5. 70% so close!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Spectacularly amazingly wonderful!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Veo

Veo Member

Plot suggestions or improvements please?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Veo, Jun 30, 2014.

Hi!
    First of all, I am a new member, nice to meet you :p I will, soon...
    So here are my unorganised ideas for my fantasy novel. Please do suggest improvements to make the plot more original, fresh, interesting. (They might be expressed in several books.)

The main character (protagonist), Leo, is a 14 years old unusual teenager who is smart, mysterious, brave, and curious. He lives in England, Nottinghamshire. After receiving the news that droplets of blood have been discovered in the school’s basement, Leo and his friends (Chris and Lori) venture into the basement. [...] All fall into the trapdoor. They discover 3 doors; each enters one. [...] Will-o'-the-wisps tell Lori about The Coven, a secret organisation of Witches that kill all Chosen Mages. When Lori and Leo get freed, they try to find Chris and discover more about The Coven. The next day Leo's father dies. He's taken by the International Mages' Community and has a conference. He discovers he's a Chosen Mage. But he's not a full one, because his birth ceremony had not taken place. Her mother is informed, too. [... ...] He discovers his uncle is evil and has connections with The Coven. The International Mages' Community invites him and some others from his school to attend special classes of Defense and Wizardry. {A love triangle happens} Leo finds out that The Coven are sent to action by Spandaramet, the ruler of the Underworld in the Armenian Mythology.

I know this is really vague and stupid and full of stupidity and such, but please, suggest a plot twist, an idea, I am helpless! I need something new, unseen. I've built my own fantasy world...

T H A N K S

2. Annalise_Azevedo

Annalise_Azevedo Member

Alright if it's one thing I'm great at, it's plot twists and with a story like this, its almost as easy as making two minute noodles :D

So I'll use an example in my novel but there's someone that the protagonist trusts before they turn out to be the one responsible for all the current deaths in the town. So you can have a character whether he or she is a side character that your character Leo trusts and make them out to be an antagonist along with the uncle. Another great thing you could do is have the uncle turn out that he is working for someone stronger to resurrect some evil spirit or something. You could make one of the people from the love triangle rather broken (which in my opinion gives a better plot). I'm not so good with love triangles though because I kinda feel bad for the one that gets hurt in the end...

Usually I have more ideas but I am kinda tired xD If you're stuck on inspiration just write down any idea that pops into your head. Even if one of the character's find a magical pony in the middle of the desert just list it down. Then after a list is formed, you can go through it and tick things you want on your story.

I hope this helps :D

Veo likes this.
  3. Veo

Veo Member

4. maskedhero

maskedhero Active Member

I would certainly try to make any villain, like your characters' uncle, close and likable at first. A predictable villain can be a bit boring.

5. Veo

Veo Member

I am good at creating masked villains. This would be a bit like thriller, but the true villain is not going to be revealed until the end.

6. thearchitect

thearchitect Member

Always remember the golden rule - it's not what you write but how you write it that defines your story, if you go on and write it amazingly no one will think it's stupid, start your novel and see do YOU enjoy writing it

Veo likes this.
  7. Timothy Mims

Timothy Mims New Member

Hello Veo,

I'm new here as well and enjoyed reading your ideas.

I've always enjoyed stories based around organizations rather than individuals. So much opportunity for betrayal, drama, and a characters sympathy for the enemy. Or hatred.

For some reason I immediately see the opportunity for a twist of perception to the reader. I see "The Coven" and "Witches" being synonymous with a negative connotation, as well as the I.M.C being synonymous with "Mages."

Perhaps "Witches" was a name given to the Coven by the International Mages Community for the purpose of instilling an incorrect prejudice of hatred and fear into their followers toward an organization that merely disagrees with the I.M.C's philosophy. Maybe they're not so evil after all, maybe these "witches" are just mages that practice a different art and follow a different philosophy.

That's just an idea I've gleaned from your post :)

Good luck!

GingerCoffee and Veo like this.
  8. Veo

Veo Member

Hello.
    Thanks! :)
    But The Coven are really bad ;) ...

9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

My main reaction is, "And?" Your described plot could be backstory, it could be possibly stretched to as much as half a novel, but to be a novel you need a resolved plot, so there's a lot more to go.

GingerCoffee and Veo like this.
  10. Veo

Veo Member

;) I've thought of something more complex and enchanting.... Thank you for your response.

ToeKneeBlack likes this.
  11. benmetcalfe8

benmetcalfe8 New Member

Not my kind of story but I like it.

Veo likes this.