1. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee The writer formerly known as Chained. Contributor

Pages of nothing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Mumble Bee, Sep 2, 2015.

I can't tell you how many times I've started writing a book only to quit a few weeks later swearing off the written language. For once though my determination to finish isn't deteriorating.

Now my problem isn't that I won't produce, it's that I just can't. I have about 19 pages of snippets, parts of the story I want to happen, and that individually seem very solid to me, but bringing the story together as a cohesive unit seems equal parts impossible/improbable/unreasonable.

I tried an outline but that did little good. I tried just producing more and more, fleshing out characters in hopes that the uninteresting 'in-between' parts would write themselves, but that was no good either.

Anyone else ever in the same boat? If so, what did you do?

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

What's the core idea? I've written disjointed before but never without an idea about the story or characters.

Tesoro and Mumble Bee like this.
  3. nastyjman

nastyjman Contributing Member

If you get stuck, open up a text file or get a notebook. Once you have it, write down what's bothering you, write down what you want to do on that particular scene, write what's in your mind and try to converse with yourself, find a solution to your story.

This is what I did on my very first draft on my novel. I discovery wrote it, which means I did not have an outline to begin with. Whenever I encountered a wall or a stifling fear, I opened a text file and just wrote what was on my mind. So it's basically self-talk. Eventually I talked myself into a solution to my problem. Once I have it, I go back to my manuscript and write out the scene.

Writing out what's in your mind is better than floundering in your thoughts.

peachalulu and Mumble Bee like this.
  4. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee The writer formerly known as Chained. Contributor

Basically he's a villian who is just terrible at it. The genetically modified rats he released to destroy the city ended up optimizing the sewer system, practicing good hygiene to stop disease, and implementing a very strict recycling program.

Hmmm, not a bad idea. I guess that's sort of what i did with this post...

peachalulu likes this.
  5. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Please, please finish it, I want to read this!

Mumble Bee, HelloSweetie and jannert like this.
  6. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

Sometimes the best solution isn't more writing time, but more thinking time. Don't feel pressured to write if you're not ready. Especially if you just end up producing disheartening drivel. Wait till you're really excited about a scene or an idea. It'll flow better then.

BTW, I'm with @Tenderiser on this one. Your idea is a cracker! I'd love to read it. It's very original.

Mumble Bee and EdFromNY like this.
  7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I second @jannert's thought. I sometimes think the worst thing to do is to jump into a writing project before you're ready.

I'm starting on a project now that's been fermenting for nearly 40 years. This, I admit, is a rather extreme example. But the thing is, good ideas take time to develop and they never really go away.

Mumble Bee and jannert like this.
  8. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Sounds good. I'd like to read it as well. Please finish!

Mumble Bee likes this.