Pen Name

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Leaka, Dec 30, 2007.

Tags:
  1. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

Leaka,

How about Marshal Moon?

Maverick Moon?

Micheal Moon

Marvin Moon

Melvin Moon

Mitchell Moon

Marcus Moon

Micah Moon

Montgomery Moon

Memphis Moon

I don't know, I was going along with the whole M Moon concept.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I was so tempted to paraphrase Tom Cullen of The Stand.

3. murphcas

murphcas New Member

I don't know if I would use a pen name... I probably would cause my real name is just so plain that I would want something to stick out. I'd probably use Leonie as the first name cause I absolutely love that name. Not sure about the last name though, maybe I'd just keep my real last name.

Besides my name being too plain, I would probably only resort to using a pen name so crazy people couldn't stalk me if I ever became famous haha Not saying that people would but it would be a precaution.

4. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

ROTFLMAO I didn't even realize that when I wrote it... :)

5. Lijde

Lijde New Member

Lijde.

It's my Pen name, internet name, and occasionally, a pet name.

Full would probably be "Lijde Avarul Senje." Sounds foreign and more me then plain old Tabitha.

And another name for "Moon" could be "Yue." It's the Chinese word for moon, and IMO it's very pretty...well, if you're aiming for pretty that is. C:

6. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

On my first publication I'll use my real name. If it becomes a success, I shall rejoyce. If it becomes a notorious piece of trash, I shall simply change my real name forever and deny I wrote the thing.

If you're out of ideas for pen names, use your WOW avatars.

drizzt_07836

3v1l_l0rdz0rz

~*F0xyNymph*~

===HAXORJAX===

Guaranteed unique!

7. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Probably get in trouble with the Drizzt one though :p

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah, never piss off a drow, especially that one.

9. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

I sometimes write letters to the editor of various local and state newspapers. My letters are generally of a political nature. Many have been published in several different newspapers.

During the last Presidential campaign, when Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama were having their scuffles, I wrote a letter favoring candidate Obama over candidate Clinton.

Shortly afterward, my wife came to me in a panic. Our phone number is a listed number, and there was a message on our voice mail from a person identifying himself as "Right Wing Jim." His message was filled with explicatives. Apparently, Jim had a limited vocabulary as many of his words were of the four-letter variety. He said "I know where you live," and "I'm going to come to your house and kick the blank out of you."

From that day forward, I wrote a minimum of a letter a week to the newspapers until election day, all using a pen name.

For a while, I used "Jefferson Codey" (From my book's title, "The Jefferson Bible Code.) Then someone confused me as being from the family of former NJ governor Richard Codey, and I started using other names, including one of my main character's name, Matthew Rush.

Now, and it's sad that I have to do this, but any time I write a letter in the least bit political, for the safety of my 10 year old daughter and family, I will use a pen name.

I plan to use my real name on my book, when it's published. I have ideas for pen names too, but at this point, I'm thinking I'd rather use my real name.

"The" in Spanish is "el" or "la."

My daughter's name is Kayla.

"Kay" is the phonetic spelling of "Que," in spanish, "What?"

"La" in Spanish is "The"

So, in Spanish, Kayla means "What the?"
    :eek:

Charlie :D

10. Kas

Kas New Member

Wow, that sucks, Charlie. Most likely he was just making an ass of himself, trying, ineffectually, to intimidate. . But when you've got a family, it's better to be cautious.

I would proudly affix my name to anything meaningful I wrote, but I'm not responsible for anyone else. In the end, it doesn't matter whether people know you wrote it or not, so long as your message is appreciated. It's just irritating to still have this problem in supposedly civilised countries, and I would use my real name as a matter of principle.

People like that should relocate to Colombia, and see how they make out. And I'm glad you didn't let his impotent whining stop you.

11. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

He strengthened my resolve. I had only intended to write that one letter. I never intended to write a letter a week. And those, I sent to about 40 different New Jersey newspapers (all the newspapers on a letter-writing website I found) every week.

I even made a pattern for myself: I alternated between positive letters for my candidate and negative letters against the (general election) opponent, and worked my way through a list of issues covering a different issue every week.

It got to the point where I no longer looked for the newspapers where my letters were published or saved them. Big change from my first letter, when I was so excited I bought multiple copies and saved them all.

Charlie

12. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

I thought this thread was safe until I saw the WoW tags. XD

I'm thinking of Thomas Falcon - My current name has already been used for a GPS, a Dictionary and an alcoholic beverage so I can't see myself being taken too seriously =P

13. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

I'm gonna hunt them down and discover your name, now. :D

I don't really have a pen name (I have never actually submitted anything) but I'm thinking that Danny Cooper may be an interesting name to try out.

And my back-up is Cadwallender Jones, simply because I love it. :D

14. Toomai

Toomai New Member

I have a pen name. Rebekah Larson. Though I was previously considering Evangeline Edwards.
    Lueka: what about Edward Moon? James Moone? Old Victorian names sound great with Moon or Moone.

15. Fibonacci

Fibonacci New Member

hmmm the James Moone one sounds pretty good.

I like the idea of pen names, since I generally prefer anonymity. But I find it is a hard task to come up with one you like. It's like when you register for an email and everything is taken, so you start coming with names like Dogmoonwind814 - the frustration level can be the equivalent. But I guess when you are making an email ID you are kind of strapped for time. With a pen name you can always be patient until it comes.

I like Rebekah Larson....good one!

16. Chumbutter

Chumbutter New Member

What about Micah Moon or something. Milo Moon.

17. Tall and Weird

Tall and Weird New Member

If I decide to use one rather than my real name, it would be Richary Barrd.

It might not mean anything to anyone else but it's based on something that happened to me a long time ago. :)

18. amateur

amateur New Member

my pen name would be Lottie Martins the first is the nickname of a charecter in my currant book and the last is her foster mums surname i chose the surname because one of my ex boyfriends name was Martin and i still love him but haven't seen him for so long we split because he changes school
    the other name i was playing with is
    Carmen Crawford
    carmen is my fave opera because it was the 1st i saw and Crawford was my nanny's surname she died 4 years ago and is the one who introduced me to music (opera, and classical)
    i do like my real name Eleanor Aimee (prounounced:E-mAY) Denise Young and may just change the surname
    Eleanor Crawford
    -
    I changed my mind my pen name will be Aimee Fitzroy

19. Green Tea

Green Tea Banned

Using a pen name

I have a very common name.

So common, when I Google myself, the search brings back 22,800,000 hits. At the top of this list is an author who has my exact name and who writes some rather unsavory material. As well, there is a screenwriter whose credits include a blockbuster superhero movie.

Now, I understand the world is a big place and I am far far far from being a published writer. But still, this issue is on my mind and I am wondering about the Forum's thoughts on picking up a pen name.

I actually quite like my name, and respect my parents for giving it to me. A small fantasy of mine is to someday deliver a Christmas package to my parents with 2 copies of my first published novel. Having my name on the cover is needless to say a big point for me.

Still, I would hate to be confused with the other writers mentioned above. I could use initials, similar to F.Scott Fitzgerald, J.R.R Tolkien, or J.K. Rowling. or simply drop my first name, ex. Salman Rushdie (born Ahmed Salman Rushdie).

What do you think? Do you use a pseudonym? Good? Bad?

20. Vampire

Vampire New Member

I don't use a pseudonym but I think it is good as people who like the other author with your name won't get confused.

21. JoeMusings

JoeMusings Member

When I was still rabid about politics, I had this blog called "Political Joe." I went by the pseudonym "Poe Joe," which I thought was really clever at the time.

I soon became quieter about my political beliefs, and refocused my attention on philosophy and literature. I created a new blog called "Musings of Joe," keeping the 'Joe' aspect of my previous name. This is where I derived my username for this site.

Well, at this point, some of my friends started calling me "Joe" in real life. And, after a few weeks, someone noticed that if you combine "Joe" with my real last name, you got "Jolie" (Joe+Lee), like Angelina Jolie.

So now I go by the pseudonym "Ian Jolie," "Ian" being my real first name.

22. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Glad you found a first name to go with Moon Leaka. I personally wanted wolf somewhere in my pen name and came up with a classic/out of date pen name. That has wolf as the last name, though I tacked an e on the end just to make it look fancy.

23. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've used a couple of noms de plume... one, for books i don't want it known that the writer is a woman and the other, for a series of x-rated, semi-erotic short stories, to keep them apart from all my other work...

24. rachel21321

rachel21321 New Member

Sir Ender, like, Ender's Game?

25. MC94

MC94 New Member

I may look a little stupid, but is a pen name an author name of some sort? Or a name you give your pen/the object you write with? LOL