1. amyh

amyh New Member

Opinions on novels which touch on 'sensitive' subjects?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by amyh, Sep 14, 2012.

I've just finished the 'Reason to Breathe' series by Rebecca Donovan, well the final component is out next year but it's a really intriguing novel which in the first one shows a teenage who suffers from violent abuse from her Aunt. It actually moved me to tears at one point and Donovan really does go there.

What is your view on this type of literature? Do you appreciate an honest account, do you like explicit details or suggestion/subtle implications without really 'going into detail' of the trauma the protagonist experiences?

Amy

2. Audiomeleska

Audiomeleska New Member

The goal of stories is to have the reader identify with the characters. It allows the reader to experience through their imagination what it would be like to be in such a situation without actually experiencing it. While their are many circumstances I would not like to read, I feel that what a writer feels is necessary to get an emotional connection between the reader and the character is fair game.

How graphic and detailed I would like to read these things depends on the purpose of the story. If the story is primarily meant to be entertainment, I would rather leave out the explicit details unless they are necessary to move the story. On the other hand, if the piece is meant to try and bring understanding about a specific type of abuse or other event, then I think that the full details should be there as the goal is to allow the reader to understand how it feels to be a victim of that type of abuse.

3. Jamie Regent-Villiers

Jamie Regent-Villiers New Member

Personally I believe that there is enough graphic violence and abuse in real life so I prefer not to read fiction/non-fiction which mirrors this. However, I am totally opposed to censorship in any shape or form so I support authors who write graphically. Me myself,I prefer not to read about it,

4. tiffanylyn

tiffanylyn New Member

I'll read graphic details of touchy subjects (events) if I'm immersed into the MC. I don't search such subject matter out, though. I've not read the book you mentioned and will look it up. I've never cried reading a book, and I've honestly wondered at times if something is wrong with me. Same goes with movies. Then I spoke to a friend that said it's because of the wall I put up to deal with abuse I had when young. Maybe a book with a story similar to mine might be of help to me. I'm intrigued now. Thanks for bringing this up. Now I realize my final answer to you is: Yes, I believe it's very important for authors to feel free to write hard-hitting details of difficult subjects. Therapy, maybe? Certainly teaches sympathy in readers, which I believe is something our culture lacks. Thanks again.

5. Youssef Salameh

Youssef Salameh Senior Member

Would like to share an important matter regarding the subject. Revealing the weak points of human beings through writing it as a story will help people to confront upcoming temptations that is put to test all human beings.
    It reveals our weaknesses and lets us rise from the falls which are due to temptation. So going in the trauma in a story enlightens us, especially if the author is skillful.

6. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

You can do anything you want as long as you do it right. I do agree with the previous post. It reminded me of the catharsis described by Aristotle. We participate in fictional crime and suffering, and by the end of the process we end up feeling great in real life...

7. Jasmine Collins

Jasmine Collins Member

I think it's important to remember that those things do happen in real life. Doesn't mean we have to read about it all the time, but it's definitely important to have it available. The subtle way is usually best, but think about how popular the girl with the dragon tattoo is and that is pretty darn graphic. There's a place for it.