1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Don't know which place to use

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Marcelo, Aug 23, 2008.

Ok, so I've developing a murder-fantasy mystery. I want it to have place in a small British town, but the problem is I don't know any. And also one where people are superstitious about fairies and that stuff. This'll be my first 'contemporary fantasy' (I've always invented my own settings), so I'm not sure what place to use. Any help guys?

2. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

British or English?
    (Sorry, standard question, Americans or anyone who's around Americans a lot usually uses them interchangeably.)
    Being two different places...they have different answers. Obviously.

3. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

Actually, (not intending to derail this topic but) I've heard both that there is no such thing as a "Brit" and/or that "British" is the collective term for some from the U.K. in general.

As such I typically play it safe and only refer to folk as specifically English/Welsh/Irish/Scottish but I've always wondered ...

4. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Don't worry Lucy, I meant Britain in general, not England. That's because... Well, the Folklore in all of those regions attracts my attention. But I'm not planning on it taking place in Wales, since I need to learn Welsh first (I don't really need to, but I prefer to do a job well done :)). So... What do you think, Scottland or England? Oh, and by the way, by American do you mean a person from the U.S. or the whole continent? It is a mistake many people do.

5. dazbizkit

dazbizkit Member

You could make up a town, then you won't be tied down with the facts of those particluar villages or towns.

But! I just done a little bit of googling and found this website, i hope it helps.

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/folklore/folklore.html

I'm currently writing a story, based in the US, but so I can run wild with my imagination I've made up the city. This way someone won't be able to prove me wrong when i fail to get the facts correct because it would be my world. And, not to mention, it's a bit more fun :)

6. Sophronia

Sophronia New Member

You could definitely do some book and/or internet research on some British towns/cities and see if any have any folklore/legends tied into them. If you were to make up your own town, you could localize those tales with any surrounding towns/cities (did that make any sense?? XD)

Hope I helped.

7. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Edit: never mind