1. Ella_J

Ella_J New Member

Other words to use in place of...

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Ella_J, Jul 7, 2011.

I've come across my habit for adding 'were' constantly. It's getting overused and it was hard to see till I started reading back once I finished one of the chapter's. I tried googling for lists of words to in their place, but nada. I could be missing it totally. If you guys could lend a hand here and give me some to use? :)

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Can you give an example of when you use 'were?'

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Use any active verb. It might require changing the sentence around a bit. There's loads of ways to do it.

"She was cold" --> "Cold air bit through her jacket," etc. ("She felt cold" is really no better than "was" because you're not putting the reader inside the character)

"The paperwork was boring" --> "Joe picked up the papers, already thinking about his coffee break as his head swam and his mouth watered with sleepy drool."

"She was annoying" --> "I nodded along, thinking about the front door and hoping she'd walk through it soon. Her high, loud voice strained my ears."

Some will tell you that you can replace "was" with "seemed," "felt," "looked" or some other word, but this is just as bad. It's vague and isn't the quality of writing that will immerse the reader in the story.

This isn't to say that you should use long wordy descriptions, because that's not the case at all. But think about it: in a story, readers should be so immersed that they think they ARE the character while they're reading. So phrases like "he felt" will take them out of that, because you're reminding them that it's a story. Does that make sense? I tend to ramble, lol.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It is not a matter of replacing verbs. It comes down to writing less passively. Use stronger actions in your sentences.

Instead of "The houses on the street were all painted white or various shades of gray." You would drop the sentence entirely. Instead, you would incorporate the description into an action sentence that takes place on the street.

"We cruised along the gray street, passing house after colorless house, trying to find number fourteen."

2 people like this.
  5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

we can't really help without seeing how you've been using it... you'll need to provide some examples...

6. Radrook

Radrook Banned Contributor

1. were continuously

2. were forever

3. were habitually

4. were always

5. were invariably

6. were eternally

7. Were repeatedly

8. Were perpetually

9. were neverendingly

10. Were obsessively

11. Were persistently

12. Were monotonously

13. Were repetitiously

14. were insistently

15. Were consistently

16. Were pestiferously

17. Were incessantly

18. Were unceasingly

19. Were unendingly

20. Were interminably

21. Were unremitingly

7. The Degenerate

The Degenerate Active Member

There's some good advice in here, but I wouldn't overthink it. I challenge you to open up any novel from your collection and count how many linking verbs the author uses in a single chapter. Let me know what you find.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Radrook, adding adverbs more often compounds problem than creates a solution in cases like this.

9. The_Captain

The_Captain New Member

I wouldn't say so (I didn't take the time to check my novels though), mostly because I've already heard such advice in workshops. Besides that, a less passive sentence seems better from a reader's point of view.