1. Scared_to_bleat

Scared_to_bleat New Member

Outside influences improving your work ethic.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Scared_to_bleat, Jan 9, 2013.

Okay, so I would dare to venture that a number of you aren't aware of me at this moment in time, I was active for a short time just after I joined the forums and then got swept up by college and the new job I had just started causing me to stop posting for a while. Now however I am back and determined to become active in this community and in aid of that I have come up with this thread.

The question: Has an outside force ever passively influenced you positively in terms of your work ethic towards writing? I noticed that after I started my new job in a local nightclub/restaurant that I have become much more motivated, a good deal less lethargic and a greater deal less lazy. So please share your experiences so that we may all expand our minds on the topic.

2. midnight candle

midnight candle Member

having a shitty job makes me much more creative - it keeps my mind active and gives me the will to succeed and get the hell out!

3. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

Yes, having friends that know I'm a writer and always encouraging has boosted my morale a ton. The reverse is true and unfortunately I experienced that at one point in my life.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

For some reason, I'm always strongly motivated to do something different from what I'm supposed to be doing. When I was in university, with all my time taken up by engineering courses, lab work, and studying for exams, I spent far too much time writing music. I hated doing my schoolwork, so I did something that felt more creative.

When I got a job, I'd get to the office early every day and spend the first hours - before anyone else showed up - working on my novel. Forget work; writing was more important.

Now I have a ton of time to write, and I find it much harder to get motivated. Nothing else is breathing down my neck. There's nothing important that I feel like I have to avoid in order to write. So my production has dropped. This has been a problem for me since I started.

5. radnommandess

radnommandess Member

For me it's walking in the hills. Especially if i have lot's of ideas and no idea how to frame them. I don't take a notepad though because I find that just doesn't work for me in that situation. Though I do have one with me most of the time for jotting down ideas. Only when I'm trying to work out how to frame those ideas it is best I have no way of taking notes and a damm good view.

6. Talmay

Talmay Member

I can't force myself to concentrate wholly on a single thing, so work eliminates that problem for me. My work environment is chaotic and I can't sit still for a single minute so my brain is in overdrive eight hours a day. It's exhausting, sure, but worth it.