1. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

Bug Report Having a hard time loading newest posts.

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Elven Candy, Sep 20, 2016.

This problem started back in early July and has persisted and gotten worse. It's so bad now that I have to use another browser to load pages just so I can read the replies (I copy/paste the URL for the individual threads). If I want to reply to the newest replies, I have to reload pages on my main browser (Internet Explorer) several times and hope I can get the newest replies to load. If I copy the URL, exit the entire Internet, reopen it, and paste/go the URL, I can see the newest replies, but that's very nearly the only way I can anymore in IE. I'm actually afraid to login to my account on the other browser to test it because I don't know if I'll ever be able to see the new replies if the other browser develops this problem.

I almost dread getting an e-mail or alert telling me there's been a reply because then I have to fight to try to read them. PLEASE try to solve this!

P. S. I tried clearing my cache and cookies back in July. It cleared some other problems and this one, but this one started up again within a day (just once or twice; I thought it was no biggy) and has gotten worse every day since. I didn't have this problem before July or the end of June. I don't remember exactly when, but I posted on the Minor Bug Report thread within a week or two, so I know it was late June/early July. My computer, browser included, have been updated since then, so I know it's not that.

2. Nightstar99

Nightstar99 Senior Member

Yeah, the same. Forum is almost unusable, on multiple devices and browsers, in both the UK and US, so far.

I had to F5 this six times to even read it.

3. Elven Candy

Yikes! It makes me feel both better and worse that it isn't just me. I certainly can make the forum frustrating to use.

4. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Sorry for not replying earlier; I've been kinda busy the past week.

I'll see if I can look into this a bit more when I get back home (am at a research station doing some field studies at the moment). I haven't really come across something like this before, so it will probably take a little digging.
    Things definitely should not be this way. :(

Elven Candy likes this.
  5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I've had the site hanging or freezing at times trying to read new posts. Fixed by closing the tab and relaunching the site. This was on Firefox I think. Happened off and on for about the past week or so.

6. Elven Candy

Thank you Komposten! I hope you can find the issue.

7. Steerpike

Sporadic issue, but I've noticed it again today FWIW.

8. Steerpike

It has been particularly bad the last hour or so. Am I the only one this is still happening to? What makes me special (other than my charm)?

9. Elven Candy

The website doesn't hang or freeze on me, but I also use a different browser. I have no idea what might be causing it, but does it only happen for Writingforums? I used to have websites do that when my antivirus program did something funky.

10. Steerpike

Only happening to this site for me, and it is in Firefox. I can try another browser.

11. Steerpike

Switched from Firefox to Brave. Does seem a bit more responsive, thought the cursor did spin for a while when I was trying to load the list of forums on the home page. New posts and replies are working better.

12. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Is this a constant problem, or does it come and go in waves? (I.e. if we think we have a fix for it, would you be able to tell immediately?)

13. Steerpike

It is intermittent, but at times it will persist for a few hours. May be something on my end, which I am looking into.

14. Nightstar99

Nightstar99 Senior Member

I am back in the UK, its just as bad as ever.

Live notifications on the top right either do nothing or just take you back to the forum index page 9 times out of 10.

Clicking on a board page may work, but about half the time there is just a blank page and I need to f5 several times. When it does load its like dial up.

This is on ioS, Safari, iPad, Android phones, and two different PCs on various different networks using Chrome, in different countries.

15. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Just for clarification sake:

The core issue here is that though the site loads, when you get a email notification or a on-site notification of a new post, you go to the thread and you're unable to see the new post - but the old thread still loads. Is this correct? Secondarily, the site intermittently "hangs" when loading, regardless of what page you're trying to access.

We're looking into this issue and will get to the bottom of it. The biggest problem here is that I'm not experiencing it myself and haven't been able to recreate it yet, which will make diagnosing it difficult.

16. Steerpike

For me, it's more hanging. When I mouse over Alerts, for example, the loading icon display and just stays there, or when I click on New Posts under What's New, the site hangs. I haven't noticed the issue today, however. I'm on MacOS using Firefox. It seems to me it happens when I'm on Win 10 and Firefox, but I'll try to track that better.

17. Daniel

I've disabled our site's caching mechanism, which could be the cause of the issue. If you constantly/regularly experience this problem it seems to be fixed, please let me know in this thread.

18. Elven Candy

For me, the issue isn't the website hanging, but my ability to load new posts. The old ones load fine, but the new ones I often can't see (even my own), especially if they're in threads I've posted on. I haven't had this issue with the few threads I've checked tonight, so maybe you've fixed the problem. I'll let you know if it does or doesn't come up again.

Daniel likes this.
  19. Steerpike

Back checking Firefox in Windows 10, and it has gotten bad again. Seems to get worse the longer the browser is open. But this doesn't appear to be affecting a lot of people, so there may well be something on my end that's the problem.

20. Elven Candy

I'm sorry you're still having trouble Steerpike! Hope you can find the problem.

@Daniel: It's only been a couple days, but I haven't had any trouble since you disabled the site's caching mechanism (so nice!). Would you like me to update you again in a few days?

Komposten likes this.
  21. Steerpike

No problem. I'm using Mac today. Sure it's my Windows machine.

22. Steerpike

It has to be my Windows 10/Firefox combination. I am using it right now, and next to me is my MacBook. The site works great on my MacBook, but is very slow in Windows, and sometimes not all of the page loads. I have an adblocker in my Windows version of Firefox, but I keep it disabled for this site. I wonder if it could nevertheless be causing issues? I cleared out the cache &c for Firefox, and that didn't help.

23. Elven Candy

Just thought I'd pop by and say I haven't had any trouble since my last post, so the problem is definitely resolved. It's so nice to be able to use the website properly and see the newest posts without issue!

Komposten likes this.
  24. Daniel

Great to hear.

Aside from Steerpike, is anyone else experiencing similar issues? If not I'll consider this case closed.