1. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Ideas needed for magical mundane devices.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by psychotick, Nov 9, 2011.

Hi,

I'm part way through the second novella in my Wizard at Law series, and looking for interesting ideas as to what my wizard Thomas Crow can have on him and use in his work.

To give you a little more information, Thomas Crow is an urban wizard and lawyer,who uses his magic to defend his clients, both in regular court and also the Circle. Thus far I've given him a watch which he can use to see someone's truthfulness and also their emotional state by the colour of the hands, a laptop which can do that and lots more, a set of rings which have all sorts of enchantments on them, a briefcase which can display someone's memories, etc. I'm trying to keep my character away from typical wizard things like wands and pointy hats, and make him an urban Londoner.

All suggestions gratefully received,and any that I do use, I'll give acknowledgements for in the finished novella.

Thanks in advance,

Greg.

2. muscle979

muscle979 Member

Maybe he could use a smart phone as well.

3. SnappyUK

SnappyUK New Member

The first one I thought of is just another lie-detector: a magical dust that he can sprinkle over a written statement which turns the lies a different colour.
    Some sort of time-freeze/time-travel device (could be the watch), that allows him to pause the trial after the witness in the box has given an answer he wants to investigate, so he can go off and find out what really happened.
    Expanding on muscle979's mention of a smartphone, perhaps it could allow him to speak to the dead - assuming he's defending a murder charge.

And the most magical of all: An Oyster card that works every time and never needs topping up.:cool:

4. Jetshroom

Jetshroom Active Member

He could have a set of clicky executive balls that help him convince people to do what he tells them, or that he's right.
    For in court, a stack of papers that intimidates his opponents perhaps.

5. T1p2

T1p2 New Member

How about silver cuff links that allow him to read the surface thoughts of whoever he shakes hands with?

6. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Honestly, I think he has enough already. I think it would be more interesting to see him work with the limitations he has now. Having a character that has no limits is not fun to read. You cant get invested in his well being or get "on the edge of your seat" when you know he can do anything.

7. psychotick

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input. And believe me my character has limits imposed upon him. Both those imposed on him from without by the Circle, and those of his own nature, i.e. conscience and a lack of powerful spells. I tried to make him a minor power level wizard rather then a superhero type wizard, so that he has to solve his cases as much by his wits as his magic.

Cheers, Greg.

8. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

This sounds like something I would love to read. I hope you post some of it in the Workshop.

9. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Google 19th century patent applications. They invented every gadget under the sun (I know, back to social history again :))

10. AJ Winters

AJ Winters New Member

An inhaler? Enhances his powers perhaps? :)

11. Tiki

Tiki New Member

I like the dust for lies idea! Or maybe a spinning top that falls and is charmed to point him in the right direction. Another desk decoration -maybe a thirsty bird - that indicates how grumpy his secretary is that day.. or maybe the judge he is working with. Maybe he somehow humorously acquires a cat that has a charmed collar that can help with surveillance - audio, video, emotion levels? or maybe guards his office or something...

Oh, what fun!

12. psychotick

Hi Tiki,

Maybe the thirsty bird is good idea since his receptionist is a gorgon! As for surveillance, I gave him a bodiless imp. (Cat's are simply too damned lazy and stubborn to bother with work!)

Madhoca, its not steampunk but I'm fascinated anyway so will google away.

Cheers.

13. ic1978

ic1978 New Member

A tie the squeezes his neck and causes him to cough in court if the jury is not sympothetic to his client. He rarely uses it because of the adverse side effects. The prosecution has a tie that looks just like it. Somewhere, somehow, the prosecutor picks it up thinking it belongs to him and bad things ensue.

Playing off the smart phone idea... He has an app on his phone with two buttons; one red and the other blue. He gives it to his clients and they press the color of their choosing. One button records their thoughts which can be heard and the other downloads pics of past events pertinent to his clients case/crime.