1. chaoserver

chaoserver New Member

Writing hurts my eyes(on computer) anything like kindle for typing?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by chaoserver, Dec 9, 2011.

So I've been on a roll writing, trying to bag ten pages a day and then editing it each following morning and continuing. Thats all fine and good but unfortunately my computer screen proves to be brutal on my eyes. What do other people do to manage? I prefer typing to pen and pencil because it's going to need to be typed sooner or later, and my pages end up very hard to read from all the edits I make.

2. bruce

bruce Active Member

I set my display colors to white text against black background.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

This is a good idea. I've been a professional computer programmer for a lot of my life, and this is how I set my colors. White on black is much easier on the eyes than black on white, at least when you're using a backlit display.

4. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

Is there any sort of study out on this? Because, if that's so, then I have a lot of default settings that I can swap out. I've been sticking with Black on White, but I'll do some experimenting in the meantime and let you know.

5. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

I've had problems as well and I have not eliminated them, but I have done a few things to ameliorate them. One, I try to blink as much as possible, but of course i still don't do it enough, so I do moisten the eyes every now and again ( well once a day if I'm honest.) I have a pair of reading glasses i use in place of my varifocals just for reading the computer as well.

I'm going to try this white on black, though. It's worth a shot anyhow.

6. chaoserver

chaoserver New Member

any idea how to go to this setting on win7?

7. Ixloriana

Ixloriana New Member

What version of Windows 7?

If you can find the window settings, any of the "high contrast" themes except "high contrast white" will be light text on a black background.

8. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

Just changing the font size helps or the zoom level of the document. But I'm anxious to try the white on black thing.

9. Bob Stuart

Bob Stuart New Member

This is usually what happens to me the end of the night. I can't even see the text they just get blurry. You can't do much. I think you can buy some sort of "glas", wich you put over the screen. It saves the eyes alot I think.

10. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

I use a white font on black background when I write, though a black background and a colored text helps too. It "blurs" the text a bit, so it's not so sharp and makes it easier to read. Just don't make it so dark you can't see anything. It also helps that I have 24" monitor and zooms the page so it touches the edge of the screen. It makes the text larger and easier to see.

11. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I bought a 24 inch 1080p monitor to help me with this. I also have it zoomed in at 102%.

12. Metus

Metus New Member

I'm not sure if your question has been answered, but something to look into is an Alphasmart. It's old tech now, but they're still for sale for only about $30 online. The newer models have a ton of memory space and battery life, given their lacklustre display and the fact that they're only good for writing. I own one. Unfortunately, it once deleted all of my data just randomly. . . so back up your work regularly on a computer if you buy one.

13. Cacian

Cacian Banned

computer screens have not been designed to protect your eyes.
    Technology needs updating in order to protect eyesight. A protective screen is needed that is harmless to the eye.
    I have not seen any around yet.
    If your eyes start to hurt I would definetely suggest you stop usingthe screen type for now and use a traditional type writer.
    It is for you safety because the eyes are sensitive.
    You need to take break/long breaks in between if you are using the computer.

14. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

Isn't there some kind of filter for screens, to make it easier on your eyes?

15. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I have not come across it yet.
    I believe computer screens can be tiring term to the eye if you are not careful.
    If you do type more then say an hour you need to take breaks or resort to the old fashion type writer.
    Wearing glasses is another way of protecting your eyes.

16. Shifty

Shifty Member

I live in my head with my characters most of the
    Don't know if this has been suggested already but try turning the brightness settings on your monitor down.
    Your basically staring into a light bulb when your on a pc, makes mine hurt sometimes too, turned down the brightness which was on 100% to say 50% and made it much better.
    Also take a break when you can.

17. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

It may not be your eyes that are failing. I just replaced my two year old 22 inch screen because it fell over with a new one, and I can't believe the difference. The new one is just so much brighter. And they're quite cheap. In fact I'm now thinking I should have got the 24.

Go down to the store and start shopping screens. Set them all to the same settings, font, brightness etc, and see if they make a difference.

Cheers.

18. Ixloriana

Ixloriana New Member

Found one, in case anyone is interested: NuShield glare-reducing screen cover.

19. chaoserver

chaoserver New Member

That alpha thing looks freaking amazing, thanks!!!