Outside of writing, what's your hobby?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by VirtuallyRealistic, May 12, 2015.

1. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Well aren't ya just mr. sunshine. I too, enjoy drinking tea and reading books, but I don't usually like death metal.
    I sing, play a little bit of guitar, bake, and like spending time outdoors. I have bad knees and am not much of a sports person anyway, but I try to workout regularly to not become completely obese. Sometimes I draw or make something crafty, but lately I don't have much of a life due to school. :p

2. uncephalized

uncephalized Active Member

I've been toying with a similar concept. I'm trying to apply it to a game engine in WebGL (haven't put enough time into it yet to know if I'm getting anywhere). I'd like to be able to develop a voxel-based environment where the space is divided into nesting sets of 3D cubes, and then each cube's contents are generated procedurally in-game according to the level of detail required.

What language is that? Following you so far...

It's been a while since I did much with vectors. n1 and n3 are position vectors taking the form specified above, yes? Why would you be multiplying them together, exactly? I would think it would be mostly addition and subtraction when you're working with position in a Cartesian coordinate system. What am I missing?

Isn't a signed int just the same thing as an unsigned int with a sign bit? I don't understand what the difference would be.

3. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

This reminds me of the datastructure I used to develop a 3D Rubik's cube app at uni. 3rd year comp sci project subject you could do if you found a project and a supervisor. No exam. Did it in the 2 week's swot vac we had. Still procrastinating to this day.

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Gardening and vegetable gardening. (There are ways that they feel like two different hobbies.) Sewing. Collecting perfume. I've been looking at adding plant breeding to the gardening, if I could just identify the right project.

jannert likes this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Do you mean vegetable or flower breeding? That sounds really interesting. Maybe you get some kind of new plant ...hopefully one that can reproduce true via seed?

I was just surveying my garden yesterday, and noticing the plants which have 'reverted' to the main colour type of the variety. For example, nearly all my oriental poppies are now poppy red, even though when I planted them, and the first year or two I had them, they were all sorts of colours. All my white ones have reverted to red, ditto my orange one, and my deep pink ones are sliding that way as well. I'm still waiting for "Patty's Plum" to flower this year, so hopefully that one isn't also red. The only ones that have stayed true to type are the pale salmon-pink ones. And I got those from several sources. Strange.

My snapdragons have seeded themselves around, but every new seedling is a strange maroon/white flower combo. I had yellow, orange, various reds ...nothing of this combination was knowingly planted. Now ...they are everywhere, and that colour only!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  6. ChickenFreak

I'm thinking vegetable breeding, though either might be fun. I've been trying to think of a crop that's (1) edible and (2) vegetatively propagated and for which (3) I want something that doesn't currently exist. I say "vegetatively propagated" because that way, if I come up with what I want I can keep it going indefinitely without it changing like your Oriental poppies. Except a lot of the vegetatively propagated crops don't produce seed, or at least not much seed, and I can't do crosses if it won't create any seed at all. I should really just embrace the work of trying to breed something that comes true from seed.

Hmm. Oriental poppies are supposed to come back from their roots, so that's confusing. Maybe the primary plant dumped seeds on the ground and the resulting plants swamped the original plant? Maybe the salmon color (edited: and the red color) is a dominant gene and white and orange and deep pink are recessive? I'm all curious now.

The snapdragons don't puzzle me as much; I assume that the maroon/white color is a dominant characteristic, so that a few years of cross-breeding caused the other, recessive, colors to be drowned out. Oh, or that the originals were a hybrid, so that there was never any assurance of coming true from seed.

Hmm.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    jannert likes this.
  7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yeah, I agree about the snapdragons—and these are much more vigorous than the originals I planted, so I'm pretty convinced they're a stable variety. But no, the poppy plants are the original plants. They're big plants, and remain more or less evergreen. I cut them back after flowering, and they immediately begin producing leaves for the next year, and the leaves remain over winter. One year the flowers are white or pink or purplish, the next year ...red. I now have about 7 stands of bright red poppies, when I started with only 3. The effect is ...er ...striking? Fortunately my favourites are the salmon pink ones, so so far, so good. None of them have reverted. But I'd just about kill for a white one that doesn't revert. Any suggestions as to variety?

By the way, I don't allow my poppies to develop seed. So this isn't even possible. I cut the heads off once the flowers have finished, so it doesn't weaken the plants setting seed. I've considered leaving the heads to develop for goldfinch food, but I don't want to have to replace tired plants every couple of years. Easier to feed the goldfinches niger seed!

8. ChickenFreak

Oh, that's just so weird. (I can't suggest a variety; I haven't grown white.) If it were about them reseeding, I'd suggest that you grow the white ones away from any others and be religious about cutting the flowers before they set seed. But if it's the original plant.... thinking... thinking...

Thinking....

Failing...

It's just not supposed to work that way. If it happened only once I'd suggest that it's a mutation, but not when it happens repeatedly. I also find myself thinking about the way that some types of hydrangea are either pink or blue depending on soil acidity, but I've never heard of Oriental poppies doing any such thing. I also find myself thinking of the way that nursery plants so often have more than one plant per six-pack "spot", and wondering if whoever planted your Oriental poppies did that, but that would mean that they mixed red seed into every single batch, and that the reds always waited a year to appear, and that the original colors always gave way to the whites, and... that doesn't make sense, does it?

If you have a friend that has a clump of them that reliably reproduce in white, I'd suggest that you beg them for root cuttings. That seems to be all I've got.

jannert likes this.
  9. Kaelen

Kaelen New Member

Outside of writing, you will often find me scrolling through Tumblr. I've been a blogger on Tumblr for years and have been running my current blog for around two years. I like to make graphics/gifs on photoshop and then post them on Tumblr. I've gotten pretty good at it. The most notes I've ever gotten something I made was over 46k which was insane.

I also play a lot of video games. My favorite games to play are RPGs like Skyrim, Fable, Fallout, Dragon Age, etc. Sadly, I haven't been able to play those games lately because the disc drive broke in my XBOX 360 and 360 games don't work on the XBOX One (screw you, Microsoft).

I also consider drinking tea/coffee a hobby.

10. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

I write and record albums for my own amusement, vocals, guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, harmonica, Kaoos pad, sound effects, etc etc, all self taught bar the drum kit. I also, although not as often as I would like, paint.

minstrel likes this.