1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

pen name

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Rumwriter, Jan 23, 2013.

For a long time I have been writing under the name "David Rockoff," David being my first name and Rockoff being my grandmother's maiden name. A few months ago, upon his death, I learned about the already well-established David Rakoff. I shrugged off the similarities in his name and my pen name, and continued writing as David Rockoff, but a few days ago someone reading one of my stories noted the similarity.

Is this a problem? Do I need to write under something more unique?

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

I wouldn't. The names are sufficiently different and you've already "established" your pen name.

3. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

I should add that I haven't been published yet, so if I need to change it, the time to do it is now.

4. hippocampus

hippocampus Active Member

It may not be your name, but it's a combination of your name and a family name. I'd say you're fine. The only reason someone noticed the similarity was probably due to the publicity of his death.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i would wonder if you really want to go forth with a name that can and probably will be taken as an off-color reference by some... but as long as you're not writing erotica, you may get away with it... and if you are, it may be a plus... ;)