1. Forgetmenot77

Forgetmenot77 Member

ending?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Forgetmenot77, Jan 31, 2009.

I know how to start a story and put middle in it but to end?? Having some trouble with it...

2. JGC137

JGC137 New Member

What is it your having a problem with exactly?

3. othman

othman New Member

Yeah, more info, please ... going info-less I would recommend reading a lot of books that are in the same genre + age group as your story, and try to give us a rough idea of what you're aiming for.

4. kyle777

kyle777 Member

The ending is actually one of the funnest parts of a book to plan. It's where all your plot lines, all your character culminate in a climactic scene. Although, I'll admit. The initial prospect of creating THE perfect ending can be really daunting.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The big problem people have is they make detailed plans of the beginning and middle, but then have now idea how to end a story. Is that the problem?

6. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Reflect. What are you trying to say with your writing? What needs to be said here that hasnt been said previously (or needs reiterating)? What loose ends need to be tied up? Think of what needs to go into your ending, and then simply write it. Dont worry. It doesnt need to be perfect on the first go! You just need a starting point.

Have you ever considered writing the ending before any other scene? Sometimes I find it as a motivator and good direction; I'll write the ending (point B) and then go back to point A, so I always know where my destination is, though I can be free to choose the path I take to get there. :)

7. Forgetmenot77

Forgetmenot77 Member

ending..

I think you are have a point there maybe if I have so much trouble with the ending of a story maybe I should try to write it first. I can go on forever with a story but to end? I do have a problem with it...I remember when I used to write and I could end it so easily...what happened to me?? Sorry....pausing for self reflection. Thanks for being there guys.

8. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

This might not help much as it's rather general, but the way I figure it the ending comes when the characters have nothing more to say, and any attempts to continue on - even if you're really passionate about a further event etc - will undermine the effect of the piece as a whole.

I suggest, as you have said, writing down what you have thus far - examine the characters and get to know them. They're likely to lead you in particular directions themselves - or at least, hopefully, continue to inspire ideas - once you reach the point of what you have down so far. It's quite possible the ending will announce itself when you get to it. (That's usually what I do, anyway).

9. architectus

architectus Banned

Bring the conflicts to a close, the end.

10. Jack

Jack New Member

You could possibly check out the "Character Development" and "Plot Creation" forums for help. I am sure that you'll find some of your solutions to your problems there.

11. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Not sure how much help this is going to be, but I typically see the end as the point at which the conflict around which the story was based is over with. After that, their is nothing really driving the plot and the story is pretty much over. If your story was based around a manhunt, the story would end when the man is caught as there would be nothing more driving the story. Hope this helps!

12. fulfilling_prophecies

fulfilling_prophecies New Member

I usually come up with the ending first and build from there. Sometimes, only the middle part of the story would come to me, and then I'll have to ask where is this character going, where did it come from?

The ending is suppose to answer the question you posed at the beginning of the story. What kind of stakes did the character have? What was the question? How was it answered? What did the character learn? Did the character learn anything?

I would reread your story again, then from there ask yourself those questions. How do you want it all to end? I know for me, sometimes, I love the story and the characters too much that I don't want to end it. Maybe the problems you have might be too many plots or twists. Maybe the characters aren't developed enough or over developed.

13. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I often end up doing that. In fact, the ending to the novel I am working on came to me in rough form before I even knew it would inspire me to write a novel. :D