One person (probably) reads The Girl with the Solar Eyes

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Jack Asher, May 15, 2016.

1. Samuel Lighton

Samuel Lighton Senior Member

Better yet:
    Get sat next to him at his dinner party, celebrating the record breaking sales of his new book. There'd be hour long speeches and all. Trumpet fanfares and praises all around too.

Oh, and award ceremonies. And it's not at a mental asylum.

Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.
  2. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

It would be a vegan dinner. No way I'd show up.

GO BACON!!

3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Oh you know you done goofed up there @Steerpike, when @jannert gave up on your ass.:supergrin:

But honestly this Soccaccio fellow is like all the mixed nuts in a blender that has just been left to run for eternity. That might be why he is all messed up in the head. Oh to be a fly on the wall in his life just for the sake of understanding where it all went down hill. Either that or he really is just predisposed to actually think he is gods greatest gift to humanity, in the guise of a D list actor and horrible writer of incestuous LOZ fan-fic. We won't really know for sure, but we do know is that he is so full of himself (horse pucky) that you could start a manure shop. Give the guy props for his ignorance in the face of his perceived arrogance, he know not what he do. Perhaps the poor lad really would be at peace with the world if his mum just let him get it out of his system. :superlaugh:#SadSaccoccioNeedsHisMum :superlaugh:

Oscar Leigh and Lyrical like this.
  4. Samuel Lighton

Are you that guy that constantly tries to one up people? Because I know a guy way worse at that than you. :p

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Actually, guys ...don't want to spoil the party, but while this started out as enormous fun—because we all thought the guy was simply a fellow who really fancied his crappy writing and couldn't take criticism—and @Jack Asher's reviews are stunningly hilarious. Seriously funny, perceptive and actually thought-provoking writing, Jack. But the more we go on, the more I'm beginning to think the Soccaccio guy is actually mentally ill, and not in a funny way, and making fun of his writing is starting to make me feel uncomfortable. If he is just an asshole, fair enough. But he actually seems truly delusional now, and this is a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. I think I'm going to abandon this thread, unless somebody thinks I'm being too serious? Dunno. What's the consensus here?

6. Samuel Lighton

I think seriousness should be reserved for serious things. After all that's been demonstrated here I can't take the said author seriously.

However, I do think it's leaning a bit towards trolly/bashy. But then again, the entire thread is in the spirit of good fun, so it's not meaningfully harsh.

I think the author has demonstrated that they are delusional, their beliefs not being relevant to that fact, although certainly adding an air of ludicrousness to it all.

Oscar Leigh and jannert like this.
  7. jannert

Well, I'd hate to miss out on Jack's next chapter. So maybe I'll keep going. But I am beginning to feel a little bit squirmy about it.

Samuel Lighton and Cave Troll like this.
  8. Samuel Lighton

Squirmy in anticipation or squirmy in the sense of uncomfortable? If the latter, you're completely allowed to have a conscience about it! Certainly so! But once again, the author has demonstrated the calibre of their character on several occasions, both in their work and outside of it, and has shown themselves to be anything other than professional. I will admit, I am absolutely capable of vindictiveness where it is due, but this for me isn't that. It's a humorous exploration into someone else's failings. And in the end, all the best teachers know how to hide a lesson beneath something entertaining - and this should be considered that, a lesson for people looking to write. Although it is essentially a massive pisstake, it is clear as to why it is having the piss taken out of it. It's not baseless at all. It's an object lesson in what not to be as a writer.

Let's face it, it's not like he hasn't had people try to help and advise him - and yet he still rails against it in the most insulting way possible. They've had an opportunity to become a part of something bigger and unified, and rejected it. So, release the hounds I say!

9. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

He surely seem`s delusneil in the sense of importance he lends to his work and himself but as for if he`s mentally ill...that`s a hard thing to tell. He could be just a prick or he really could be mentally ill but it`s not easy to tell through a computer and a book like this. Either way I suppose we could lay off a tad.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. jannert

It's just that when he gets into portraying himself as a god (via an elaborate code) and seems to believe in vast conspiracy theories of the world, I hear warning bells. This doesn't sound to me like an arrogant writer who thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread. This seems more out of control, really. Much more obsessional and paranoid. I did mean squirmy as in uncomfortable. I'm beginning to feel like a bully.

This passage from this bio quoted by @Kinzvlle really started to get me wondering. Saccoccio seems to be all over the place, doesn't he?

Dylan Saccoccio grew up in Boston, MA and Providence, Rhode Island before moving to Manhattan at eighteen years old to pursue his career as an actor. He grew up playing every sport, fishing, sailing, and breaking rules. He's been writing for as long as he's been acting, and playing guitar for twelve years in the style of John Frusciante and Jimi Hendrix. He moved to Los Angeles at twenty years old temporarily before moving there permanently the following year. In his never-ending journey to attain his highest and best self, he explored many different avenues. The 2008 crash jolted him to awaken from the American Nightmare of being a gangster for capitalism. Among the many screenplays he wrote, his magnum opus is The Tale of Onora, a series that is a metaphorical tale of his life. For every thousand people hacking at the branches of evil, only one is hacking at the root of it. In The Boy and the Peddler of Death, every conscious solution to today's collectivist problems is blended into a fantasy tale that tells the story of us all, for there is no great story that did not dance with the truth

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Samuel Lighton likes this.
  11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

@Cave Troll it was just a joke about the alpha/omega thing ;)

12. Samuel Lighton

It's only bullying if he tells the teacher. Quick, get the ball gag!

In seriousness though, although I edited it in before your post, I said that he's had plenty of chances to accept that there are people who are willing to help him improve his writing talent, but he flat out rejected their criticisms completely. They aren't willing to help themselves and instead tread stagnant water and simply wallow in themselves. It's horribly narcissistic. They are every bit the naff person they portray themselves as.

13. jannert

Unless they are mentally ill and unable to see things rationally.

14. Cave Troll

@Steerpike Mine too was a joke, about the lack of continuing a thought towards another. But thanks for the clarification.

Steerpike likes this.
  15. Samuel Lighton

There is a sincere possibility of that jannert, and is worth consideration. But this isn't discrimination against those with mental disabilities. That would be an insult to everyone with one. I don't/can't/will never endeavour to know if they do suffer from one, but at the same time it's not really relevant to the object lesson, is it? It's the work that is in question.

By that, I mean @Jack Asher's posts. The rest is basically us being mean for amusement. It's not elitism or anything of the sort. We're not really snobs about it. Who cares if we have a chuckle about it?

To be fair this is like a private review of the work that isn't really private. They won't listen if any of this is said to them directly, after all. So it's just for us. And lets be honest, ridiculousness is a prerequisite for most kinds of ridicule. And they've definitely ticked that box. If it pleases you, I could ask them if they suffer from a disability?

In all honesty, if you want to fell less bad about it, simply take a look at this:
    http://goo.gl/d5tkP9

I think this justifies...anything? Mostly anything, we could possibly say about them here.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    jannert likes this.
  16. Cave Troll

@Samuel Lighton You are going to ask Dylan S. if he is a crazy person?

17. jannert

Well, okay. It's not as if Dylan will ever see this thread (I hope.) And @Jack Asher 's writing is too good to miss. Okay, I'll keep reading.

18. Samuel Lighton

Only if jannert wants :p In all honesty, I wouldn't, no. I'm already sold as to what this person is like, and yes it appears to be a big bag of crazy cats, but not in a way that indicates a mental handicap to me. It's insane levels of narcissism and self-worshipping, which is basically just masturbation for the mind.

Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.
  19. Samuel Lighton

To be honest, I do kind of hope that Dylan does see this thread. Not out of any kind of malice, in the hope that he'd snap out of this impossible self-view he has and try to be part of a community, rather than trying to game the system which is exactly what he rants about in the first place.

20. Samuel Lighton

Oh good god. I looked him up on IMDB. He was an actor (loosely said) in a film that was a blatant rip off of a video game called F.E.A.R.

I mean, the not-even-trying-to-hide-it kind of rip off.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  21. jannert

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  22. BruceA

BruceA Active Member

Like @jannert I am starting to feel uncomfortable. Can we go back to criticising the writing, rather than the man/lifestyle/beliefs/career?

Oscar Leigh, plothog and jannert like this.
  23. Cave Troll

Because Depp said it best in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas:supergrin:And it kinda fits the bill.:supergrin:
    batcountry.gif

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  24. Samuel Lighton

I won't bash the man any more, despite their actions. I'll keep it all to private discussions from henceforth and keep it on-topic.

Oscar Leigh, jannert and BruceA like this.
  25. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

@Jack Asher - You`re a braver man than I to tackle another book, I just couldn`t do it. Plus I don`t have the time, but that`s another thing.

@jannert - I understand what you`re saying, if the guy is unstable then caning him, even if it`s just with words, does seem a bit wrong.

I haven`t read everything here, (Except some pretty hilarious comments about a berry pie and breasts? Both scary and funny at the same time....) Jack Asher`s reviews were pretty hilarious the first time around, but I do know that this guy just won`t get it. No matter what we say he won`t accept the advice to work harder, accept others criticism`s or advice.
    It`s a real shame, we come to places like these to better learn the craft, it`s a pity he will not.