1. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

Lord Dunsany? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Burlbird, Jan 3, 2014.

My first assignment for this year - and it's Jan 3rd! - is an attempt on translating "Gods of Pegana" (to serbian-croatian-bosnian) Hopefully, with the first book done I'll be given an opportunity to do both "Time and the Gods" and a selection from "Sword of Welleran".

Anyone read Dunsany's early work? I understand that his writing style changed quite a bit through his career. How "readable" is his early style to you (meaning, how difficult do you find the archaic style, quasi-mythological tone, the "wisdom" of his theogony, etc)?

Also, I need some help regarding pronunciation of names - can't find a serious and reliable source for this - or am I just not looking at the right place? :)

And the illustrations: I understand the original artwork by Sidney Sime is often omitted in contemporary editions, but I find them both beautiful and part of the unique atmosphere of the book. Any opinions on the importance of these illustrations?

And Happy New Year, of course :)

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I know for a fact that I've read some of his poetry, but I'm not sure whether it was his early work or later work. The only reason I read some of his stuff was because of his association with Yeats, who is a great poet. I don't know much about his novels, essays, stories, or plays. Man, that guy was a prolific writer!

I suppose I should also commend you for translating his work. Translating takes a lot of time and effort, and I'm sure the people who can't read his work in English will be thankful. :)

3. ReptilesBlade

ReptilesBlade New Member

I know of him a little because he is supposedly a huge influence on H. P. Lovecraft, who is a long time favorite of mine.

4. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

@thirdwind thanks - I haven't done a translation of material I've choosen myself for ages. It's very different, and at the same time so much more rewarding (in a non-monetary sense) than the usual deal of business correspondence :)

@ReptilesBlade Yeah, one of the reasons I thought devoted fantasy readers might like to read something like that...

BTW: I found a "Hobith" in Gods of Pegana - home god who "calmeth the dog" :)
    ...and no Tolkien historian mentions it, yet, hmmm...

5. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

I've read "The King of Elfland's Daughter" and a collection of short stories. I love his writing, though I'll admit, it's probably too old style for people now.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I don't like Lord Dunsany. At all. I understand his style was inspired by pretty much just the King James bible, and it's hard to find an Angl0-Irishman at that time who wasn't - especally when they were also a member of the aristocracy as Lord Dunsany was. His influence has been pretty considerable too, inspiring H.P. Lovecraft (as someone mentioned before) and Robert E. Howard (the whole Weird Fiction genre really) and J.R.R. Tolkien, so I respect what he did, and the influence he has had, though that influence is now limited. I'm sorry, I just can't be bothered with any more than a story at a time. Usually with the space of a few days in between.

7. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

I've never read him, but I recently read a short fiction which involved him and Arsene Lupin.