1. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Peachalulu's Creative Journey

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by peachalulu, Aug 7, 2014.

Hi all. Decided to keep tabs here on my progress with several things I'm doing. Ignore the dippy title but I not crazy about calling it a journal nor do I want to label it with the title of my project because that will probably change - :rolleyes:.
    Here's what I've been working on - Self publishing some short stories.
    That in itself could contain it's own thread. I had no idea it would be so difficult. I've hit every snag there is - first I didn't have MicrosoftWord - so I downloaded OpenOffice. I also downloaded Calibre and Sigil. Then it took me forever to figure out how to get the spaces out from between the paragraphs. I googled, I watched videos. I asked questions. Every site has specific specifications for formatting and when money is involved - being from Canada instead of the U.S. doesn't help either. I've got four shorts to post - Two need some work - Not Pink & The Parking Lot and one Elbow Room needs to be finished.

Other than that I've been thinking of doing a found prose piece based on signs that bombard me on the way to the city. I was thinking of taking every word from every sign and making some sort of poem prose-y piece.

Also I'm putting my historical romance Lucy on the back burner - my research isn't up to snuff and I'm learning I really have to be in a mood to write romance - most things flow pretty easy but Lucy is dragging.

I've been writing bits from my Dolls of Veras Crag project - that I'm loving. I'm researching the history of plastic and kitsch items. I think the project is more me or maybe it's just more fun. So I'll see how that goes.

I wish novels went as smoothly for me as a short story. Short stories I don't seem to have a problem with but novels, I don't know.

Lemex and GingerCoffee like this.
  2. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributing Member Contributor

Funny, when I decided to rework my old novel I put in spaces between paragraphs where the old typescript had none. Helps me see what's going on better. But . . . it hits me I really should have that as a paragraph formatting thing instead of double-spacing between one para and the next. The former I can go into WordPerfect settings and get rid of, presto-change-O! The latter? That's gonna be work.

Did you ever solve the problem in OpenOffice?

The sign idea sounds intriguing. Throw it up on the Workshop when you're done and let us see how it came out.

3. peachalulu

Yes, I actually found out how to get rid of them in OpenOffice and through Sigil - it was just one little setting button, that I kept missing them. Typical.
    I read the Smashwords guide book like three times and even though all the advice is for Microsoft Word a lot of the settings in OpenOffice are similar - But I had to keep looking things up on Wiki just to make sure.
    I don't mind the spaces when it's for exposition but for spats of dialogue the spaces look tedious.
    I'm also trying to format with Createspace for an actual physical copy book and low and behold it's not that compatible with OpenOffice - lol but thankfully there's some guy who offered a freebie format that works fine.

Will do. Just seen another good one today ( I live in wine country Ontario ) and one touristy spot had a sign that read - You had me at Merlot. lol.

4. peachalulu

Last night I was working on Not Pink. Did pretty good.
    I broke the story into three sections and copy and pasted them into new word docs so I could write new scenes in without wrecking the original.
    I haven't added any of the scenes I jotted down or came up with - right now I have Hart and Not Pink going into and purchasing something which I hope will tie into another new scene. So far it's feeling pretty seamless.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  5. Catrin Lewis

The version of WordPerfect I have, X6, comes with a feature that facilitates e-publishing. Haven't had the chance to try to use it yet.

6. peachalulu

I'm not sure what version mine is - it's old, old. I think it goes back about 8 years maybe more.

7. peachalulu

Got my proof copy of The Worms of Wicher-Woo from Createspace.:read: It looks really good! I went with matte for the cover because I have pretty strong beliefs about glossy and matte. Glossy for certain books - romances, ya, horror. There's something nice about a shiny romance book. It looks fresh and new and unread and waiting for a reader. But I love matte for offbeat fiction, general fiction anything that goes out on a limb. Feels a little edgy and different like it doesn't give a damn if you pick it up and read it.

I was also surprised at the length of my story. I was expecting something about the size of a pamphlet ( where's the staples? ). LOL. The story is only about 25 pages but given the 5X9 size it turned out to be 75 pages! Not bad feels like more like a novella.

My mom demanded to read it and I was nervous. I opened it and as typical all I seen was errors - I should've done this or that. But I decided to let her read it ( she hasn't read anything of mine in about 20 years. ) I was extremely nervous, my mom isn't rude and she's not blunt, but she can't hide when she doesn't like something. She's been pretty frank with my father about his art and in the past with my writing. However, she loved it! - totally shocked me. Even said she couldn't believe I was that good a writer. Made my day - :)

8. peachalulu

Still working on my proof of Wicher-Woo - I've had such a busy week. Oh, and my dad read it -?! He loved it too! Totally surprise, I didn't think he'd read it. He likes magazines - art magazines and articles but he isn't much into fiction the last books he recalls reading are - The Catcher in the Rye, On the Road, and Travels with Charley ( well that one again is biographical - which is more his thing ) My proof copy now has a nice been-read crease on the cover - :)

Working on Not Pink when I'm not working on the proof. So far it looks like the short story will be a novella. I've added 11 pages, 4 new scenes, a few more characters and expanded on a few that didn't get a lot of time. I've still managed to keep the bittersweet whimsy and the storyline relatively in tact - though I've added a few twists.

In fact a few scenes had me -lol-ing while I was writing them. Very excited to see this finished and polished.

I've also been working on my short Moonshot trying to flesh out the beginning.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    minstrel and GingerCoffee like this.
  9. peachalulu

Today I want to reach into my computer and pull out all it's guts. :mad: I'm working on my proof copy of Worms of Wicher-Woo. Yes, still. My progress feels slower than frozen molasses this week. I thought I had made all the adjustments in the right word.doc. It took me four hours the other night. I was up till like 2 in the morning.

So I upload to CreateSpace. So I check the copy through their viewer and.... the pages are loused up!... again!! :dry: Huge blank spaces and no idea how the code got messed up. I check it over and it still stares back at me wide-eyed and innocent - keeping its damn little secret.

Now, I'm double checking and find out I'm using the wrong word.doc, the messed up one. Here's a tip whenever you mess up a doc when trying to format - get rid of them because ( if you're like me ) they'll pile up and you won't be able to remember which one is the good one.

I have to start all over again. Arrrrgh!

10. peachalulu

Well, it's done finally!:) The Worms of Wicher-Woo is finally available on Amazon - in book form or in Kindle form - Till Wednesday the price on the book is lower. ( Not quite sure how I managed that, me and buttons don't exactly go together so it's a serendipitous mistake )

and here's the link on Smashwords - https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/458959

No obligations. But if you're in the mood for a surreal fairy tale you might want to check it out.

I'm so going to have to write a small article on this - if only to keep everything I did straight for the next time! Lol.

DeviouSquirrel and GingerCoffee like this.
  11. peachalulu

Stuck on one scene in Not Pink. I've been avoiding it for over a week. Just adding a sentence here and there.

I'm debating a dicey idea. I was thinking of cutting the scene off at the heels so to speak. It's not a sex scene but it's like the build up to a sex scene where the door closes sort of thing. The plan is - Keep the half I got, leave the scene midpoint - cut to the next day and have Not Pink refer to it later. This is dicey because I've only had one cut away scene that I've added and liked. But when I initially wrote the first draft NP was in real time ( he never sleeps or shuts down everything is a big long stream ) so I'm unsure about the cut. I'm going to try it though and see how it goes. I did like the new cut I made. Plus, I'm thinking the scene might have more impact if NP doesn't experience it in front of the reader but recalls the event to Hart adding an new element of emotions .... Hmmm. Well, as with anything in writing it's trial and error - I'm gonna go for it. All I can do is succeed or fail. Even if I fail, I learn. Win/win.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  12. peachalulu

Bought an art journal the other day and I've been trying things out. My medium is chalk pastels for now. I like the solid creamy color plus, water color drives me batty and I hate lines in markers and I can never seem to layer acrylic right. I've been doing each page in surreal pictures inspired by a work I've put on hold - Cockroach Apocalypse. I would love to do the story with art work. I just don't think my art work is up to snuff. It would be interesting to work with an illustrator. Have the finish the story first. Argh! I'm always torn between projects.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  13. peachalulu

Oh, my first customer review on Amazon - I'm jazzed! ( if it's yours Jannert - thank you! ) It's honest and clear - love it!

Trying to gather up some short stories to get ready for Nanowrite month. I decided to go the short story route instead of the novel route as I don't like having something unfinished at the end. For the word count when I was done last year, it only came to about 100 pages - too short for my novel and because I entered our sci-fi contest here days after, I lost momentum and didn't look back.

I think I've got about 18 possibilities so far. I have a folder where I write down ideas that have been waiting in line to be written for years. And I thought I'd give it a try during Nano - at the very least I'll have some interesting first drafts. Even if I only get three done that's great. The bulk is fantasy/sci fi, but I have a few dramas and a couple of crime thrillers and a couple of possible horrors. Pretty excited. I would love to finish some of the ones I started here like The House on the Moon, Moonshot etc.

jazzabel, minstrel and GingerCoffee like this.
  14. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

The short story route sounds like a good plan, the genres you mentioned could be a perfect mix for a book of short stories. :agreed:

peachalulu likes this.
  15. peachalulu

Just seen my aunt today. And Holy Toledo, she bought eight pb copies of the Worms of Wicher-Woo and had me sign all of them! ( I better practice, my hand writing looks like an eight year old boy that failed penmanship. Lol ) She's handed them out for gifts and gave one to the library. I was blown away.
    She wants a sequel though.

16. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

I am normally against sequels but for this story, I could totally see one. Have you gotten any more reviews on amazon yet? ;-)

17. peachalulu

I'm probably not going to do a sequel. But I never close off any option. I have one more review, not too sure who from but it was very positive. I don't think I'll be getting reviews from my relatives as Amazon was all new to them. But that's okay. As it stands I have two reviews.
    I think when I post Not Pink I'll try the select program ( I think it's called ) and offer the book free for a few days. That might generate more reviews. Maybe I'll even do a giveaway promotion for a pb copy of the book.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  18. peachalulu

Not Pink is taking a bit to finish. But I've been writing solid for the past few days. I'm trying to wrap it up, at least the new rough draft, before Nanowrite. So far the new Not Pink is coming along pretty smooth - hit one snag but kept on trucking. ( I'll have to smooth it out in the next drafts. ) The story which started as 22 pages is now 47 pages - I've added several new bots, including a scene with Loren's crazy robot Mr. Wilde. And several new scenes with Roxanne and Casey. Even a shopping scene. I'm trying to keep that balance between humor, bittersweet sadness - a threeway balance - interesting. The hardest scene I'm working on now is a scene between Hart, his father and Not Pink. Stayed up til one last night tweaking and rewriting, and tweaking and rearranging one monologue!

I'm hoping Nanowrite goes good this year. I'm getting pretty excited and hoping I can finally bring to life some of my stories that have been sitting around for years.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  19. Catrin Lewis

There's no way on God's green earth I could do Nanowrimo this year. Someday, maybe. But you, I wish you good luck, creative juices unstinting, and somehow, time to sleep now and again.

peachalulu likes this.
  20. peachalulu

Thanks! It is hectic and I wouldn't recommend Nano for everyone. There were nights last year where I was up till 2 a.m. but I just couldn't stop going over things and tweaking them.

21. Catrin Lewis

2:00 AM? You mean you were getting to bed early?

22. peachalulu

That's early? Lol.

23. Okon

Okon Contributing Member Contributor

Technically, it's very early in the morning;).

peachalulu likes this.
  24. peachalulu

Well tomorrow, or 12:00 midnight tonight, is the start of Nanowrite - gulp! I haven't finished Not Pink yet so I'm considering getting it done before I start my first short story on my list - the hesitantly titled - Smackdolligus.

I've picked up some research ( a boat load of books at the library ) for Smackdolligus so I can grab what I need and for the rest - I'll make crap up. lol. Last year I averaged 5 pages a day, this time I'm shooting to improve it to 7 but we'll see how that goes. If I could stop bloody tweaking every paragraph I might, but I've yet to solve that issue - even during a time crunch.

Smackdolligus was supposed to be novella-to-novel material so it could take a week to get through it. I'm very nervous though because I've only got a vague image for it in my brain and only one character. It's slightly ya so I'm thinking a boy - Oliver.

25. Okon

Okon Contributing Member Contributor

Pardon me if I missed this in an earlier post: Smackdolligus?!

A hint, a smidgeon? Tell! Or at least give us a vague idea of what you're researching:cool:.