1. Passero

Passero Member

Outline for a short story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Passero, Mar 10, 2014.

Are there any good resources that explain how to write a proper outline for a short story?

I always have difficulties in writing a story from beginning to end. I come up with some characters and conflict but always leaves me hanging.

I discussed this in our writing group and they told me I should write an outline before actually writing the story. I have to admit, I never have done this before so probably could use some help in writing a proper outline.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there's no such thing as a 'proper' outline for writing fiction... there's only whatever form works for each writer...

but most writers don't need to outline their short stories, so your writing group advisors are wrong in saying you 'should' write one...

3. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I agree with Maia; there's no need to outline a short story. You should have a clear idea of how the beginning, middle, and end should be written, including its content, as it's such a short piece. However, a short story can be up to 10,000 words, so in this case I believe an outline isn't out of the question. But as I say, if your story is less than 5,000 words, then mull it over in your head for a while, make sure you're prepared, and then bang it out (in the nicest possible way). :)