1. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

Moonlight Sonata and others...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Baywriter, Jun 25, 2008.

I do play the piano, and I am attempting to learn to play the third movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Has anyone else already learned it? Do you have any specific advice, such as fingering? That would help a lot. I'm struggling a bit, though I did just pick it up today. I think in about a year I could have it perfected.

And while we're on the subject... What are your favorite piano pieces?

2. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I wish, oh how I wish, I had the music for KT Tunstall's Through the Dark. Oh, what a great piano tune.

In the meantime, though, I enjoy playing Seasons of Love and Ragtime (the song from the musical- although I enjoy the whole style, too). I also like Billy Joel's Vienna, Drops of Jupiter by Train, and the nifty version I have of I'll Never Tell from Once More, With Feeling. So fun to play- especially the jazzy part!

3. Baywriter

Any song I can't find the sheet music to, I simply try and learn by ear (if it's easy). I just to a listen to Through the Dark and it sounds relatively easy. I want to try and learn that one now because I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice tune. ^^

Oh, and Seasons of Love is fun to play. That was the first song I learned when I got the piano book of Rent.

4. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Same...quickly followed by La Vie Boheme. I love that bass line.

5. Cpn. Anon

Cpn. Anon New Member

I'm learning that as well, got the first two pages to an ok standard. For the initial theme, just practice it in small sections of time; just play it through once or twice (but repeat this throughout the day), that bit is surprisingly easy, and you'll find that you pick it up really quick. You might want to try really jumping on the main notes of the passage as well, it should make it sound more musically coherent (i guessed the term 'musically coherent', so sorry if that makes no sense).
    The sheets that i'm reading from have a few of the notes numbered for fingering; if yours doesn't i'll happily scan it in.

My favorite piece is currently Chopins Op. 48 No. 1.

6. Baywriter

I downloaded and printed mine, so it has no fingering. That would help a lot. Yeah, I got through the first bit without a problem. I've also got the first two pages down. The stuff afterward and in the middle is proving to be a bit of a problem. xD

7. JanesLife

JanesLife New Member

Hurrah for musicians! I am also a pianist (and a cellist), but sadly have not played the Moonlight Sonata. I'm working on The Tempest, though (and cry often because it's very tricky).

8. Cpn. Anon

Cpn. Anon New Member

Sorry about the delay. They're on the way to your inbox as i type this. Theres one more page than there should be, so there must be one page i did twice (i can't tell because i don't have photoshop on my own pc).

Can you recommend any uplifting pre-contemporary classical pieces? For years now i've been playing particularly despairing pieces; only a few i've actually played have been outside of C# Minor. I've played alot of Einaudi, but his work really sounds best on a real piano (not on a digital), where you can really feel the vibrations and have a beautiful tone.

Thanks