Online Dating

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Heather Louise, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Yeah I know Heather, but sometimes it is best to believe in the worst. You are never disappointed when you do.....<see I am still cynical :p>

2. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I know, but if you never take chances in life then you achieve nothing. I am trying to have a more, open minded approach to things now.

3. Torana

so am I lol :p can you tell?

4. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Of course. :p

5. Torana

lol........ :p :p

6. JMStone

JMStone Member

May I just say that, if you were indeed a 90 year old hula dancer I would be first in line to get your autograph? :p

As for you, Heather, I've actually met someone I met online. -prepares to launch dorky-confession to the world. deep breath aaaand... go (haha)- I RPed Harry Potter on AOL for years... from the time I was in 7th grade to the beginning of my junior year of high school. It was a hobby and I enjoyed it. That entire span of 5 years I RPed with all different people a couple of us started an SL that was in the background over those years. One of the girls my friend (and actually my co-author. Yes I dragged her into the addiction that was HP Rp... does that make me a bad friend? -cackles a bit, coughs- anywho...) and I rped with, Bernie, was going to New Hampshire to visit her grandparents for two weeks.

Meg and I live about an hour and a half away from where she was staying so we planned to meet up at Canobie Lake Park- Everything went fine with us. We actually met her whole family there and had a great time.

^ That's a positive example and I'll probably never meet someone over the internet again. Yeah, I had a good experience with it, but I had been speaking with this girl for 5 years. I was 17 when I met her, 12 when we'd started talking and she was 3 years older than myself and Meg. My advice on this, if you plan on meeting someone, is the same as everyone elses... Go with a friend, do NOT go alone. Make sure you feel comfortable. Meg and I exchanged addresses with Bernie a couple years before we actually met her and we became pen pals as well as internet friends. We kind of worked our way up to meeting.

.... Well that was a long-winded story but alas, I have finished -takes a bow and dodges the fruit that might be coming-

7. Rickie writes

Rickie writes New Member

"You may not believe me but young women are easy to influence."

The key word here is "young", it's a generalization I know but it's true for many.

Heck we can all be influenced buy someone or something and have our buttons pushed, recognizing this is part of maturity. That can be taught by the school of hard knock or from the experience of others.

8. Kaij

Kaij New Member

I know this thread is around three weeks old, but when I saw it I had to add my own ramblings. I figured we were allowed to write in threads despite the age of them, so hopefully I'm not mistaken on this.

As for online dating, I have an online boyfriend. I remember the first time we spoke online. We both had a friend with the username of Yume, and were big into wolf roleplays. After a while of RPing, we chatted a lot about our lives and funny events. *grins* I moved in for the first "kiss" on his cheek, and after that we were hooked on one another.

We've been together for four years (so at the age of sixteen, we were online dating), and just recently was the first time we ever met in real life. It wasn't bad, but when he came down it was raining and there wasn't much for us to do at the time. My ex had brought him down since he doesn't own a car and has no money for gas. Don't ask, it's a long complicated story of why my ex brought him down. It was more of an apology to me, but I think it might have been another mistake.

Anyway, it was sort of startling, to know Andrew came here. My parents don't know about him. Yeah, four years of unknowingness. I was a little on edge about the whole thing, but it turned out OK.

So I answer yes to the question of falling in love with someone who you've not met. My friend is now engaged with her mate--whom she met online. A person at my work is married to a person she had met online. You just have to have that connection, and know it.

9. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Oh...I totally believe you can fall in love with somebody you have never met in person. As long as both people are being honest, it could happen. I mean think about it...you spend time chatting with them everyday, you don't have the stress and everyday "stuff" to get involved, you can just express your inner self. Before you know it your hooked! And every day your saying "Hello" and "Goodbye"...I think it can be more emotional too.

I believe unless you experience it...you can never fully understand it! :)

10. Zandiir

Zandiir New Member

I dated someone from the internet before. After about a month of talking online, we finally agreed to meet each other in real life, and it went fantastic. This girl was exactly who she said she was. After that, we ended up dating for 6 months. In the end, our relationship didn't work out, but that wasn't because of anything internet related of course.

But always be careful, especially when you're younger. Just because my experience was a positive one, doesn't mean that everyone is exactly who they say they are. But I'm sure you don't need me telling you that, heh.

Stay safe. ;)

11. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

You know Zandiir, your right and Internet safety is important to stress. I am older and know what to look for but, younger readers might be so aware. Always use caution when interacting on the computer. A person may not be all they say they are; therefore, he or she might not have the best of intentions...:)

12. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

in a little cage in the bowls of Cephalid
    Heather you are wise to be paranoid, let it be known to all the younger people on this site. Internet dating is dangerous and I know this first hand.

My mother was foolish enough to internet date once, I won’t go into detail. She was hurt and she’s 47. I also have a niece about the same age as Heather. Last year she was staying with her grandparents while her parents moved house. Unfortunately, the grand parents had no understanding of the dangers a computer can create. My niece was flirting and carrying on with a forty five year old man thinking he was fifteen years old. Now its been said by many people in this thread before. I’m going to stress this to you. You don’t truly know anyone on the internet. So please be careful who you speak to and how close you get.

13. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've never dated anyone over the internet, I like human contact so it's a subject I have little care for.

14. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

My boyfriend and I actually met on a dog forum and the majority of our relationship occurs online as he lives in QLD and I live in NSW. We speak on MSN every day so get to talk a lot, but don't get to see each other face to face much. I miss him like crazy but it's working well for us.

I wouldn't describe it as online dating really, just a long distance relationship at this stage.

ETA: If I were single I don't think I'd consider using an online dating site, as has been mentioned there are too many creeps around and too many risks. Plus, it's just not the sort of thing I'm into.

15. Kaij

Kaij New Member

I should say the same with my relationship. It's not really online dating anymore.

If I went single one day, I doubt I'd go for the whole internet dating thing again. Not just because of the creeps thing, sure, there are tons of those. There are also the loving people you could meet up with one day. It's just the fact it took us one or two years of just chatting, then it became a relationship, and four years passed til we were an online relationship.

I've got five freaking guys after me IRL, I want them to go away! *sob*

16. matt84

matt84 New Member

I have an online relationship for past two years. I have been using okcupid for dating services and I also met my girlfriend online. Well, as per my point of view internet dating is just a one kind of dating method. I don’t see much difference between online and offline dating if the feelings are involved for someone who is at the other side of the screen or sitting in front of you.

If there is a question about trust someone online then I would say commitment and trust are two most significant elements of any successful relationship. If you are really serious about relationship then you and your partner have to trust on each other otherwise there is possibility that someone may cheat you offline too.

17. schrei

schrei New Member

Online friendships are pretty great, I know I've begun to value my online friends more than my real friends. I can tell them things and I know they can't really hold it against me where as a real friend could. Real friends are harder to avoid.

However, there is only around 2 or 3 online people I've met I actually somewhat trust and I would meet up with only two if I had chance. I know that some people are entirely creepy and some people are not who they are in real as they are online.

The whole online dating things I don't go for. I find that weird to say the least. Maybe I'm just weird and knocking it before I tried it but I would actually like to really know who I was 'dating'. I would prefer a monitor and keyboard not to be our way of talking.

18. Hulk

Hulk Banned

I totally agree with this.

19. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Why do I have a feeling you're talking about me..??:p

20. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Shhhh everyone, she's listening in... ;)

21. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Because I am talking about you....??? lol

22. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You're so vain
    you probably think this song is about you...
    -- Carly Simon, You're So Vain

23. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Hehe. That song always makes me laugh :p

24. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

And that song reminds me of myself.
    It's scary almost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.