1. motormouth

motormouth Member

character desiginng

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by motormouth, May 16, 2012.

Do any of you know any ways that i can use to design my characters' looks. I need one soi can have an idea of how the actors will generally dress when on stage. Or for you fashion designers and ideas or pointers would be appreciated
    Characters-
    Lance- Sort of a rugged handsome guy, and uses this to manipulate women.His look should show that he is indeed better loooking than the rest of the men in the cast..
    Duncan- Shakespeare buff, friend of Lance, Less confident and far less attractive than Lance is.

Roswell- webmaster/conspiracy buff. Very rude and convinced everything is a conspiracy (basically Fox Mulder) All i can get is him wearing a Che Guevara shirt

Nandi- Lance's Younger sister. A college graduate and a astrology buff, firmly believes in the horoscope (i guess shed wear insignignia of star signs)

Navarrah- A fashion designer, makes her own clothes (all i can think of is she'd wear unconventional clothes, probably overdress, im thinking and Egyptian motif)

Vida- Lances totally devoted girlfriend. Of Cuban descent. Speaks Spanish occasionally. I guess shes a wild dresser, so i'm guessing, big hairstyles which change every scenes, hoop earrings , too much makeup. Basically one stop short of looking ghetto.

So any suggestions would be appreciated (mind that this is a church production so the dress cant go too far (i.e mini skirts, toungue rings tattoos etc)

2. MissRis

MissRis New Member

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking... Are you asking for us to recommend clothes for your stage performance? I'm a bit of a fashion nut and would love to suggest stuff, but I'm not exactly what you are asking.

3. MissRis

MissRis New Member

Okay well I posted a website in a second post, but it has obviously been deleted. I don't feel like your descriptions of your character are really conducive to describe particular clothing, but I'll give it a shot.

Lance - Rugged, in my opinion, suggests a man who doesn't try hard, but is still handsome. It would be more like unshaven, longish hair, jeans and a plain t-shirt.

Duncan - I would think something plain as well - golf shirt, jeans, running shoes type thing.

Navarrah - I picture lots of heavy jewelery in golds, browns, and creams. I think you have her pretty much pinned down.

Vida - I don't like how you have her dressing. It seems slightly insensitive to assume that she'd be "ghetto" because of her Cuban background. What you could do would be dress in bright colours, maybe a bit sexy, but I would stay away from stereotyping her.

PM me if you want the name of the website I recommended.

Nandi - I would avoid the zodiac sign t-shirts. It seems super cheesy. I'm not sure what else she would wear though.

Roswell - it seems you have his outfit. I would go with the Che Guevera shirt and maybe cargo pants.

4. motormouth

motormouth Member

I wasnt thinking of her being ghettosih because of her heritage, but just that she looks "loud" and the cuban ethnicity was just a side feature. The aim isto make it seem odd that lance would ever hook up woth a girl like that (hes using her)

5. twilightguardian

twilightguardian New Member

I would mostly recommend looking around fashion sites like Polyvore if you're just asking about clothing. It allows you to look through fashionable items and you can cutomize outfits there. I know a lot of people use it for their characters and I've done it a few times so that I could write a clothing description. You know your characters best, so who better than you to ultimately decide.

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

You seem to be actively trying to dress these characters stereotypically. Unless your play is a broad comedy that leans heavily on stereotypes, I wouldn't do this.

7. motormouth

motormouth Member

It is comedic, but what im also doing is trying to make each character stand out as much as possible via their designs