1. Titan

Titan New Member

Writing articles

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by Titan, Mar 30, 2016.

Hi all, this is my first post.

I am not sure if I have come to the write place (sorry if not).

I am an engineer currently working in academia. I would like to increase my writing output. One side of my work is the academic journals, conferences and book chapters that I write. These are technical pieces of work.

There is one of many other sides to me which involves wanted to bring my subject matter to the masses, inspire others and share knowledge.

I would like to write articles about different topics based around engineering. I am seeking advice from the community on this. Should I consider self publishing? Although there are lots of thoughts and information posted online about self publishing books, I haven't seen any on self-publishing articles.

I have my own website, however I am not sure if this would be the best place to add my articles, as not sure how much exposure it would receive there? Also would this be classed as a published article, it seems there are some differences of opinion on this.

Finally, would it be OK to share an article I write so I can obtain some feedback from other writers. I this sort of thing normal?

As a side things I have also started writing a non fiction book.... lots to do! :)

Thanks everyone!

2. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

I do something similar, except I'm in economics. I occasionally write "public friendly" pieces for magazines.
    If your work is interesting, then the website might be okay. Heck, your students might enjoy it. (Or not, generally not. LOL)
    I'd suggest finding a magazine that might be a good fit. If nothing else, it would be a good place to start cutting teeth.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Titan likes this.
  3. Titan

Titan New Member

Thanks KhalieLa, I guess the only way to improve my writing is to write, although it would be good to get feedback from readers.
    I have been looking at magazine options and there are a few out there, but I think the work would need to be of a high standard to reach them (which is of course what I am aiming for :))
    Nice website by the way!
    I guess fiction books are the most popular? Wonder if there are ways of using our subject areas and turns our ideas into interesting stories (lol saying it like it's a new thing), I am sure many many authors have done this).

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Self-publishing is not a publishing credit in the sense that I think you mean.

You could blog. Not that that's a publishing credit either; I'm just saying that it seems to be the best format for what you have in mind.

5. KhalieLa

One of my fiction characters is a Gothic trader. As an economist, ancient trade routes are highly fascinating and I have conflict that revolves around trade disputes, so yeah, I guess I do that.

As for articles, choose a less prestigious magazine. There's bound to be a local one that would be dying for someone to make engineering feel more "homey." They will have editors to help. If you are used to writing in academia, whatever you put out will be miles ahead of what the local type magazines usually get. (a.k.a. Me and Bubba stories.) Visit your local public library and peruse their periodicals. If a local one doesn't pop out at you, ask. The librarians will know what's local. Submission guidelines are usual listed in the magazine and if not, you'll find their web address and guidelines will be posted there.

Also, you can try to find a group of local writers who can critique your work and provide feedback. (Bangs head on wall of personal frustrations!) After your two week probation period here and a minimum of two critiques of other people's work, you can post articles in the workshop and get feedback here. Unfortunately, posting in the workshop may count as "published" and bar you from getting the article published elsewhere.

6. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

ABC's Shark Tank will bring up this question: Are you selling a product or a service?
    I am not qualified to make a substantive statement, however, I suggest you add a donate button to your website (should you post online).

7. Titan

Titan New Member

Did a bit of reading on this. So for writing to have publishing credit, would need to have been review and approved by an editor (of some kind)? i.e blogs, self published articles, self-publishing books would not be reviewed and approved by an editor or reviewer.

Yes I am some digging and making a few enquires. I shall wait for my forum promotion and contribute myself before checking out the reviewing options here.

That's a really good point, thanks for bringing this up and forcing to think about this and be clear in what is the goal for me. I will get back to the community on this one after some further thought.

8. Titan

Titan New Member

I have written my first article and would be eager to get some feedback for anyone willing to read it and provide some feedback?

Where can I find the workshop? I sounds like I need to build up a bit of rep on the forum for this first.

Thanks

9. KhalieLa

upload_2016-3-31_16-14-39.png

10. KhalieLa

upload_2016-3-31_16-18-3.png

11. Titan

Titan New Member

Hi, sorry I missed this. Thanks for pointing it out

12. KhalieLa

No worries. You aren't the first one to miss it. A lot of people expect it to be hidden somewhere.
    Clearly, this is proof that the best place to hide something is in plain sight! LOL