Tags:
  1. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Patrick Süskind - Perfume

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Gannon, Apr 27, 2007.

Just thought despite having mentioned around other threads that I'd recommend this book to you all should you have not read it.

Labelled as a modern classic I was initially wary as I had read some true classics of late and whilst well written they lacked the turn the page quality I like in a book. This one however is devilishly moresome.

Set in C18th Paris a boy is born into a world of stench and it soon becomes apparent (to him) that he has a highly developed sense of smell. He begins to catelogue the capital by scent and we are engaged in his anecdotes in doing so.

He becomes apprentice to a Perfumer of repute and learns the trade before heading for Grasse in Southern France, the mecca of European scent production.

Here things take somthing of a dark twist - and we ourselves fall prey to Grenouille's charismatic performance and denoument.

Highly recommended modern classic.

(n.b recent film release with Alan Rickman and Dustin Hoffman based on book)

2. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

Interesting, if there are any Nirvana fans in the forum, apparently Perfume was one of Kurt Cobain's favourite books.

3. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

I'm reading it now and I must say it is incredible.