severely subsidized college education, free health insurance, etc.

I think optimism is inherent when we're talking about having the ability to wish something true. ;)

If the money was given back out in the way I mention above, your children would be able to go to college even if you would have had an inheritance that wouldn't cover it.

123456789 likes this.
  22. No-Name Slob

I get what you're saying, but nothing we do through the government is easy to attain or free. Why should my kids have to go through all of that just to get the money that I would have given them in the first place? It could be a huge deterrent for them. The money that I planned on spending on my own kids should go to my own kids. They shouldn't have to get severely subsidized grants to go to college, when I can just give them what I worked for my entire life, which I've done for that exact purpose.

Plus, look around and consider the state of our country. The government is not the best financial steward. Frankly, I don't trust them with my money when I'm not around. If I can control where my own money goes, why should someone step in and take it over? If we're all working to eventually give it all to the government, with no control over how our family is taken care of, why work? Look at social security. I've paid into it all my life, and I'm definitely not going to get out of it what I've invested when I actually need it. Why would my inheritance be any different?

23. 123456789

This is the problem. You have x amount of people who have parents who want to provide for their children, give them the best possible chances of success. Then you have x amount of people who don't have parents to provide for them. Now you have group A, who is privileged, and group B, who is not. Why should group B have any respect for this society?

24. Ben414

Ben414 Contributing Member Contributor

Also, I just wanted to add there may be a reason some people shouldn't be entitled to what they have when they die. Depending on how they earned your money, it's possible they don't deserve it. Since our economy is built on exploitation, their money may have only been possible because billions of others around the world work 60+ hours a week to live in poverty, supplying our economy with the cheap labor needed to reduce the prices on our goods, allowing their money to be worth as much as it is. Donald Trump, for example, doesn't deserve his money. His work contributions likely did lead to greater non-money resource production, but not nearly to the same ratio as his wealth has increased.

One reason is that if you lose your money and have little to give as inheritance, your children would be screwed. A second reason is that it would allow many, many other children to be able to go to college (or insert whatever benefit) when they wouldn't be able to otherwise. To me, those two reasons would easily be worth it.

I agree the government is not the best financial steward. If we look at Social Security as an example, I'm not aware of any corruption where they used that money for other purposes and then never paid it back. What they could do with the money would have to be carefully outlined, but I think it's possible to minimize the risk involved.

You would work because not paying for your child's education (or whatever benefit) is not the entirety of what people like to do with their money. You still have a ton of other expenses and things you'd like to buy in your lifetime. That awesome family trip to Pluto in 2030 will cost money, that genetically altered dog-elephant you want as a pet in 2040 will cost money, etc.

The problem with social security is that is was poorly designed, and our country spends inordinate amount of money on the war on drugs, prisons, and the military so that they can't afford it now.

25. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

@Ben414, the problem as i see it is that how many people are like Donald Trump? The majority of Americans are office workers, secertaries, teachers, farmers, waiters, cooks, hairdressers and nail technicians, store clerks, plumbers and electricians, librarians, factory workers, things like that. Yeah, there are lawyers and buisness people and doctors. But they're entitled to their money. I'll agree that there are problems with capitalism, but you couldn't take the right of inheritance away without other rights being in jeopardy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.