1. bobodo

bobodo New Member

please help

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by bobodo, Sep 4, 2009.

hi i am trying to write a story which is about a war,this is what im thinking of doing a war story about a man who signs up with the army, his wife is sad so he regrets it but is forced to fight in another country. during his time in the war he recieves various letters from her and he writes back too. toward the end he recieves a letter that his wife is pregant with his baby. the last letter he recieves is late into the pregnancy and the gender of the child is known. he dies hours later in a gun fight on the exact day the war ends in a treaty. the woman then commits suicide along with the unborn baby by jumping off a building. the story ends happily as people celebrate on the streets about the treaty while her bloody body lies on the ground below them

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

So what's the question?

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Ok. You have a storyline. So now your task is to sit down and write it as a full story.

We can't do that for you. If you look around the site, you will undoubtedly find some ideas to help you develop your characters and story.

4. bobodo

bobodo New Member

oh right the question is how should i start my opening up,i just need a starter thats all

5. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

How serious are you really about writing a story novel sized any size if you can't write the beginning? You could at least start from a place you feel okay about and figure the beginning out later, right?

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That's also a decision you have to make. You could start it when he decides to enlist, or when he's shipped off to combat, or even after he dies. And you can change your mind anytime during the writing process.

The important thing is to start writing. You can rearrange it later.

EDIT: Speedy, he never said it was a novel.

7. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

The first step is to put your fingers on the keyboard.

No, seriously.

Start with a hook. Decide what (hopefully dramatic) scene you want to start with, and then, write a really dramatic line to make the reader say, "I want to read what comes next!"

Then, keep going.

Charlie

Edit: One more piece of advice.

Read. A lot.

It will help with your command of language, giving you greater ability to write.

8. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Just gotta jump in and do it. You'll figure out what you need to do as you go, and from comments others give you, should you give it to others to read.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

how can you see that as a happy ending???

as for a beginning, if you really want to be a writer, you have to come up with the ideas and the writing yourself, not ask others to do it for you...

10. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Sounds like a bittersweet ending to me.

11. Psychopath toaster

Psychopath toaster New Member

I think that was the whole point of his story, the constrast between the people happy about the end of the war, and the death of that woman along with the unborn baby, showing the cruelty of this world, the absurdity (But I might have interpreted that wrong :) )

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that could have been the point, but the commonly accepted 'happy ending' doesn't usually include such a sad event...

so, 'bittersweet' is closer than 'happy'... or, as i would more likely label it, 'ironic'...