1. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Organizing My Thoughts

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by ValianceInEnd, Feb 19, 2008.

Hi there. I have this complicated idea for a novel with ideas all over the place and I need some advice on how I can make them tie together and not be a jumbled mess of words. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

ValianceInEnd,
    A suggestion:
    Possibly you need to sift out all of the clutter and get the main storyline/plot line down?

What is the main conflict the protagonist faces? What are some of the main events that lead up to the climax, where the difficulty is overcome/or the protagonist fails? How does the novel end...what's the result(s) of the conflict.

Then, examine all of the other ideas and events you have floating around (maybe jot them all down). Which ones support the main story? Which ones go off on tangents? Which might run parallel or be used as a foil to events in the story/novel?

A warning: Don't get to attached to ideas, scenes, bits of dialogue--especially those that are not moving the novel's action forward. Just as when editing, even a sentence, description, verbal/dialogue exchange, may need to be modified, shortened, or even cut, so might more than a few of the scattered ideas.

It doesn't mean they aren't good ideas. Just not right for the story being told. Save them and use them elsewhere, a nother novel, a sequel, a short story...or weave one or two into the plot in a revision of the current novel, if something is missing, and they fill the need.

Terry

3. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Wow, thank you so much for the very professional advice!

4. Iulia

Iulia New Member

Excellent. I can't really offer advice you still need since Ervin pretty much covered that. Just wanted to say I love this kind of thing if it ties together right in the end, and good luck!

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have a 'fixing a sick synopis' piece i'll be happy to send you, if you want... it's been helpful for many writers mired in plot trouble...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com