1. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

Open university free online course

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Tim3232, Oct 13, 2015.

This is the link https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/start-writing-fiction/4/

The course started yesterday and runs for 8 weeks. So far it doesn't impress me but others seem to be enjoying it and we all need different things.

It looks like once you've started you can access the material for all 8 weeks. I would imagine anyone can still enrol.
    The course has been set up by authors - I haven't checked them out.
    So far it comprises text, videos(short), questionnaires and exercises. You can post you answers to the exercises and others can like or can comment on your answers.
    I'm not sure if there is a limit on how many can enrol on the course. There are people from all over the world. It appears to be aimed at novice writers. I think you're expected to spend 3 hours for each week. That's up to you and I guess depends on how long you spend in discussion with other participants. You can drop out anytime but you don't appear to be able to take a look without enrolling.

The OU has a good reputation. Sorry, if this has already been posted elsewhere here, only had a quick check and it didn't jump out.
    The title is - start-writing-fiction - so from that I don't think you can expect too much.

Oh yes - there are transcripts of the transmissions and other things that can be downloaded.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    jannert and DefinitelyMaybe like this.
  2. Christine Ralston

Christine Ralston Active Member

I've browsed through the first couple weeks of it. I'm not too impressed with it.

3. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

Part of Week 2 of the course covers feedback with a brief download pdf guide.

4. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

If it's a free course, it can't hurt to have a go. At least it seems to be mentored by published authors. Good post, @Tim3232 .

5. Tim3232

Tim3232 Active Member

I whizzed thru this course in a week or so. A few of the pieces that I was allocated to review were good but there are also people on the course whose English isn’t brilliant. I don’t normally do s/s but enjoyed writing and getting feedback on the 3 exercises I did. (You don't get to choose which pieces you critique but don't have to take what's allocated - simply sign out and sign back later to get another one.)

Having run through it so quickly I didn’t participate in the participant’s discussions but that does look to be an important part of the course. I think people are still joining the course.

While it didn’t do a lot for me - to be fair, I didn’t put much into it. It’s another learning experience. A number of people do seem to be getting something out of it.