1. teacherayala

teacherayala Contributing Member

Other writing forums...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by teacherayala, May 10, 2011.

So maybe this is a sensitive issue, but I'm going to go ahead and ask. The other day I accidentally typed in www.writingforums.com instead of .org, and it brought up an entirely different website that looks similar in set-up to this one. I took a glance around, but I was just wondering--what is the difference between this site and the other one? What do you generally look for in a forum anyway? Are some of you on other forums than this one?

Just wondering, not that I'm about to jump ship.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

This site was set up by Daniel as a reaction to the unruly, unregulated and often offensive atmosphere of the other one.

But actually, .com has recently come under new ownership and has really improved in that respect. I think there are (or certainly were) members here who were active/semi-active on the other site. I stick my head over occasionally, but I haven't in a while.

3. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

I came across the other site before I came to this one. I chose this over the other based on three factors: there were too many boards (off-putting to a new member), there are advertisements in posts and the combination of layout style × colour scheme feels cold rather than welcoming. It has a cluttered appearance compared to this forum.

I do use other writing forums too, and I have done so since 2005~2006, but they're much smaller and normally have a more specific purpose than here. Most of them are NaNoWriMo spin-offs and other types of writing-related challenges. I come to here too because I think it's important to hear as many opinions as possible when discussing writing whether as a hobby or professionally.

4. LaGs

LaGs Banned

That's weird i typed in .com today forgetting this site was .org :)

It seems far less active than this one though, and the moderation on this site is second to none!

5. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

I did do the same mistake more than once and I finally went inside to investigate.

I didn't agree with the choice of forums and subforums but what turned me away was the base concept of the submissions. After all these are writing forums. The place, method and response of posting is what defines them most.

I've since found several other writing forums, some worse and some better. I've even got the best in my bookmarks. This is the only one I use.

6. teacherayala

Thanks for the history! I can definitely see how well-regulated this site is, and agree that if the forum is supposed to be a place to true support and learning, it has to be specific about how people should participate and in what way.

7. teacherayala

What do you mean by "base concept"? As in, the writers were weak in their skills base, or that the topics were less literary or more blood, guts and sex? Or do you mean something else entirely?

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

I've seen the other one as well.

This is one of the better writing forums around, in my experience. My only qualm is that if you post work for critique, you lose control over your work under the rules of this site. So I don't post for critique here. But apart from that, I haven't found any other site I like better.

9. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

I prefer forum/critique sites that are password protected for those reasons of copyright issues. I'd love to find a forum that is more focused on literary styles and discussions, but haven't really found one that is decent (Zoetrope's online workshop, for instance, is literary and absolutely horrid as a review site and forums). I enjoy any writing-related discussion, of course, but most writing forums I've found are pretty heavily skewed toward commercial/genre fiction, which I don't always get along with from a writing-ideology standpoint. And what makes this forum work so well is the dedicated moderators and high general standards. Keeps it from turning into a cesspool, which is awesome.

10. Daydream

Daydream Contributing Member Contributor

Yeh I actually checked out both while searching for a writers forum and this one caught my attention. I like active and mature forums, but the other one just didnt feel like it offered that. Glad I signed up to this one instead of the other!

11. jwatson

jwatson Active Member

Nothing beats this site. Amazing mods and very knowledgeable members. I have not even been to the other one, I've never been tempted to!

12. Bright Shadow

Bright Shadow Member

I agree with the above poster, this site is one of the better writing forum's I've seen with cool people and good mods.

I was on Absolute Write for awhile until I got kicked off for, I KID YOU NOT, having a thread that said "was Tolkien's world building was great, but his prose was too elaborate" and because I had an opinion that the "Lord of the Rings" was too wordy I got kicked off, my IP address banned etc.

On this site, as long as you respect everyone, you're ok. On Absolute Write, having anything remotely resembling a differing opinion gets in you hot water with the mods.

Rant now over.

13. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributing Member Contributor

I'm actually an admin (was a moderator until literally the last month or so) at another writing forum (fiction post) - it's smaller and more teenagey. I joined it when I was 14 and worked my way up the ranks simply by staying there longest :p It's all protected so a better place for posting work and I get a lot of feedback there, and when I'm not busy I give a lot, opposed to here where I really can't be bothered half the time because if you're quick off the mark the thread usually gets closed, and if you're slow everyone else says everything I meant to anyway. :p I feel a lot more connected to the writing community there, but you can't beat this forum for the knowledge. I feel it's more adult and probably better in that respect, but I like the close knit community of FP - there are some people I met there who are practically family :p Like, one of the girls I met there I'm in her band and we hang out nearly constantly when she's in the country :D

I actually first came over here as research for how other forums do it... Never expected to make more than a half dozen posts, like I did on a ton of other writing forums, but this one stuck and I hang out here as much as FP now. :p

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the other sites i check out daily are critique cirle and the writer's digest forum... neither are anywhere close to as large, heavily-trafficked, or well done/run as this one, but they're ok enough and folks there need help, too, so i do what i can...

i was one of the years-long members of wf.com who happily jumped ship when a fellow respected member who was also disgusted with the bad behavior the admin there allowed to go on started up this one... and have been here contentedly ever since... for all the good reasons mentioned in prior posts...

i was also a well-respected-by-most, years-long member of absolute write and was also banned for life... in my case, simply for having asked the admin to curtail the really bad behavior of a couple of bullies who were cluttering up the place with offensive attacks against myself and fellow members... found out said brats were pals of the site owner, when i got dumped with an abusive 'send-off' from her, too!

funny thing is, that was five years ago and yet i still get mentees coming to me from there, having somehow come across my very, very old posts...

we're extremely fortunate to have top-grade, honorable admin and mods here, on the best set up, best-run site on the net!

three cheers for 'our guys'!

1 person likes this.
  15. Lord Malum

Lord Malum Senior Member

I came across the .com in searching for a writer's forum. I poked around as I did at other ones. It just never felt right to me. Something about the .com was off-putting and I didn't see myself ever visiting it again. Once I found this one I lingered longer than the others and found myself coming back the next day so I registered and now here I am.

16. KillianRussell

KillianRussell Contributing Member

I would love to find a more mainstream less fringe fiction oriented site, I often feel like a fish out of water. I have never read a paragraph of sci-fi, I never saw a page of Tolkien, the only Vampire I dig was Grandpa on the Munsters

17. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Science fiction, fantasy, and paranormal (vampires etc) ARE mainstream these days. They haven't been on the fringe of fiction for quite some time.

18. Knight's Move

Knight's Move Member

I lurked on a couple forums for a while, but I joined this one because it seemed to have the most helpful, insightful, and knowledgeable community of members, as well as the best moderators. I know other people have already said this, but I wanted to reiterate it because I was surprised just how much better this site was than any of the others that I saw.

19. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

I was speaking about the tone of the reviews and replies in general. Instead of "trying to help" some responses felt like "check out how amazing I am".

20. teacherayala

Ah, gotcha. Although I see your point, I'm afraid it's difficult to moderate tone in typing. I myself had an issue with that the other day when I refered to someone as "dear, xyz," and then realized later it sounded incredibly condescending, when it wasn't at all my original intent. I don't mind a little swagger as long as there's no bullying or personal attacks. That's a different thing altogether. After all, when you really think about it, writing is a very competitive exercise. It's only natural for people to get hung up on their writing. I personally alternate between feelings of superiority and feelings of incredible idiocy. lol!

21. psychotick

psychotick Contributing Member Contributor

Hi,

I use two forums, this and science fiction and fantasy forums because as some of you might have guessed my interests lie in that direction. (Incidentally SF and F just got hit by a malware and taken down yesterday, and though my virus checker seems to be up to blocking the malware sites I haven't been game yet to go back and check if its up and running again.)

Anyway I sometimes post bits for critique on both and enjoy seeing the diversity of responses. I think this sites more into the mechanics / art of the writing and SF and F into the subject. Also the other wanders out a bit broader in things and so I don't think on this site you'll see a thread in the lounge with the title - best wizard. (Naturally I had to vote for my own Marjan!).

Also one of the things they do do on SF and F is a seventy five word writing challenge - grief that's fun!

Cheers.

22. SeverinR

SeverinR Contributing Member

This was my second writing forum to join.

There are parts of the first I like, there are parts on this I like.
    My third forum was the most difficult to learn but I have had more reviews there then any other place I have posted.

In two months:
    review tally:
    1st story-3 reviews(and won 2nd place in a contest) genre-military.
    2nd story-7reviews (and third place) genre-fantasy.
    3rd story- 3 reviews genre fantasy.

My reviews on the other two forums: 1

Like I said it was the hardest to get use to, not traditional forum style. I think there are 20 genres to find what your looking for. There is a contest category, there is a reference section. ( Although wading through all the teen stories is annoying. )

I love each sight for different reasons.

23. Masli

Masli Member

What I like about this forum is the high level of professionality. The reviews or answers you get are of a high quality that really helps you to improve. This is something that I haven't found anywhere else.

A thing I can't help but find a bit disappointing here is that when you put a story up for review, you should be glad if you receive a couple of responses. Most really helpful and of high quality, but still not very diverse in opinions. On other sites you often get a lot more replies, giving the writer a broader sense of wether or not people like the story or not.