1. Forbidden

Forbidden New Member

Corn's [little known] Influence on USA

Discussion in 'Research' started by Forbidden, Aug 29, 2010.

I am currently thinking of a plot involving a virus being genetically modified into corn, and from there into the general population;

I've recently been told that corn is in nearly EVERYTHING we eat, as corn is very cost-effective so it goes in:
    -fertilizers
    -animal feed
    -hihg-fructose corn syrup
    -corn flour
    -thickener
    -etc.

So, does anyone here know anything more about corn's impact, and if so, the plausibility of genetic modification?

Thanks.

2. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

Genetic modification is VERY common in crop plants. In fact, virtually every piece of produce you can buy has been genetically modified in some fashion. Probably not as complicated as the genetic modification that you are talking about, but it is not inconceivable.

I suppose the general population isn't aware of maize's influence on the US food industries. But due to the fact that maize is referred to as corn in the US should give an indication on how important it is to the country. The term "corn" is generic name for a cereal plant in that country. Maize is referred to as corn in the US, Canada, and Australia. Other countries may say "corn" and refer to wheat or barely.

Unfortunately, the price of corn has been on the rise the past few years. From what I remember of my crop science courses in college, corn is now being used for oils to ease our dependence on foreign oils. As such, a lot of farmer's aren't feeding their animals corn anymore as the price is too much compared to other options on the market.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Currently, corn products from the United States are not permitted in many European countries unless fully certified to originate entirely from farms that do not use genetically engineered corn. This affects a wide range or products, because of common food additives like high fructose corn syrup, corn sugar, and corn oil.

Whenever there are tight import/export restrictions like this, there is a potential for big money crime - smuggling or payoffs to get prohibited product to a wider market.

If you wish to write some international intrigue, this should be food for thought.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

have you googled?

you'll find all you never knew you needed to know about corn and it's influence there...