1. Corgz

Corgz Senior Member

out of story ideas!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Corgz, Jan 16, 2012.

This rarely happens to me, but im out of story ideas... My last idea was an epic fail obviously.. or people just didn't understand it...

Do you ever find it hard to come up with story ideas?
    Any story ideas you could share? i like writing sci-fi but not about space or aliens...

2. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

Since it takes quite some time for me to write a novel lenght story of my ideas I don't think I'll run short of them any time soon. I have one written, one in the revision stage, one barely started and yet another idea that I have only outlined yet. Plus I have one vague idea but I don't think it would ever make an entire novel, so I might skip that one. I think one year to finish each novel of these is not an exageration, so I'll be busy the next three years or so, and I'm pretty sure I'll come up with new ones during that time :)
    I don't sit down and try to come up with them, they usually knock on my door and present themselves ;)

3. Nicholas C.

Nicholas C. Active Member

Try to find who or what intrigues you, creatively, and draw from that. Do you like to, for example, watch specials on Discovery or Nat Geo? Don't be afraid to borrow ideas from them and put your own spin on things. I'm not ashamed to admit that at least half of my story ideas have been inspired from something else I've seen or read.

4. cari_za

cari_za Member

When I'm low on inspiration I listen to music, and usually browse deviant art at the same time. Sometimes just the right song and the right visual image stimulates my imagination enough to spark a really interesting story concept. I have a huge folder of amazing images that I have collected over the years, and I like to peruse through them.

I agree with Nicholas C. you need to find your muse. So hunt around a bit. Try different suggestions, hopefully a lot of people will share their advice with you and that will give you some ideas on how to get ideas ;)

If that fails try reading through the 36 plots and see if any strike your fancy to dabble with till you find your inspiration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thirty-Six_Dramatic_Situations

5. Kallithrix

Kallithrix Banned

My stories often come about from daydreams I cook up when I'm bored - I'll sit there on a train and fantasise away, and before you know it i've got a really cool idea for a character or a scene, and it just keeps drawing more and more ideas into it until it starts to resemble a story. I hardly ever, if at all, think of a story concept and then create characters and a setting to play it out. Characters always come first, then setting (sometimes those two are inextricably linked), then story.

So what kind of characters interest you? Sometimes I come up with a character by wishing I had a different job, which makes me wonder what it would be like to be something like a zoologist or a celebrity's PA - or a space pirate, haha. Then my mind wanders into the various scenarios I might encounter...

Or ask yourself 'what if...?' questions - or 'would you rather...?' questions. Questions questions questions...

1 person likes this.
  6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

When I loose inspiration, I often find it again watching a show I like (Dragon Ball Z for instance), or playing a videogame (Skyrim), or just doing mundane problems.

A few nights ago, I was inspired to write a vampire hunter story while raking the leaves in my yard. What happened? Rake broke and the end I was holding resembled a overly-long stake. My imagination went wild and there you have it.

Write down insane, silly plots that strike your fancy. Don't be afraid to borrow from other creations; don't be afraid to be as senseless as humanly possible. You could write down a plot like,

A story about a fuzzy brown llama that wears a red bowtie and is accompanied by a young elf boy with spikey yellow hair and a green tunic who also wears purple wristbands. Oh, and the llama can fly and is the boy's sole means of transport. The boy can shoot magical spells from his hands ala Dragon Ball Z. Oh, and he lives in a realm of elves, dwarves and humanoid animals. He's also part-dwarf which explains his short, stocky apperance yet long pointy ears.

Keep it safe in a file somewhere with all the other weird story plots.

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Here's one: Cybernuns!
    You can have that one for free. :)

Seriously, I have a file full of ideas, 90% of which I will never write. Not because I don't have time, but because in the cold light of morning (and sobriety), they don't look as good as they did when I came up with them.

I sometimes generate new ideas by looking at books of photographs, or old National Geographic magazines. You see a wide variety of people in a wide variety of different cultures and situations. I don't read the captions or the articles. I just look at the picture and imagine who that person is, what they might be like, and soon, my imagination builds a story for them. Or at least, the beginning of a story - something I can work on.

8. Corgz

Corgz Senior Member

Thats ridiculous... but alas, i have found a perfect idea that deals with canibalism and volcanos.....

9. AmyHolt

AmyHolt Contributing Member

I think having time to be bored is the greatest sorce of inspiration avavilable. Only boring peole get bored, the rest of us think up something to do. And if you're a writer that something often includes watching someone elses life unfold in your mind.

10. Evans

Evans New Member

I think writing requires a visit from the Muse, and the Muse has her own schedule and her own agenda. You will know when she arrives.

Evans

11. jonsnana

jonsnana Member

I sit and write "what if" questions. Ex. What if I took two friends from this century and placed them on planet where customs were similar to those of ancient far east. The more questions generated the sooner an idea hits and since you are already writing...