1. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Opinions of Matthew Reilly?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Scarecrow28, Aug 17, 2008.

I know many consider his books to be literary versions of action films with one-dimensional, generic characters trapped within stories of constant violence and action to hold together the plot. In MY personal opinion, I find his novels to be extremely interesting and a great form of escapism. I don't mind having to suspend my perception of realism while reading his novels, especially when considering just how thrilling they truly are. If you like novels with great character development and emotional depth, STAY AWAY!!! But if you enjoy action/adventure novels and films, check him out. His best works, at least in my opinions, include Temple, Ice Station, Scarecrow, and the new Jack West Jr. Series.

2. M Lowe

M Lowe New Member

I adore Matthew Reilly. He's a lovely guy (my superior knowledge comes from meeting him for five minutes at a book signing, lol).

My favourite is Ice Station, which I read first. Two words: Killer whales. That's all you really need to know about this book, lol. Aside from Ice Station, I'd have to say that Temple was really great. I had reservations about two storylines but it worked perfectly (and I found myself wanting to read what was written in the journal as opposed to the present story). And I love, love the Jack West Jnr books. The ensemble of characters have great interaction.

His books are just too much fun to read, I can't put them down. Well, except during that bit in Scarecrow :( I had to take a minute and process what he'd just gone and done! They are pure escapism like you said, in it's greatest form by not taking itself too seriously.

I need the next book now! *grabby hands*

3. hellomoto

hellomoto New Member

Matthew Reilly is the best!!!! I love all his books, especially Seven Ancient Wonders in the Jack West JR series. IT IS So FRICKING AWESOME and I'm currently reading it for the 2nd time.

4. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

I just wish he'd announce when the new Jack West Jr. was coming out.