Opinions sought - the future of printed materials

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by GingerCoffee, Apr 5, 2014.

?

In 1-2 centuries will we have printed materials?

1. Yes, books will still be made.

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. No, only antique books will exist.

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. People will print materials still, but not books.

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Individual books will exist but not in paper format.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other (please explain, thanks).

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

That is wrong. There is plenty of non-fiction, including textbooks. Amazon offers it. Project Gutenburg is devoted to expired-copywrite and offers kindle's format.

2. Zaphina

Zaphina New Member

Interesting topic, I personally think it will all be on kindles etc. I think you can get most books, textbooks, newspapers etc. in electronic format. There are few printed materials that haven't been converted. It would make me quite sad to have everything in electronic format though, I love flicking through books and even the smell adds to the experience. It is fairly unpredictable as mentioned but I think if things carry on the way they are, we'll run out of trees to use for books and also electronic devices will become much cheaper (perhaps even cheaper than purchasing certain books - certainly if you buy them electronically now they are already slightly cheaper). In short, it is believable that there are no books in a not too distant future.

3. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

A few things, sure. Gutenburg has some very old things. Yet if you are interested in nonfiction from the 20th century, almost none of it is ebooked.

4. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

What you have is a sheet of what looks like paper and weighs not much more, but the text is driven by a chip attached to one corner. The words form on the paper and looks very much like print, but will change to the next page or even scroll at the touch of a finger. It can even be rolled up - but not folded, at least not yet. In the future, the paper itself might be touch sensitive like a tablet screen.

5. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

I do know that almost every publication of the Oxford University Press is available in ebook form. PAN MacMillan is developing an ebook lending scheme in conjunction with libraries world wide. I'm sure there is much more.

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Are you maybe thinking of specific categories of nonfiction? When I look at my Kindle, more than two-thirds of the books on it are nonfiction.

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

This is cool. Definitely will be useful concept to incorporate into my future world.

http://www.dvice.com/2013-1-16/papertab-worlds-first-paper-tablet-pc-rethinks-multitasking

http://www.dvice.com/archives/2013/01/sharp-keeps-tea.php

http://www.dvice.com/archives/2011/01/samsung-does-am.php

8. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I don't think they'll stop printing books but they might stop printing in bulk and shrink to print on demand.

I don't think paper waste should ever be an issue concerning books, though. There's so many other things trees are cut down and wasted for - books are the least waste of all. Plus, if anyone ever thought along that line, censorship could slip in - your book isn't worth chopping down trees.

Not that I hate technology, I'd love to buy a Kindle. A lot of books are being uploaded, books that are oop and practically being ransomed on abe, it would be nice to download them at a reasonable price. I don't thing the future should be either or. It's nice to hold something in your hand and it's also nice to have something available at a reasonable price.

9. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I think this sums it up.

Attached Files: