1. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Help With Academy Name?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by JTheGreat, May 17, 2010.

In my story, those with psychic powers are considered nobles, and are sent to an academy where they are trained in their powers, as well as book-studies and knightly combat. 'Cause they're basically knights. So yeah.

Anyway, I have no idea what to call the school. It's set in the nation of Arcanthia, by the way. I've considered the Arcanthian Academy of Combat, but that doesn't cover the other subjects the students study.

I'll accept names not pertaining to the nation or what the school covers, by the way. There was a school for psychics in this manga I read called Alice Academy. Go crazy. As long as it sounds remotely medieval, of course.

I've looked through my usual online naming archive (NameThatGoth) and nothing seems to stand out. So if you think of anything, please let me know.

2. Ro-J

Ro-J New Member

Sounds like an intriguing stroy. :)

Perhaps we need a bit more info? Who is the principal of the school and what are all the subjects that are there being offered?

The reason why I ask, is that in X-men, Charles Xavier's academy is called Xavier Institute for Higher Learning, and it was formerly Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. They learn to use there powers properly and also had regular school, like regular kids.

I am having the same trouble thinking of a name for my book. LOL. I need some help too. :)
    So maybe the founder or principal of the academy can be honored in the name of your fictional academy. What other ideas have you had for the name of the school?

3. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

Arcanthia? Namethatgoth? Oh, dear.

I think I've got a good idea already of the aesthetic you're after. I'm not about to list any actual suggestions (mostly because I always keep the good ones for myself), but you should consider doing the jumble on some names from the European middle ages and Norse mythology.

Anagrams are your friend. Just please, try to keep it subtle.

4. MissBelle

MissBelle New Member

How about something sort of vague, like The Academy?

I agree, with more info it would be easier to figure out a great name. But, just don’t make it seem like your trying to hard to come up with a complex name. I hope this helped a little.

5. Syph

Syph New Member

You can have this one for free:

Despia Garden

6. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

"How about something sort of vague, like The Academy? "

Even better - The Arcademy ;)

7. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Ooh, punny! Whether you were being serious or not, that's an option high on my list.

8. Momo

Momo New Member

When I choose names for people, places, or special items, I like to research a bit. I often dip into Norse mythology for names, sometimes the Bible. Usually, I choose names that have deep coded meanings so when my stories are, eventually, published, I can explain where the name came from. Also, I feel like I'm leaving little hints of foreshadowing for the readers to sift through when I name something that has an actual meaning in another language or some mythological story.

For the academy, since it's for people with special abilities, you could name it Delphi Oracle Academy. I usually put these type of things in my stories because it has various layers of meaning. The Oracle of Delphi was in ancient Greece AND D.O.A., Dead on Arrival... could be some typeof foreshadowing :D

Anyway, I hope this helped!

9. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

In my days of rping I did many academy based rps, each one with a different name. You're free to use some of them, I'll list them below with a basic concept about why I chose these names.

Blue Rose Academy: A school for those who are different from the world, originally it was designed for mythilogical creatures, and creatures of the shadows, but it soon escalated into any sort of persona who is different from what we as humans consider normal.

Pointsetta Gems: It was more of a magically gifted type school, sort of like Hogwarts just without the Harry Potter theme.

School of Anima: Well the name kinda says it all, but anyways, this was a school for those who were mixed between an animal and human.

There were others, but I'm afraid that I can't reach them anymore after deleting them because of rpers who prefered to play god rather then work as a team to tell the world a good story. If I can think of anymore, I'll post them.

10. joanna

joanna Active Member

Sometimes when I'm driving home from work, I think about what title I'm going to choose for my novel. I have a number of them I'm considering and am always trying to think of a better one, and a better one, and then one that's better than that.

But it doesn't get me closer to finishing the novel. It's just a way to procrastinate and fixate on something other than writing the thing.

Focus on the writing. It may seem very significant what you call the academy, but to your reader, it's just words they'll blow by while they're focusing on more important things like plot and characters.

Call it The Academy. Short and simple enough to even be mysterious.

11. ilocar

ilocar Member

call it 'The [city where its located] Academy for the [whatever the Psychic Upper class call themselves]'
    or The [Psychic Upper class] Academy
    or The Academy of [Term for Psychic Powers] and combat(or swordsmanship, etc.)

also, does the Psychic learning follow a Scientific mindset or a Mystical mindset. that is to say are you Moving the Materials to Cause a Reaction? or are you Telemotivating the Matter to Retrosignifcate a Psychocentric effect? it doesn't change the grammar, but it affects the feel of the words and I capitolized Moving, Materials, Cause, and Reaction on purpose.

the question is: is this an Academy of the Psychicks(compare Magicks) or an Academy of Telekinesis, or if the Psychic abilities are Varied perhaps ESP(Extra-Sensory Percetion) or Psychocentric Effect Manifestation(PEM, I guess)

12. System-Crashed

System-Crashed New Member

The name doesn't really matter that much but just don't make up words.