1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. Fanficlover

Fanficlover Member

Organizing My Stories

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Fanficlover, Nov 24, 2010.

Hello, people. I just want to say something if this is a good idea of what I am doing. You see, I come up a lot of ideas for stories, either if it is fan-fic, original, etc. You see, I always make a web chart for that specific story that I thought of. Is that a good idea to do? If there is a better way to organize the list of the stories that I want to write about if I have motivation and will, then post it please:D

2. Newfable

Newfable Senior Member

The rule of thumb is: whatever works for you.

That sounds like a roundabout answer, but it's true. Just remember that some methods of organization may hamper creativity or new ideas; just stay aware of what you're doing and stay open to new things, and anything you do should be fine.

I've heard of authors actually plotting out plots and sub-plots with drawings boards and recipie cards, much like they do in films or animated movies. Other people will just stack like things together: sub-plots, character development, themes, symbols, etc.

Structure your story, just don't let your structure, structure you.

3. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

I use timeline/flowchart type diagrams to outline.