1. trailer trash

trailer trash New Member

Posting your screenplay

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by trailer trash, Dec 17, 2007.

Those of you who don’t want to jump through hoops to get your screenplay posted in the standard format may simply want to create an attachment. This way no formatting will be lost in transition.

Thanks for the opportunity to post,

Trailer Trash

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

trouble with that, tt, is that many [maybe even most?] of us don't like having to go elsewhere to read and critique something... besides, the only format element that's changed in posting is the dialog, which shows up at the left margin, instead of being indented... that's not such a major problem, since we're used to seeing it that way in posts...

and nothing more than a short excerpt should ever be provided... one must never post an entire script, which i'm sure you know, but can't be repeated too often, for newbies' benefit...

hugs, m

3. trailer trash

trailer trash New Member

You’re spot on with this one.

mammamia,

You’re spot on with this one. Let me expand just a little by adding that any serious writer looking for feedback on their story or screenplay should never post it in its entirety if they are subsequently looking to submit it for publication.

There are many reasons for this. First, publishers may not touch a story or screenplay if it has been posted in it entirety. Most publishers want at least first North American Rights as-well-as electronic rights. So doing this may diminish your chances of getting your story published in the mainstream publishing industry.

What I intended to say, and I stand corrected, is that if you want to post an excerpt of your work you can do so in an attachment so as not to lose any of the formatting, that is if you are having trouble maintaining your formatting when posting.

I have noticed that many members are having trouble with formatting their work. I don’t know exactly why, as many will never offer an explanation. The advanced posting features of this forum works very well. And I have had very little trouble cutting and pasting into that section.

You have raised several issues that deserve much more attention and explanation. Perhaps you can start or expand on an existing thread dealing with this problem.

Trailer Trash

PS: In the future I am going to post a thread about a well known forum that IMO tricks you into forfeiting many if not all of your publishing rights when posting on their forum.

So, from the very first post that you make you will no longer have any legal rights to that particular post beyond that contained in their TOS statement. You may know who I am talking about? But, for now I just don’t have the time to go into it. I am working on my blog right now.

4. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Let it be noted that I am eagerly awaiting to hear more about this issue.

5. trailer trash

trailer trash New Member

I want forget ....

bluemouth,

Yes, it is true! I'll try and get the post up tonight sometime. But, I am sure you'll recognize it right away. Anyway, it always helps to read the fine print when signing up for the writing forums.

Trailer Trash

6. trailer trash

trailer trash New Member

You'll have to judge for yourself ....

bluemouth,

Here it is. You tell me? You will have to draw your own conclusions about this forum and its policies concerning posting. What follows is the name of the website (writers forum) and their Terms Of Use Statement or (TOS) statement.

Trailer Trash
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: Emphasis mine: ***

Please read the following terms and conditions carefully.

*** IMPORTANT: Please note that you ("the Contributor") cannot submit any material to us ("ABCtales.com") without accepting these terms and conditions.

1. GENERAL

These terms and conditions set out the terms upon which the Contributor submits written material ("the Work" which term includes all drafts and revisions thereof) to ABCtales.com.

2. LICENCE

(a) The Contributor licenses to ABCtales.com the following rights ("the Rights"):

*** (i) the right to publish the Work on the ABCtales.com website ("the Website" which term includes all future versions of the ABC website in whatever format such website is produced);

*** (ii) the right to publish the Work in print publications produced by ABCtales.com ("the Publications") in any and all media provided that ABCtales.com pays the Contributor in accordance with Clause 3 below;

*** (iii) the right to edit the Work for the purposes of publishing the Work on the Website and/or in the Publications.

*** (b) This licence of Rights shall be for a term of 5 years from the date that the Work is submitted to ABCtales.com and shall be non-exclusive except in circumstances where ABCtales.com.pays the Contributor in respect of the Work in which case this licence shall be exclusive for a period of one year from the date of first publication of the Work by ABCtales.com and shall be non-exclusive thereafter.

(c) The Contributor waives (and to the extent that the Contributor is not the author of the Work procures that such author shall waive) all moral rights and all other rights described in Chapter IV of Part 1 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to the extent necessary to allow ABCtales.com to fully exercise the Rights.

(d) ABCtales.com gives no assurance that it will publish the Work and to the extent that it does publish the Work, ABCtales.com reserves the right to remove the Work from the Website and/or the Publications at its discretion.

3. PAYMENT

The Contributor acknowledges that the Contributor shall only receive payment from ABCtales.com if ABCtales.com publishes the Work in the Publications, the amount of such payment to be negotiated in good faith.

4. WARRANTIES

(a) The Contributor warrants and undertakes that:

(i) the Contributor owns the copyright in the Work;

(ii) the Work does not contain any material the rights in which are owned by a third party ("Third Party Material") and to the extent that it does the Contributor shall immediately provide ABCtales.com with details of such Third Party Material and the Contributor shall at its own expense arrange all necessary clearances in respect of such Third Party Material;

*** (iii) the Contributor is free to license the Rights to ABCtales.com and will not during the term of this licence enter into any obligation with any third party which conflicts with the terms and conditions of this licence;

(iv) the Work does not contain any libellous or defamatory statement or matter infringing the rights of any third party;

(v) there are no claims pending proceeding or threatened in respect of the Work.

*** (b) The Contributor agrees to indemnify ABCtales.com (and its employees and any affiliated companies) against any and all costs, damages and losses (including legal fees incurred and any compensation paid by ABCtales.com) as a result of any actual or alleged breach of the warranties and representations made by the Contributor in these terms and conditions.

5. CREDIT

ABCtales.com shall endeavour to accord the Contributor an appropriate credit should the Work be published by ABCtales.com.

6. UNSUITABLE MATERIAL

ABCtales.com reserves the right not to publish or to withdraw from publication (to the extent already published by ABCtales.com) any material submitted by the Contributor which in its absolute discretion ABCtales.com believes to be unsuitable for publication.

7. REVIEWS

The Contributor acknowledges that a Work submitted to ABCtales.com will be subject to criticism and review both by ABCtales.com on the Website and/or in the Publications and by users of the Website and/or readers of the Publications. ABCtales.com reserves the right to publish any criticism and review of the Work at its discretion and cannot guarantee that such criticism or review will be constructive. If the Contributor is likely to take offence at certain criticism or review ABCtales.com suggest that the Contributor should not submit the Work to ABCtales.com.

8. LAW

These terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any dispute arising under these terms and conditions will be dealt with non-exclusively by the English courts.

7. mammamaia

i'd be glad to, if you'd tell me which issues you're referring to... hugs, m

8. trailer trash

trailer trash New Member

I have not forgotten your last post.

mammamia,

I have not forgotten your last post. I'll answer tonight I hope. Thanks for your patience.

Trailer Trash

9. mammamaia

glad to see you're still among the living/posting, tt! :)

i await your post with bated breath [and not only because i haven't brushed my teeth yet, this am :p ]...

hugs, m

10. trailer trash

trailer trash New Member

Another good thread would be ....

Mammamia,

Well a good definitive thread that puts and end to the issue of proper formatting regarding all of the following:
    • Short Stories
    • Novel Excerpts
    • Poetry
    • Screenplays
    Another good thread would be why you should never post and an entire:
    • Short Story
    • Novel
    • Poem
    • Screenplay
    on a forum, or any other part of the net.

Trailer Trash

11. mammamaia

i think the latter issue is well-covered in a sticky here and there, as well as the site general info...

and as for the former, i've supplied links to good format guides in the appropriate places more than once... they are probably in other stickies... one i know has a poetry/short story/novel ms format guide link is 'writing resource links' in the 'general writing' section... it links bill shunn's great format guides on his site, which is what i send to all my mentees...

i agree that a sticky is needed for screenplays, since there is none at present... i'll be glad to do one up, containing all the info i've doled out piecemeal for as long as i've been helping budding screenwriters and will just hope the admin may see fit to sticky it... i'll get to work on it now... thanks for the suggestion...

love and hugs, maia

12. mammamaia

just posted... see if that's what you had in mind... any suggestions for additions/etc. will be appreciate... hugs, m