1. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

Pen and paper, what method

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ChaosReigns, Apr 26, 2013.

do any of you like me who prefer writing pen and paper notice that ideas turn out better in a certain way like for me, i either have to write in pencil or fountain pen, and generally in A5 (or A6) notebooks

i wondering if this is just a quirk of how i write or if this is something that other writers use too

2. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 Contributing Member

Same here. I write with pen in a marble notebook before I type it. I like doing it like that because I love writing in the margins.

3. ChaosReigns

oh, and i make sure my notebooks dont have margins, it irritates me... so im the complete opposite there Blackstar

4. Quille

Quille Senior Member

I buy myself nice books for my Journal and use a fountain pen with purple ink. For fiction, I go back and forth between the computer and pen/pencil and paper. I quite often start handwriting a story, but switch to the computer when my fingers can't keep up with my head. Later, I print it out and scribble all over the document.

5. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

I only resort to pen and paper when I feel stuck or overwhelmed. I like how pen and paper feels rough - in that I feel like it doesn't need to be perfect. It can't be erased as cleanly, but I can scribble things out and write in the margins if I need to. Writing on paper helps me to clear my head. I know I will edit it when I type it up anyway so I feel free to write anything.

6. ChaosReigns

ooh purple ink, what make fountain pen do you use?

7. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

I use Leuchtturm1917 large, master ruled notebooks for developing essays and short stories. What's nice about these (to me) is the tables of content and the labels that are included which allow you to archive your notebooks and keep your crazy writer ideas somewhat organized.

These aren't as easy to find in the U.S. as they are in Europe, in my experience.

8. Quille

Quille Senior Member

I have a Caran d'Arche pen. I bought it by weight lol My previous pen was too heavy and made my hand ache.

9. RHK

RHK Member

I mostly use the computer, I have to say. However, I have noticed that writing by hand makes me more economical with my language and frees up my brain when I hit a wall. I think because it slows me down, it makes the process more meditative/intuitive. I always do free writing by hand.

As for stationery, I don't have a set place /pen for first drafts. I have a notebook for plans and sometimes I use my journal for rough scribbles (I'm a terrible diarist anyway). But if I am writing the first draft of a short story or something, I usually use unlined A4 paper and a bog standard biro.

10. mg357

mg357 Active Member

I write with pen and paper then I do the editing on the computer.

11. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Contributing Member

Lately I've been doing all my writing with a mechanical pencil in a cheap little notebook. I prefer small notebooks because then I can write on a crowded train and not take up too much space, and the people around me won't be able to read over my shoulder. (It's not like I'm trying to protect my ideas or anything, I'm just a lousy writer and don't want anybody to notice. Don't tell anyone.)

12. Mithrandir

Mithrandir Contributing Member

In the general vicinity of the Atlantic Ocean
    My handwriting is too disgusting for writing. I do all my work on the computer, using word, onenote, and skydrive. I am of the new computer age. Some of my earliest memories involve the computer-stuffed office of my programmer father and the classic video games installed on those tan dinosaurs.

I take notes in class with pen and paper, but any thought that I want to be able to understand in a month will either be committed to memory or committed to my faithful hard drive.

I read mostly on a kindle. I only have physical copies of The Lord of the Rings and Isaac Asimov's works.

13. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

I like writing in composition notebooks and I almost always use colored ink. I am a huge fan of bright colors. I don't know that it has any bearing on how well I write.. I think it's just a preference. It's probably something to do with routine since I've done that for so long. When I was teenager I would only write in blue ink with a specific brand of cheap pens because I liked how the ink flowed. How the ink flows and the ease of use of a pen is really important to me.

I alternate between writing it down first and typing it up first. It changes depending on the time of day or access to my computer.

14. Nicki_G

Nicki_G Member

I write with a good ol' fashion pencil and legal pads. I get my best work done that way...At least I think it's my best work! =P I will only change it up if I'm stuck on something. It helps me generate new ideas if I write differently and in a new place as well!

15. Misha94

Misha94 New Member

When I write poetry, I generally like to write with a ballpoint pen and in one of my small (A6) leather notebooks. As for prose, I generally prefer to type that (although occasionally I will write using pen and paper when the mood strikes).

16. AshleyFinn

AshleyFinn Member

I write notes on paper but ultimately everything goes on my laptop. The good thing about pen and paper is the only danger is fire. If you do not backup your computer in case of a virus (more likely than fire) you could lose everything.

The pros of computers far outweigh traditional ways.

17. ARDD

ARDD Member

To date I've only used an iPad for writing. I might invest in a notebook for ideas but this has worked for me so far.

18. Yoshiko

This is why I have my WIP saved on: two laptops, two external HDDs (a complete back-up for each laptop), and two flash drives.

19. ChaosReigns

nice :) i used to use Parker fountain pens, but found them too light and thin (my hand used to cramp up real bad, it does with biro's too), i now use a Sheaffer fountain pen, i can find purple ink, but i tend to use black

its good to see that there is still a useage of notebooks, i do transfer my stuff to laptop, but only if i really have to (like for my main piece, twinsanity) other than that its a notebook and pen

20. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 Contributing Member

Ever thought of emailing it to yourself too? I always do that.

21. ChaosReigns

why didnt i think to mention that? i have enough email accounts to be able to do so

22. Yoshiko

I have done for other projects. For my WIP it's all saved in my 'sent' box anyway because I send every chapter to my proof-reader as I finish it. When I had a problem with one of my laptops recently she offered to email me everything I'd sent her relating to my novel - turns out she compiles all of the chapters I send her into a single document. :) It's kind of reassuring to know that there is a copy of my novel being kept safe in another country. :p

23. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I personally can't stand writing without a keyboard. It's just too slow and my hand starts to hurt. It's also a pain in the buttocks for people like me who like to edit on the fly.

That and re-typing my manuscript seems like such a waste of time (for me, anyways). I also like knowing what I am writing is formatted correctly (by using a computer).

However, I do use a sketchpad to draw things before I write about them (sometimes). I also take a lot of notes on my iPhone when I am not around a computer.

24. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

You don't need multiple email accounts. You can use a single account to email yourself. Likewise you can use your phone to email yourself. I do it all the time with my iPhone, since I type random notes with it all the time when I am out of the house.

25. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Contributing Member

Word processing all the way, tried the pen, fountain only made awesome spiders, biro ran out or ripped paper. And thanks to my handwritting all i got was a WTF (fudge) and hand cramp. Tho i will outline on paper as im not always at home and i can keep up with my brain. But i wont write the actual story on paper at all because teh first (and only) time i did it, i had 4 pages of crossing out and spelling mistakes and rewrites of the same sentance. Word processing just lets you have total creative control and you can change your mind and sentace easily.