1. Faust

Faust Active Member

Obnoxious Fonts?!

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Faust, Jan 19, 2016.

Which fonts do you find in general, to be annoying? I actually have a special place in my heart for Papyrus but I cannot stand Comic Sans...

I know these fonts are far from professional, but in my experience they are also used in a variety of applications and uses.

Generally my fonts are : Arial, Times New Roman, Courier New, all 12 pt. I do as I have said, love the wonky Papyrus.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Fonts aren't a thing that register with me. To read on my Kindle, I think I use Georgia, but if it were Garamond or Times New Roman or Cambria, I doubt I would notice or care. So long as it's a conservative serif font. Other than that, *shrug*. I don't have too much of an eye for the subtler side of visual arts so my sense of aesthetic appreciation for fonts is pedestrian at best. I'm a big boy. I can admit that. :bigwink:

AASmith and BayView like this.
  3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I kinda like Times New Roman. I don't much care for Courier New, but I use it because it's an industry standard for submitting work. I'm so fontless I doubt I could name any others.

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I've always used some monospaced font that has a typewriter vibe. Anything else distracts me. I never could figure out why, until I read the following in I Murdered My Library by Linda Grant:

"I can't write in Times New Roman because it looks as though it's already printed. This comes from starting to write in the Paleolithic era, on an Olivetti portable typewriter...(snip)...I must use a font that is provisional, resembles typing and so is susceptible to savage editing..."

I never wrote on a typewriter, but I did start out with dot matrix printers.

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I'm not too picky - as long as I can read it without a struggle, they're all fine, including the hated Comic Sans.

Wreybies and AASmith like this.
  6. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

I dislike any wonky looking fonts. I keep it simple and generally write in Book Antique, Times, Calibri (sp?) or Cambria...the one that is serif. and that's basically it. I prefer Serif fonts because it looks most like a novel lol.

7. dedebird

dedebird Member

In my brain it's practically mandatory to use Times New Roman font. Probably because I'm fresh out of high school and going into college soon and every assignment had to be written in Times New Roman. So now every other kind of font just looks strange.

8. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Oh, I could tell you stories...
    But they would be fonts that you've never head of, and for the most part the names I've forgotten.

9. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @Faust I too am fond of the Papyrus font. :)

As for fonts in general not many outside of some of the more illegible ones really bother me. :p

10. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

Actually I am rather fond of Comic Sans, I use it in all my writing. Hey, why is Comic Sans not in the list of fonts for me to choose for this post?!

I am kidding.... :)

But I am fond of Comic Sans because I do stuff for my children and I am encouraging them to read and write. Of all the fonts that I have on my programs, Comic Sans has the "a" that is closest to how they write. No need to bag out Comic Sans. :)

11. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

I once started to see a therapist and he handed me his non-disclosure notice to look over. It was written in comic sans. I walked out of his office and got another therapist. I'm absolutely not kidding about that.

12. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I give you:
    [​IMG]
    :bigtongue:

daemon likes this.
  13. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

I should have also said, I hate Times Roman...is it just me that think words look uglier in that font?

14. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

The signs in hell are printed in this font.

Cave Troll likes this.
  15. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Are those like obnoxious interrobangs?! :p

16. Montego Bay

Montego Bay Banned

I write in Ubuntu because it's better on my eyes; Times New Roman feels too stiff and distracting to me; actually, a lot of my early work was written in TNR and brings back flashbacks of bad writing :p Other than Ubuntu, I also like Arial and Cambria. Also, I have unbridled hate for Courier New, and all fonts that look they should be on a billboard advertising nail salons. I like Comic Sans because it's supposed to be easier to read for dyslexic people, but that doesn't stop me from hating the everloving crap out of Papyrus; my favorite movie Smoke Signals used the font as its title opener...

17. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I mostly write in Courier New.
    Probably because it's the most accepted font for submissions and I just got dead used to it.
    Times New Roman just looks small and weird to me.

18. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

I often write sans-serif, but like reading the font with serifs if it's something I'm not writing.

Did that make sense?