1. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

pen name

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Rumwriter, Jan 23, 2013.

For a long time I have been writing under the name "David Rockoff," David being my first name and Rockoff being my grandmother's maiden name. A few months ago, upon his death, I learned about the already well-established David Rakoff. I shrugged off the similarities in his name and my pen name, and continued writing as David Rockoff, but a few days ago someone reading one of my stories noted the similarity.

Is this a problem? Do I need to write under something more unique?

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

I wouldn't. The names are sufficiently different and you've already "established" your pen name.

3. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

I should add that I haven't been published yet, so if I need to change it, the time to do it is now.

4. hippocampus

hippocampus Active Member

It may not be your name, but it's a combination of your name and a family name. I'd say you're fine. The only reason someone noticed the similarity was probably due to the publicity of his death.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i would wonder if you really want to go forth with a name that can and probably will be taken as an off-color reference by some... but as long as you're not writing erotica, you may get away with it... and if you are, it may be a plus... ;)