1. TVDinner

TVDinner New Member

Pan's Labyrinth

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TVDinner, May 30, 2007.

Did anyone else see it. What did you think of the writing in the story? Personally I thought it was brilliant, both in writing and imagery.

My review of this movie is that it is incredible and EVERYTHING that everyone said about it, which is rare these days. It is an adult fairy tale and I would be wary of having children watch it as it is R rated and does deal with VERY adult themes, war, bloody death, and pretty scary beasts, etc.

The story is in Spanish so I watched the English subtitles WHICH is actually better in my opinion because you are forced to focus and watch the screen and then you will not miss any of the truely amazing sets, scenes and monsters/beasts/fairies, etc.

I loved every second of it from the begining to the end. Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

I thought it was absolutely brilliant.

Did you know... Pan's Labyrith got a 20 minutes standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival?

I watched the spanish one with subtitles because I'm against watching a film that has been dubbed (Except martial arts films because they are funny xD). I really enjoyed it and reccomend it without a doubt to anyone.

3. TVDinner

TVDinner New Member

I also watched the Spanish one with subtitles. I did not even know there was a dubbed one and I am happy I did not. that is incredible about the standing ovation. Did not know that.
    Almost always, if given the option, I will watch the subtitle version of a movie. In this case it also forced me to WATCH more closely and I was able to really see the amazing sets and props they used to create the magical world the girl was in. Incredible.

4. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

I actually just started watching that last night. I have the subtitled version. Cant wait to finish it. I got too tired and had to pause it.

5. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

very much my thing the dark imgery was just amazing the storyline was very good with its telling but the imagery was what captivated me its a world i beleive my mind wonders towards.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I too prefer to watch a subtitled film than a dubbed one. However, I also like to watch without the subtitles sometimes - I did so with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - to listen to the rythm of the speech. What I miss in context from not knowing the language is often made up for in the sheer aesthetic beauty of the dialogue, winding through the action. Of course, I only do that wih a movie that I find to be worth more than one viewing.

I have not yet seen Pan's Labyrinth, but have considered taking hold of it.

7. TVDinner

TVDinner New Member

for those of you who have seen it - what did you think of the entire Army story line and how it paralleled or related to the journey the little girl was on?

8. The Reaper

The Reaper Banned

Ive not seen this nor do i wish to but i will say the trailer has shown some very good visualizeations but sorry im not the subtitle kinda fello. I just cannit be bothered to read the screen while missing the movie.

9. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I liked how her dark alternate reality seemed more favourable than the day to day reality in which she lived - when of course it was rather black in both.

10. The Reaper

The Reaper Banned

Hold out Spoiler alerts really not everyone has seen this movie and to be told the outcome arrrgh would be a spoiler you should post spoiler before you write your post.

11. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

It isn't a spoiler to say that it is set just after the Spanish Civil War... It says that on the box. xD

12. TVDinner

TVDinner New Member

I dont think any spoilers have been posted??? sorry if any have.

This MIGHT be a spoiler, but I do not think so but anyway...
    -
    -
    -
    --
    -
    -
    -
    -
    --
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

I agree with you Gannon. The fantasy world she was in was also very scary and dark and violent, but similar to the "real world". I think the director meant to make it scary on "her level" and the real world on the "adult levels", which is why she seemed strong and brave in the real world.

13. cherry

cherry New Member

Bangor, Wales (uni) Hampshire, England (Home)
    I loved this movie, I saw it in Spanish with subtitles, and I don't think it would have have the same effect in English.
    I loved the imagery, and the story was a nice pace, didn't drag or anything.

14. TVDinner

TVDinner New Member

it definitely does not drag, but I think i was holding my breath for the entire movie, lol

15. The Reaper

The Reaper Banned

Bring back Knight Rider I say. And you didn't need to watch it with subtitles.

Damn fine series

16. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Bought it the week it came out and loved every minute of it.
    I did think the movie could have been a little tighter, and the two plots more interconnected. But its still an excellent movie.
    I'm still trying to figure out if the girl was only imagining everything, or if there really was a magical world she could see.

17. The Reaper

The Reaper Banned

I didn't buy Knightrider the minute it came out but i also enjoyed it on a whole and found it very interconnecting and yes i guess the series and movie knoght rider 2000 was magical in a way.

18. TVDinner

TVDinner New Member

I think it WAS a magical world that only she could see until she made the ultimate sacrifice.

19. The Reaper

The Reaper Banned

Sorry was he talking bout pans labryinth. I wondered because he certainly didn't use a quote from another part. I thought he was chatting bout knight rider and all.