1. Prax

Prax New Member

Online names

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Prax, Jan 8, 2013.

I love finding names, inventing character names, seeing how names are made in other cultures etc. I'm interested in the ones people give themselves. Does anyone have any stories behind their username? Also when you get to know someone, online or in real life, do you think their username/s reflect their personality? I think they usually do, but in different ways for different people. What do you think? :)

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Got my name from an old book on slang Peacherino/Peachalulu it was some thirties exclamation for that's great or nifty. I
    wanted to use the name Peaches LaTour from an old movie called Arsenic and Old Lace - but some drag queen was using it - lol.
    I'm actually a pretty quiet person until I get to know someone So Peachalulu sort of fits. The internet allows me to cut out the shy part.

3. Talmay

Talmay Member

My last name means 'son of Talmai'. I substituted a 'y' to make it more feminine-looking.

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

'Lemex' is a name I've used for a long, long time. It means nothing and I like that.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Mine is sort of a pun on "second wind." I suppose my username should be two words, but I prefer it this way.

6. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Mine has been my internet handle since the early days of aol. I didn't want a name like Liz35672, so I used the world's greatest city, which happens to be my favorite, plus Liz. And it's stuck.

7. Quille

Quille Member

I started using mine three or so years ago, when playing an online fantasy game. It's a combination of a quill for arrows and and a pen for writing. Added the e to make it more feminine.

Funny thing is, slightly over 10 years ago, my real name was used in a book. I was a member of an alien species called the Quill. I'd forgotten about that until I reread the book last year.

Guess it was meant to be.

8. Prax

Prax New Member

I really love the meanings behind that one. :) Also Peachalulu, I like the idea of using old slang. I'm a bit obsessed with language and particularly old and obscure words/expressions, a name seems a nice place to bring them to life again.

9. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Nige is an old school nickname, that I acquired largely on the basis that it wasn't my real one. The hat should be fairly obvious. It actually began life as a cod-gangster name to put at the head of a cribbage score tally, along with Cornish Jim, Firecracker Andy and Knuckle-Duster Donna.

10. Green

Green Banned

Green's my favourite colour.

Now you know that.

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I chose minstrel because, in addition to being a writer, I'm a folksinger. I like Jethro Tull's album Minstrel in the Gallery as well. I've called myself minstrel online for many years now.

I just recently became aware that, in the USA, it has a derogatory meaning stemming from the old African-American minstrel shows. I'd never intended that. I grew up in Canada and that meaning just wasn't part of our culture. I thought about changing it for about a second and a half, but decided not to because I still like the name.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Before I joined WF, I was part of another forum for discussion of a TV series. By the time I decided to actually get an account and start posting, I knew most of my posts would be predictions of directions the story line might take: "I think... "

Cogito is Latin for "I think."

I was coming up with story ideas that in some cases I thought were better than what the show ended up doing. I had had an interest in writing when I was younger, which had been pretty sorely thumped by a college course I had taken (Writing and Experience). I decided to give it another shot. On that site, which Daniel also owned, there was a link to WF, so I tried it out. I saw no need to create a new name, so I stuck with Cogito, despite many members' inclination to insert an 'n' into it.

13. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Darkkin has been my internet handle for ages, but is also the name given to the tribe of shapeshifters in my current writing project.

14. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I've always had a fascination with mythology, and the story of the Phoenix always stuck with me. So, after finally realizing the awkwardness of some of my earlier usernames, (FlameWriter --because I wrote fast, but wasn't in tune enough with the internet to realize what it meant to 'flame' someone lol--and 'Afterburn,' like the afterburners on a jet or spaceship but without realizing just how awkward it sounds...) I decided to be reborn, so to speak, and make my username Phoenix.

Unfortunately, I wasn't the only one who though it was a cool user name. So after typing it into numerous games/sites with no success, and a grudge against long numerical tags attached to names, I just switched the 'o' and the 'e', to spell it more phonetically, and make it stand out a little more from the crowd.

So, to anyone who has ever seen my user name and thought, "Ha! That idiot misspelled his own username wrong! What a loser!" I say to you, its supposed to be that way, so deal with it! :D

15. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

A few years back I had to change my old handle as some unscrupulous begger had stolen it. Still not sure how he managed to do that before me - but never mind!

So I needed a new one, and I was watching a cartoon called The Tick. And I thought that was a cool name, but not really deadly serious enough. What I needed was a psychotic tick, and thus psychotick was born.

Cheers, Greg.

16. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

Mine is an old Air Force nickname. I was one of the smaller firefighters in the station, so the guys dubbed me "Thumper" after the rabbit in the Bambi movie ... able to get into tight spaces like cockpits and egress hatches. Some of the guys in the station took to adding the suffix, can't say why. I've used this handle since my first few months on AOL.

I like it because it has a ridiculous air to it.

17. Anielle

Anielle New Member

I have a few names I go by online the one I'm using here is my professional name which is taken from my actual middle name its Danielle with out the "D" and I pronounce it "ah nail" my boyfriend couldn't remember the pronunciation so he calls me Ani which sounds just like Annie.

The other two names I use online for other aspects of my "professional" life are Zili which I use for my jewelry making (my shop is called Zili's Emporium the second word of the title gives it more of a steampunk vibe.) Zili is actually a shorter form of my original screen name I used when making pixel dolls and posting in pixel forums the full name was Zilithzan a created name because I liked the three syllables zil-ith-zan but everyone on the forums shortened it to Zili which is ok since it sounds like silly. The other name I use is for my blog where I write under the pseudonym Raven Dossett. I chose Raven as the first name because I'm a fan of Edgar Allan Poe, the last name Dossett sounded similar to my favorite French name Georgette (a name I've used for an RPG before.)

18. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

Mine is something of a catchphrase of Larry David on Curb Your Enthusiasm, one of my favourite programmes. Not terribly interesting I'm afraid!

19. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Selbbin is my cat.

20. PaulKemp24

PaulKemp24 New Member

Paul Kemp is the name of the fictional Hunter S Thompson in his novel The Rum Diary. It's one of my favorite books and the character reminds me a lot of myself.

21. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm a 'natural' mother of 7, un-natural one of thousands i've mentored over the years... and my name is 'maia' [greek word for 'great mother/little mother/midwife/witch, all of which apply to some extent!]... 'nuff said...

22. sylvertech

sylvertech Active Member

I was young and I needed a name for an online game.
    Silver was my favorite color and I just threw tech in to sound cool.

I was actually surprised to learn that a german company had it first.

23. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

Online names?
    No big deal, I was just out of idea, so I just put the name of a character from a visual novel, that's all

24. XIII

XIII Member

XIII. There are thirteen members of the organization in Kingdom Hearts, thirteen is my favorite number, and Thirteen is the name if the main character in the novel I'm trying to write.

25. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

Michael Collins as Míċeál Ó Coileáin, Irish patriot and revolutionary leader. History needs more pople like him.